Fox 34 float 160mm travel issues

Herdwick
Herdwick Posts: 523
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently had an issue with a fox 34 fork that was send for servicing, clunking sounds and when pumped up to 80psi the fork extended beyond the 160mm travel, at 100 psi the fork went up to 175mm travel

Came back from the fox authorised dealer in greece, the clunks are fixed but the issue with the travel increasing when pumped up remained, anyone had this sort of problem before?
“I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Something is very wrong. Send it back.
  • Herdwick
    Something is very wrong. Send it back.

Yes I know, the fork belongs to a friend and it's the second time that goes to the dealer in 4 months and came back with the same issue.
    The dealer is uncooperative, atleast it's coverd by guarantee and didn't pay anything so far but didn't get fixed either. Any recomentations to contact for help and parts if need be?

I can overhaul it my self but parts down here are hard to comeby
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Shuttle bumper has probably collapsed.
  • Herdwick
    Shuttle bumper has probably collapsed.

You think? I saw the drawings from fox's site and is a probable cause, also the travel adjust spacer is of a rubbery compount and tends to collapse under pressure or maybe is fitted upside down with the conical facing up and slides over the shuttle bumper on to the spring assy, who knows...
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Took apart the fork today and discovered that the negative spring plate was replaced with one from a 170mm fork (checked on fox website for part numbers and diagrams) also the shuttle bumper looked tired and was to soft.
    Another thing is that the negative spring weakens and the fork looses it's sensitivity and progression.

After contacting the guy who supposedly serviced the fork and asked about the negative spring plate mod, told me that he did it because the owner told him was unable to set the sag at low pressure -60psi- with out the fork being deep in the travel so gave it a bit more travel to compensate for the loss sagged at low pressures
    After a discussion I ended up agreeing to buy a new 2015 air shaft assy as there is no replacement negative spring and wouldn't cover it as a warranty if I didn't sent the fork back to be fixed by them.
    Mind you, I got the fork on monday from ''servicing'' and after filling it up with air notticed the fork will extend beyond the 160mm travel that was set and stopped at 175+mm at around 100psi

The fork was sent to the dealer 2 times in four months for inspection and repair first time came back and it was ok but in 4 months it developed the travell increase issue, sent out again and came back monday with fresh oil in the lowers and nothing else.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A Fox 34 at 170mm must have horrific flex, it's bad enough at 160mm.
  • Herdwick
    replaced the negative spring assy and set the fork at 170mm travel, added 25cc of fox fluid in the air chamber, also replaced the oil in the damper with motorex w10 fork oil and set at 30% sag the fork works a treat, stays high in the travel and when you hit the odd rut it takes it without bottoming out harshly actualy works quite smooth for a crap fork that is
    ― Kurt Vonnegut