Zwift structured training

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited February 2016 in Training, fitness and health
Looks like Zwift is going head to head with Trainer Road in offering a structured training package.
It's not out yet but some screenshots here http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/zwift-to-add-structured-training-monthly-fee-45422/

It's also going to start charging £8 per month which is pretty similar to Trainer Road.

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I just hope they don't mess it up. I have a Kickr and currently ride intervals running via software on my iPad. To make it more interesting I like to see myself rushing around Zwift. There is no way I'd pay for Zwift if their intervals module isn't at least as good as the one I currently use. I've tried lots of software on the iPad and most of them are junk, I hope they've reviewed what is out there and learn from others. If they get it right. Think they'll get some good subscription numbers, if they don't I doubt many will pay £8 to ride around one or two courses.
  • I have never been intelligent enough to get it working.

I have Ant+ and bluetooth and a laptop and the app, and pairing with my sensor, and nothing. :roll:

So I don't care if they get it up and running or not :)
  • I have never been intelligent enough to get it working.

I have Ant+ and bluetooth and a laptop and the app, and pairing with my sensor, and nothing. :roll:

So I don't care if they get it up and running or not :)

I couldn't get it to run either but it turned out my graphics card wasn't good enough. Not a problem with a new one.
  • I'm getting a new PC to run it which I hope is going to be good enough and I hope I like Zwift!
  • Just signed up to Zwift.

Are there any BR based group rides/races on there just to make it a bit more interesting? There is a Facebook page where there seems to be loads of organised rides/races but all seem to be States based. Anything to make the monotony of indoor training more interesting!!
  • There is a facebook group called UK Zwifters

Got my new PC at the weekend and on my smart trainer Zwift is fantastic, for the first time when riding indoors I'm riding in the same way I do when riding outside and putting the effort in :D

Going to try to make a point of doing a couple of rides a week on it, as well as my usual Sunday morning outside of course.
  • The structured training feature is now live and will remain free to use until next weekend when it'll then be £8 per month for the full product
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'll give it a go and see, but I do like cyclops VR.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Can't get on at all since they released the update. Servers seem to be down.

Not a great way to convince me to sign up for the paid service.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Can't get on at all since they released the update. Servers seem to be down.

Not a great way to convince me to sign up for the paid service.

I got on today for about 10 minutes, and I was the only one on the island. It was very lonely and I still didn't get the KOM!

Screen was updating very slowly so I tried to restart and that was it. Couldn't get back on.
  • They've had major server issues today. Apparently unrelated to load so I guess something went wrong with one of their updates.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Just signed up to Zwift.

Are there any BR based group rides/races on there just to make it a bit more interesting? There is a Facebook page where there seems to be loads of organised rides/races but all seem to be States based. Anything to make the monotony of indoor training more interesting!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1549043438702837/?fref=ts -- UK Zwifters

Many of the "States-based" rides are at times that make them OK for UK people too. I often take part in the WGR (World Group Rides), RGR (Richmond Group Rides) and things like the ZTR-EB (Zwift Training Race Early Birds). Weekend ones often start mid-afternoon UK time, and there are plenty of organised rides going off around 6:30pm during the week.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DC Rainmaker has done a write up of workout mode http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/zwifts-workout-mode.html
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    My laptop is absolute dross and I have no problem running Zwift, it's looking likely that I'll be signing up over the winter, it'll be much better for my riding than joining the gym like normal, and cheaper too. Result.

Did the FTP test yesterday and good news, I have plenty of scope for improvement! :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • If you have a Strava Premium membership then you get two months free Zwift membership every year.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    looks like this is worth a try over the winter - once I finally get rid of the chest infection I've had for the last 2wks :x
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • As far as turbo training goes, I'm really enjoying the Zwift 12week FTP program.
    I find Zwift generally very motivational, but due to the current lack of variety of courses I think without the structured training it would get old pretty quick.
    It's still a bit beta, but it has the potential of being awesome with a few extra features, courses and refinement.
  • kfinlay
    Does the new structured training programs need you to do an FTP test in the same way as TrainerRoad? I think this is best as it helps you setup your training zones/levels better so, in turn, should make training more effective.
    genuine question, as I'm currently trying too figure out which to sign up for :)
    Kev

• Does the new structured training programs need you to do an FTP test in the same way as TrainerRoad? I think this is best as it helps you setup your training zones/levels better so, in turn, should make training more effective.
    genuine question, as I'm currently trying too figure out which to sign up for :)

It doesn't make you, but there are ftp tests that you can do.

Here's PDF of some of the activities available.
    http://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/10/29/zwift-workouts-version-1-1/zwift-workouts-version-1-1.pdf
  • kfinlay
    Thanks Jezz, very helpful. I'll have a better looks at the PDF and TrainerRoad and see how I go. Just doing some base level riding for this week or so as I've had a chest infection and had to stop riding altogether.
    Kev

• Today Zwift released a custom workout creator so you can build your own workouts set against your FTP - just as you would do with Trainer Road.

One feature I do like is that you can have defined FTP based intervals then throw in a 'free ride' interval where you just ride around the course as normal.
  • Ohhh that sounds good having just ordered a turbo I'm going to download Zwift and give it a whirl
  • Ohhh that sounds good having just ordered a turbo I'm going to download Zwift and give it a whirl

A 'smart' one I hope i.e. one which controls the resistance for you.

A 'smart' one I hope i.e. one which controls the resistance for you.

ahhhh therein lies the rub. Within my budgetI ended up deciding on a non controllable one. the Elite Turbo Muin Smart B+ as there seems to be some sort of consensus that providing you have the appropriate sensors the "Zwift experience" is still very enjoyable. well when you're not gasping for breath that is

Not sure but in the case of a structured workout isn't app controlled resistance even less of an issue ?
  • That's like £350? You can get a Tacx Bushido Smart (what I have) for that. A Tacx Vortex is even less. Sure it's wheel on and not silent but they are remote controlled.

For me the big thing about Zwift is that it's as engaging as riding outdoors, so that includes having to shift gears, anticipating what gears are going to be needed etc. For the workouts it's even more important because the 'ERG' mode holds you in a specific power band so all you have to think about is your cadence the trainer takes care of making sure your power is spot on.

So having Zwift control the trainers resistance is the very essence of what it's all about, without it I probably wouldn't bother with it tbh.
  • That's like £350? You can get a Tacx Bushido Smart (what I have) for that. A Tacx Vortex is even less. Sure it's wheel on and not silent but they are remote controlled.

For me the big thing about Zwift is that it's as engaging as riding outdoors, so that includes having to shift gears, anticipating what gears are going to be needed etc. For the workouts it's even more important because the 'ERG' mode holds you in a specific power band so all you have to think about is your cadence the trainer takes care of making sure your power is spot on.

So having Zwift control the trainers resistance is the very essence of what it's all about, without it I probably wouldn't bother with it tbh.

Well to be honest I've decided I'm happy to trade off a little of what you call the "very essence of what it's all about" for what I perceive as the better "feel" (and solidarity) of the direct drive. I'm happy to make the adjustment myself, sure it's not exactly intuitive or the way you'd ride on the road, but to me at least it's a price worth paying.

It's being delivered tomorrow so I'll give it a whirl and report back :)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Does anyone know of an updated list of the Zwift workouts available somewhere to browse?
    The PDF linked earlier is no longer available.
    Or is there a way to see these on the Zwift website or app? I'm new to Zwift and trying to plan my workouts from, er, work!!!
    Cheers
  • shazzz wrote:
    Does anyone know of an updated list of the Zwift workouts available somewhere to browse?
    The PDF linked earlier is no longer available.
    Or is there a way to see these on the Zwift website or app? I'm new to Zwift and trying to plan my workouts from, er, work!!!
    Cheers

Load up the Zwift app and get into "just watch" mode, then press E on the keyboard to bring up the workout menu.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Thanks. By the "Zwift app" do you mean the software on my PC rather than the app on my phone?

Is there a way to see the available workouts when away from the PC that has the software installed - eg via the website or mobile phone app?

Cheers
  • shazzz wrote:
    Thanks. By the "Zwift app" do you mean the software on my PC rather than the app on my phone?

Is there a way to see the available workouts when away from the PC that has the software installed - eg via the website or mobile phone app?

Cheers

On the PC and no not that I'm aware of.