Replacement for my Anthem

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,

I've had my Anthem since 2007. I've absolutely loved it and still do. I bought it as a frameset (in the anodised blue - why have anodised frames vanished?) and it's equipped with SIDs, SLX groupset and Crossrides all of which works for me.
But it's time to retire her (* see below), so I need a new steed. I don't really keep up to date with what's on the market, but the obvious choice is another Anthem, especially as there always some deals - e.g.:

Anthem 2 @ £1424:
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s183p5824/GIANT-ANTHEM-27-5-2-2015

Anthem 1 @ £1684
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s183p5825/GIANT-ANTHEM-27-5-1-2015

The main difference appears to be the fork - Fox Float CTD vs Reba RL. Okay so you get XT over SLX too, but I'm not really too bothered by that. Is the Fox fork worth the ~£250 premium?

And my supplementary question - is there any other obvious choice I should consider? I'm pretty set on another Anthem, but don't want to overlook an obvious choice.

Whatever I buy will get the 1x10 treatment and a general upgrade to stem, post bars etc from my spare parts bin and my current Anthem, so I don't want to be paying extra money for any shiny bits on a stock bike

* You may be wondering why I'm retiring my current Anthem. In fact I'm handing it over to number 1 son. I hope he knows he's a lucky boy

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I've thought about the Anthem SX, but actually the 100mm front and rear of the standard Anthem is enough for me (in fact my current Anthem is one of the original ones with only 80mm rear travel, though I do have a 100mm fork on it). I'm kinda of the mindset 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and I've not ridden a bike that suits me better than what I have

Same applies to the Trance

I've never owned Fox forks (always RS). Not 'dissing' them, just know some of their OEM offerings haven't been their best.

Good as Pikes are - they're more than I need
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I've thought about the Anthem SX, but actually the 100mm front and rear of the standard Anthem is enough for me (in fact my current Anthem is one of the original ones with only 80mm rear travel, though I do have a 100mm fork on it). I'm kinda of the mindset 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and I've not ridden a bike that suits me better than what I have

Same applies to the Trance

I've never owned Fox forks (always RS). Not 'dissing' them, just know some of their OEM offerings haven't been their best.

Good as Pikes are - they're more than I need

Well, I have an Anthem X2 2013 - and boy, its fast and I love it !!

If I was going to replace it it would be another Anthem, probably 27,5 and probably SX.

Stick to what has been proven good - if you like it and you found one at the good price - go for it !!

Good luck & let us know.

Chris