High tech that is finally useful!?

Herdwick
Herdwick Posts: 523
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Came across this today and want to share and comment looks really promissing or another gimmick?

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/news-sussmybike-perfekt-suspension-setup-for-everyone/
“I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That looks like a good idea, but the deciding factor in its success will be the cost.
    If it's available for, say, £25 then it will sell well. However, if it costs £££ then very few people will buy it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    If it actually helps to adjust your suspension will sell good even if it's expensive, but can't argue what is expensive because we have seen outrageous prices on useless stuff because they are 'enduro' specific etc.

I hope someone will test it and give some feedback as there are a lot of riders outhere that own bikes beyond their limits and skill level but strugling to get a descend ride because their ability to do tune their suspension is limited and not fully understand the proscess
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Would maybe help setting up suspension for different terrain? Use it on different rides, analyse how the shock is working and adjust to suit?? Maybe the precursor to computer controlled suspension?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Too late to be a pre-curser isn't it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Suspension set up involves too much personal preference for a computer to tell you how to set it up right.
    I find the manual set up process of sessioning a bit of track and tweaking set up really useful to understand how it reacts when pushed hard.
    Take the time to learn how to set it up and you will get a lot more out of it than a computer could give you. People are just too lazy to do things for themselves and expect it done for them.
    You can't expect to get the most out of your bike when riding it if you don't really understand how it will react to various situations
  • JGTR
    I meant active suspension adjustment via ECU control, bit like active damper control on car, that constantly adjusts the suspension to suit the terrain. As far as I know this system is ultimately just a data logger?
  • The Rookie
    This is just a datalogger, but computer controlled suspension is already being sold right now, so as I said, this is too late to be a pre-cursor for something you can already buy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    This is just a datalogger, but computer controlled suspension is already being sold right now, so as I said, this is too late to be a pre-cursor for something you can already buy!

Agree, and it may well be the future of high end mountain biking, Then once there is a computer, you may as well have ABS as well and throw in a computer controlled steering damper and auto transmission. Lights that come on on their own and electric seat adjustment and you cant fix anything with out plugging a lap top in

Sounds like a wrong turn to me
  • JGTR

I know you've already said it, twice now, bloody forum nazis :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    ABS won't ever work on mountain bikes, there are times when you want to be able to lock both wheels.
    A datalogger is only as useful as your ability to interperate what that data means.
    A much better alternative to this is the TF Tuned masterclass, a morning of theory and maintenance followed by riding with their technicians to help you get set up.
  • brianbee
    ABS won't ever work on mountain bikes, there are times when you want to be able to lock both wheels.
    just needs an over ride button then
  • Awesome idea and it just adds to the scope of suspension setup. This tells me that people are taking the sport seriously and it can only be good for us all. Saying that I would probably never need one but I think most professionals would use it. Back in the day we never had HR monitors, cadance sensors, power meters or even GPS. Ithink this is all fantastic for the sport! I can even follow Rachael Atherton on Twitter - how good is that!
    Stay positive people :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Awesome idea and it just adds to the scope of suspension setup. This tells me that people are taking the sport seriously and it can only be good for us all. Saying that I would probably never need one but I think most professionals would use it. Back in the day we never had HR monitors, cadance sensors, power meters or even GPS. Ithink this is all fantastic for the sport! I can even follow Rachael Atherton on Twitter - how good is that!

Pro riders wouldn't use it. They know how to set up their suspension properly and run their suspension a lot different to normal riders, usually a lot stiffer.
  • The Rookie

I know you've already said it, twice now, bloody forum nazis :lol:
    Because you didn't seem to realise it was already on sale!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Awesome idea and it just adds to the scope of suspension setup. This tells me that people are taking the sport seriously and it can only be good for us all. Saying that I would probably never need one but I think most professionals would use it. Back in the day we never had HR monitors, cadance sensors, power meters or even GPS. Ithink this is all fantastic for the sport! I can even follow Rachael Atherton on Twitter - how good is that!

I don't use any of those things whilst riding a bicycle.
    And I don't do Twitter.

How good is that?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brianbee

And I don't do Twitter.

How good is that?

You mean you haven't got a device that tells you to with in 3',' which bit of canal path your currently cycling up. I'm not sure how you manage to ever find your way home :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Call me old fashioned but I prefer an OS map to a GPS.
    No chance of a flat battery plus it's easier to spot alternative routes and you can mark notes on the map.
  • cooldad

And I don't do Twitter.

How good is that?

You mean you haven't got a device that tells you to within 3',' which bit of canal path you're currently cycling up? I'm not sure how you ever manage to find your way home :lol:

If you are going to attempt insults, at least have the decency to get the spelling and grammar right. Or people might think you're an idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc

And I don't do Twitter.

How good is that?

You mean you haven't got a device that tells you to within 3',' which bit of canal path you're currently cycling up? I'm not sure how you ever manage to find your way home :lol:

If you are going to attempt insults, at least have the decency to get the spelling and grammar right. Or people might think you're an idiot.

I bet you checked your grammar carefully in that response. One mistake and you would have been ripped.
  • brianbee

And I don't do Twitter.

How good is that?

???? wow I was agreeing with your low tech attitude to cycling, but hey if you want to find it insulting you rock on

Nb you should not be starting sentences with conjoining words, especially if you are a grammar Nazis. Personalty I don't care about such things but as you clearly do, take heed
  • Wow, few uptight people! How can my love of technology get you offside, you must be using a computer to post right Why so touchy.. If you dont use any technology that is great. I will respect your decision. Just as you should respect my views on all the fantastic technology we have at our finger tips. I belive Bike Radar promotes plenty and brings it to the masses. Lifes good :)
  • Oh and I am posting from a smart phone. Hope this fact will not infuriate you! Haha - ok now that's being cheeky..
  • cooldad
    ???? wow I was agreeing with your low tech attitude to cycling, but hey if you want to find it insulting you rock on

Nb you should not be starting sentences with conjoining words, especially if you are a grammar Nazis. Personalty I don't care about such things but as you clearly do, take heed

That is quite obvious.

I suppose you could blame cuts in education spending, but I suspect you read the Mail, in which case your case is hopeless.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Oh and I am posting from a smart phone. Hope this fact will not infuriate you! Haha - ok now that's being cheeky..

Not at all. I discussed these smartphone gadgets with my butler whilst dictating this reply to my secretary, who will no doubt pass it on to a footman to take down to the telegraph office, whence it will likely be published on these very fora.

Danged clever bits of kit I believe.

Personally when riding in the wilds of the Surrey Hills I find it easier to employee some local guides, both for myself and to lead my porters to a scenic lunch spot, where they can prepare for my arrival.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ABS won't ever work on mountain bikes, there are times when you want to be able to lock both wheels.

When would you want to lock both wheels? For my type of riding I would hate to lock the front. Just curious in what scenario would you want this?
  • rockmonkeysc

When would you want to lock both wheels? For my type of riding I would hate to lock the front. Just curious in what scenario would you want this?

Scrubbing speed in to steep switch backs with catch berms, especially in the wet when you can easily control a two wheel drift.
  • ABS won't ever work on mountain bikes, there are times when you want to be able to lock both wheels.

Scrubbing speed in to steep switch backs with catch berms, especially in the wet when you can easily control a two wheel drift.

That is above my riding level, but if you lock both wheels then you are loosing all traction.

Seems counter intuitive to me.

But I think I get what you are saying, it's easier to get the bike drifting and sliding rather than to lose speed?
  • The Rookie
    If its slippery you can lock the front OK, personally I don't as I'm not a riding god like the RM, rear certainly on slippery decents it can be useful to lock it to act as a stable drag, trying to hold it from locking can create an instability.