Greece - cycle tour

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited March 2016 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to Greece this week for a cycle tour. No plans. No route. One-way with Easyjet £58 + £35 for the bike (32kg).
Any recommendations? I might head up to Albania. Been before and done the islands, Olympus & Athens, but this time I would like to head out-back with a bike. And lots of gyros kebabs.

Comments

• borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Done Greece a few times. Northern Greece lovely scenery but a bit chilly in April and great food. Peloponnese great scenery warmer than the north. Wind can be an issue. Overall, fab cycling, friendly locals fairly cheap. Athens was a bit scary though. Where are you flying to?
  • remedy_7
    Hello Boris,
    Sorry, I didn't know about your reply.

I flew to Athens. Rode east to the coast then did a big loop round to the west coast. Up the west coast and into Albania. Back down to Greece then the ferry to Brindisi (bike goes for free) and cycled up to Bari for the flight home.
    The Greek drivers were fantastic. Very respectful, even the truck drivers. I didn't find it cheap but I love the gyros (euro 2) so lived off them and I had a cooker. Camped every night except in Albania and Bari.
    Petrol stations had water taps and I used a UV sterilizer. Locals were quiet, not unfriendly but a bit reserved. Except those that had worked abroad, they always came over for a chat. Dogs always went for me but never bit. If I stopped they would cower away and wag their tails.
    Endless hills. All day long. No headwinds. Beaches were empty, all mine. And the sea was still warm. Weather was still hot, t-shirt and shorts the whole time.
    Couldn't find a decent map anywhere. Used the Michelin whole country one, which is too big.
    The Italian drivers gave me room but passed at 100km/hr on small lanes whilst on the phone. If there was no room then they would still pass. Very dangerous.
    My 3Three sim card was not part of Europe so more expensive. My 3Three data sim didn't work. I've now learnt to use Maps.me which will help next time.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Great glad you had a good time. I'm off to Sardinia next week
  • remedy_7
    Italian drivers!! But the pizzas....
  • Remedy 7 wrote:
    Hello Boris,
    Sorry, I didn't know about your reply.

I flew to Athens. Rode east to the coast then did a big loop round to the west coast. Up the west coast and into Albania. Back down to Greece then the ferry to Brindisi (bike goes for free) and cycled up to Bari for the flight home.
    The Greek drivers were fantastic. Very respectful, even the truck drivers. I didn't find it cheap but I love the gyros (euro 2) so lived off them and I had a cooker. Camped every night except in Albania and Bari.
    Petrol stations had water taps and I used a UV sterilizer. Locals were quiet, not unfriendly but a bit reserved. Except those that had worked abroad, they always came over for a chat. Dogs always went for me but never bit. If I stopped they would cower away and wag their tails.
    Endless hills. All day long. No headwinds. Beaches were empty, all mine. And the sea was still warm. Weather was still hot, t-shirt and shorts the whole time.
    Couldn't find a decent map anywhere. Used the Michelin whole country one, which is too big.
    The Italian drivers gave me room but passed at 100km/hr on small lanes whilst on the phone. If there was no room then they would still pass. Very dangerous.
    My 3Three sim card was not part of Europe so more expensive. My 3Three data sim didn't work. I've now learnt to use Maps.me which will help next time.

Sounds great, glad you enjoyed cycling in Greece
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I've spent a lot of time in Italy and the only serious problem I've had is, on a handful of occasions over the years, drivers coming the other way have overtaken without seeming to register the fact that I was on the road. The reality is that drivers are pretty much the same the world over - most will give you plenty of space, and treat you with consideration, but there's always the occasional idiot.

Road accident rates for Italy are about the same as in Canada, a bit worse than in France, and a lot better than in Belgium, Greece or New Zealand. Or for that matter Albania.

Most accidents involving cyclists happen in towns and cities - cycle touring is relatively safe. If you plan your route properly then really the greatest risk you face is starting to think you have the road to yourself and taking bends wider than you should.
    Remedy 7 wrote:
    Italian drivers!! But the pizzas....

You can't beat a bit of stereotyping eh?
  • remedy_7
    Did you really go to all that trouble over a pizza comment?
    I respect your annoyance.