Cheapest way to convert to 10 speed

silverbugle
silverbugle Posts: 21
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have got an old Trek MTB I use for a bit of commuting and a bit of fitness training. It is currently fitted with an LX triple chainset, front and rear mechs and has an 8 speed cassette with Gripshift shifters. The cassette and chain are pretty worn and due for a change, so I thought I might upgrade a bit at the same time. From my research I think I could change it to 9 speed by just changing the shifters, cassette and chain, but I would like to change it to 10 speed as there is wider choice of cassettes and the jumps between the gears will be smaller.

As far as I can tell the new Shimano MTB 10 speed shifters (Dyna Sys) are only compatible with other 10 speed Dyna Sys stuff. I don't really want to replace the whole group (around £160 for Deore at Chain Reaction) so would the following work:

I have read on some forums that to get wider and lower gearing on road bikes, people have fitted 9 spd MTB parts (cassettes and rear mechs) to 10 speed STI shifters. Could I fit a set of flat bar 10 speed STI shifters with a 10 speed cassette and chain, and would it work with either road or MTB cassettes? If that works that would seem to be the cheapest option.

If that won't work, I think need at least Dyna Sys shifters, cassette, chain and rear mech because I understand that not only do the Dyna Sys shifters pull a different amount of cable, but the rear mech moves differently as well. Is that the same for the front mech as well and lastly could I get away with keeping the original chainset?

Comments

• Deore drive will get you there
  • Out of interest why would you want to go to a 9 or 10 speed cassette?

My commuter is also 8x3. But it serves the purpose. Don't find the jump between gears too taxing.

Plus it could be cheaper to replace with NOS.

Do you want to tax your energy commuting? Just my thoughts.
  • Which parts do you think I need to buy?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The bits that are worn - cassette and chain = about £20.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The bits that are worn - cassette and chain = about £20.

Agree, replace like for like.

It is a commute bike, cheaper and you don't arrive at the office sweaty.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    8 speed is tough, cheap and reliable. And is exactly what I use on my get about bike, like the others, I would just get a new cassette and chain (if the rings are worn, a new set of rings or chainset).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-acera-hg41-8-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod68154

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-z7-chain/rp-prod51830

£15 and could be ready to go!
  • Thank you for the replies so far. As I said in my post, I use the bike for commuting and fitness training. For the fitness training bit I would like smaller gaps between the gears and the added choice of cassette ranges that 10 speed brings.

Any advice on how I do that as cheaply as possible will be gratefully received.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm not sure why fitness training needs closer ratios, but the cheapest way is list all the parts you need - mechs, shifters, cassette, chain, possibly crankset and check out the online shops.

Or go single speed and get fit that way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Agree with the above, if you go to 10 or 9 speed, then you have a larger selection of gears and range.

I don't think this would help you, I would stick with the equipment that you have now (and replace).

What would you gain from 3x10 or 3x8 or however many combinations.

Personally I would just replace, my commuter is the same and I don't feel the need to upgrade.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Deore is the cheapest 10 speed MTB set up, seperately. You will need:

Rear shifter
    Rear mech
    Chain
    Cassette, and possibly:
    Chainrings (10 speed will work on 8 speed rings, but is not ideal, and is worth changing with a whole new system anyway).
    Front mech - the one you have has a good chance of working adequately, but the narrower 10 speed cages do shift better
    Front shifter - as above, most work fine.
    Basically there can be a bit of trial and error with mechs/rings and shifter, people report different results on shifting quality.

You could go for 10 speed Shimano flat bar shifters as they will work with an 8 speed Shimano rear mech and 10 speed cassette. However the 8 speed rear mech may not have the ability to reach some of the larger sprockets on some options of 10 speed cassette - it depends on the rating. May not have the capacity either, hence if you want the flexibility of the 10 speed cassette choice I would not go this route. The shifters seem expensive compared to MTB 10 speed too.

Groupset deals are worth looking at, ie:

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m610-triple-transmission-groupset-70201.html

Re the steps in the ratios, if you already have a 11-28 eight speed cassette, going to a ten speed 11-36 will not lessen any gaps, as usually there is a 32 and 36 added to a standard 11-28 set up. But of course, as you say, or many options so depends on what you get. Also note that 10 speed chainsets often have the range reduced from standard 8 and 9 speed triples ie 42-32-24, or even less on some.
  • Supersonic

Thanks for the detail. For the ratios I am planning to go down rather than up. I have an 11-30 now with a 44-32-22 crankset.

For the cassette I am looking for something like a 11-26 or 12-27, and I would keep my cranks, I don't see the point of the reduced range 10 speed cranks.

From what I have seen on forums so far, your post and the Tech FAQs I have just discovered on this site:

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12733834

where it says:

"4. Nine speed front dérailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front dérailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front dérailleur."

I could go either with Tiagra SL-4603 (£67 at F W Evans) or 10 speed MTB shifters and rear mech (£57 for Deore on Chain Reaction). I'll need add a cassette and chain whichever option I choose.

I will probably go with the Deore shifters and rear mech. Its cheaper that the Tiagra shifters and will get me part way to a full 10 speed system if I choose to finish it off.

I am not in hurry, but when I do get round to it I will re-post with the results.