Supplements to help with general health

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
Its that time of year where i seem to get one cold after another.

My diet is pretty decent, I get my 5 a day and other than the odd takeaway and a few pints at the weekend i cant see where i can really amend this to make a huge difference to my health. Although i cant stand any form of seafood so am probably missing out on fatty oils etc..

I currently dont take any vitamins / supplements so was looking into anything that would not only help with winter training but also to help me avoid colds and viruses as i seem to pick them up constantly (im currently on my second cold in as many months).

Any advice ?
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I think the general consensus on these types of threads is that you only need supplements to address specific deficiencies. If you don't have any specific deficiencies and are on an otherwise reasonably healthy diet, you probably don't need any supplements.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I think the general consensus on these types of threads is that you only need supplements to address specific deficiencies. If you don't have any specific deficiencies and are on an otherwise reasonably healthy diet, you probably don't need any supplements.

And that was always my opinion. But i just seem to pick up so many colds and viruses. Not that they make me particularly ill but cycling with a head cold isnt really that fun. Hoping there was a miracle supplement i could take that would help
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • My Mum gave me some Siberian Ginseng to take a year ago. I thought why not give it a try. Certainly gives your body a perk up when you are pushing yourself. Can give you weird dreams/sleep disturbances and you are not meant to take it everyday for a certain amount of time.

I tended to take it for say 2/3 weeks then have a week off.

Also get some fish oils in your body with some capsules. I also "juice" Beetroot, Celery, Carrot, Cucumber and ginger. Add a bit of pineapple juice for flavour. Quinoa in your porridge is a good way to get quality protein.

As others will add its a good balanced diet with a few extras that work for me.

Good luck
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Doesn't have to be your diet. What are things like your hand hygiene like? Do you spend a lot of time around other people who can pass on their germs to you?
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Doesn't have to be your diet. What are things like your hand hygiene like? Do you spend a lot of time around other people who can pass on their germs to you?

This.
  • Zinc
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473

This!

A multi-billion snake oil industry with very little science.

Having said that the vitamin and caffeine contents of a lemsip or similar will probably help - given that viruses survive better in cold wather and humans need sunshine. Its the time of year when most companies are busy and our sleep gets disrupted due to changing climate
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just eat the right foods. I get sniffles all the time. I eat well and am healthy. Colds are normal dont worry about them they are very contagious.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    As others have said, unless you have a known deficiency, just eat a healthy diet.

I've got an immune disorder and have had it (as well as been off the bike) for three years, in which time I've tried just about every supplement going. None of them has made any difference.

If you're going to get ill, you'll get ill no matter what supplements you take and you'll stay that way for as as long as your immune system decides.

The only lesson I've learned is that sh** happens and there's often nothing you can do about it.
  • If you don't have a perfect diet, there is no sense in taking supplements.

If you have a perfect diet, you don't need supplements.

Medical conditions aside, there is no need (or reliable scientific evidence) to take any supplements, that will give you anything better than a placebo effect.

I second the hand washing advice, and I'd add - don't train too much and get proper recovery.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Other things that affect health apart from diet are sleep, stress, hygiene, over training when tired or run down etc.