Has anyone ever been banned or got 6 points for speeding?

y2keable
y2keable Posts: 349
edited March 2016 in The hub
I'm just curious by how much car insurance will go up if the policy holder gets either a ban for excessive speed vs. given 6 points plus large fine.
<hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">
<hr noshade size="1">
[:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • y2keable
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your insurer, your history, your age, and how much then depends on how much now. More for a ban, probably.

Budget on a shedload.

Or ask your insurer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • y2keable
    Your insurer, your history, your age, and how much then depends on how much now. More for a ban, probably.

Budget on a shedload.

Or ask your insurer.

Oh, that's not what I thought you meant by "depends". Though your willingness to admit you've been banned/had point was dependent on something.

Yes, I know there's allot of variables and allot of things it all depends on. Just interested in gathering data at the moment. For example if someone got away with a fixed penalty for being 30mph over the limit or if someone got 6 points and a large fine for simply being 15mph over the limit but they had previous speeding offences...

<hr noshade size="1">
  • y2keable

<hr noshade size="1">
  • I got 6 points and have to pay some money for the penalty which judge determined.. But, that was not for the speeding.. :D
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I ran someone over and only got 5 points - what do you have to do to win 6 points?

Lost 6 years no claims and my insurance went up about £200 for the first year but dropped about £150 second year
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you can share hypothetically how fast the accused was allegedly traveling, in what speed limit, whether he or she had any unspent points, is subject to the new drivers act, we can let you know how likely one or the other is.

The impact on your insurance will be around 10-20% per policy for 6pts and more for a ban.
    The fine will be means tested. normally around 2-5 days net pay.
    A letter of mitigation will help avoid a ban
    you wont get a ban by post, so if the mags are considering a ban the hearing will be reschedules if you enter a guilty plea.

there is a handy calculator here:
    http://www.pepipoo.com/Magistrates_guidelines.htm

of course you may want to check that the speed limit was valid, if for example it was in the 20-50mph range and the enforcement device correctly used.

Also the rehabilitation of offenders act trumps the doctrine of uberrima fides in insurance disclosure, for example when answering the question "have you ever been disqualified from driving".
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    y2keable wrote:
    I'm just curious by how much car insurance will go up if the policy holder gets either a ban for excessive speed vs. given 6 points plus large fine.

ime your existing insurer will hammer you so you'll need to shop around. Not the comparison sites or online pick up the phone and ring them. In many cases they'll be able to improve on the online quotes.

Failing that go for TPF&T and/or the most evil rock-bottom insurer you can find and hope you never have to claim. And check that your motor shows up on the MID http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
  • diy
    If you have a few vehicles to insure it can get pricey while you burn them down over the 4 years or so.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I got lucky when I was caught 33mph over the speed limit. I was doing 93mph in a 60mph limit. Because I was more than 50% over the limit I was sent to court.
    Fortunately the lad in front of the magistrate before me was a right plum. He started by refusing to remove his baseball cap then asked why he was doing 70mph in a 30 limit he just said "didn't hit anyone did I? Whats the problem?". After they finished burning his licence I hung my head in shame, apologized & said I would never do it again and they let me off with a clean licence and a speed awareness course. I couldn't believe my luck!
  • diy
    hmm. seems odd. must have been something dodgy with the evidence against you glaringly obvious to the mags. I say this because they are mandated to endorse in the circumstances
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I can tell you that whilst having 10 points on my license about 10 years ago it made getting insurance pretty bloody hard,i was paying £700+ for a VW T4 transporter TPF&T in my early 30's with full no claims and that was 10 years ago,I feel for you,the insurance companies are going to love you
    In case anyone wondered i did not get any points in my T4,it was due to motorbikes,not all for speeding either
  • Yamaha R1 more than 100mph. Instant 18 month ban and a big fine.

No points and no pass go.

Luckily I was close enough to my work to sit out five years.

Downside I had to do it all again.
  • diy
    Must have been quite a bit more than a 100 then ;)

starting to see why/how people took up cycling. I must admit I got in to MTB as I was getting bored with motorbikes and considered bicycles the last adrenalin sport where you could pretty much legally ride as fast as you liked and take as many risks as you liked without fear of a twatso or scamerati being hidden around the corner.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I got caught doing 107mph on the motorway by the police one very early Sunday morning. I already had 6 points on my licence at the time and was expecting a certain ban. 6 months later when I finally got to court I was given a further 6 points and a big fine. Which meant I was banned from driving through toting of points. At this point I pleaded a case of extraordinary circumstances. Basically I would of lost my job, I had two young kids at the time and with no job we would lose everything. Also me losing my job would have a detrimental effect on the company I work for and others may of lost theirs. After a long deliberation they decided not to revoke my licence. I had to drive around for 3 years with 12 points on my licence. Which is tricky when at the time I was driving 50k a year! I was ordered by the magistrate that if I got caught for any serious motoring offence over the following five years I would face a custodial sentence!

I put my wife through allot of suffering through that time, the wait for it to go to court is almost cruel.. Further more I had to get my father to drive me to court and the look on his face as I was stood in the dock will haunt me! I also got dragged in front of our company board as I was in a company car, took an official warning and was uninsured on the companies standard insurance policy. Basically I had to sign that if I had any fault accident I was personally responsible for the £2k excess. Oh and I couldn't get insured on my wife's 1.2 Clio

So in short, don't drive like a dick. I have learnt my lesson and luckily I came through ok...luckily I didn't cause an accident and kill someone, but I could of and with my driving history I would of been sent down.
  • Must have been quite a bit more than a 100 then ;)

starting to see why/how people took up cycling.

A small amount over 120 when I last clocked the speedo. But it was approaching the scene of a accident involving a bike that was going too fast too.

I was behind a repair bench at the time so no travelling involved for work. So just decided to wait the five years so I didn't have to declare it and get raped by insurers.

Also learnt the lesson, never again, there is a place and time for speed....track days.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I once drove past a parked-up motorway police car at the sort of speed that gets you sent to prison. I got away with it. I grew up immediately - speeding is for mugs.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    y2keable wrote:
    A friend of mine...

FTFY
    Advocate of disc brakes.