uberbike organic brake pads

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Uberbike brake pads are these the same as superstar as I hear everywhere that they buy from the same factory?

The reason why I ask is they are labelled as organic on superstar but as semi metallic on uberbike.

organic is like the resin pads isn't it?

I thought these were the same as I've finally worn down the front sintered pads that came with my xt brakes a few weeks ago so I popped in some uberbike semi metallic pads as at the time superstar was out of organic pads so ordered those think they where the same.

Anyway they are great much better than sintered but there's still that noise when they get wet which I thought organic pads didn't do and is starting to get on my nerves after a while.

Also do any of you lot use different combos on your bikes, on the rear I'm still using the stock metal pads that came with the xt brakes but got what I thought was organic in the front.

Should I go back and try the kelvar pads but could never get on with them due to the glazing too easily seems a lot of you like these.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They buy from the same factory as SS yes, but I would expect semi metallic to be just that (resin matrix with metal fibres) not organic (resin matrix with organic fibres) the factory outputs different pads sold in different ways, for example SS sell Kevlar and uber bike don't (or didn't) uber bike sell aluminium backed lightweight pads and SS don't.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    They buy from the same factory as SS yes, but I would expect semi metallic to be just that (resin matrix with metal fibres) not organic (resin matrix with organic fibres) the factory outputs different pads sold in different ways, for example SS sell Kevlar and uber bike don't (or didn't) uber bike sell aluminium backed lightweight pads and SS don't.....

So I bought the wrong ones my fault for rushing and thinking the uberbike pads were the same but there clearly not.

so superstar are the only ones out of them both that sell organic pads, I will try those next time still got 3 packs of these semi metallic to go through.

I'll see how well they hold up to winter riding, performance is definitely better than full metal sintered

least they are good value to stick a couple of packs in the spares box.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Semi metallic will not wear as fast as full organic, but will give the better bite of resin based, they will be similar to Kevlar which is also resin matrix with a 'tougher than organic' fibre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Semi metallic will not wear as fast as full organic, but will give the better bite of resin based, they will be similar to Kevlar which is also resin matrix with a 'tougher than organic' fibre.

Saying that I killed 2 sets of the Kevlar pads in about 3 weeks of minimal mileage.
  • For what it's worth I'm very pleased with my superstar organic pads, they feel good and are cheap, so I don't care that they may wear faster.
    I'm not sure what pads my bike came with, but was never really satisfied with them.
    Looking at the old pads (if memory serves) they were metallic or semi metallic.

They take a tiny warm up before they work well, but only a couple of hard stops as relatively slow speed, takes about 30 seconds, then they bite like they've grown spikes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you bought the wrong pads either you didn't read correctly or they sent you the wrong ones.

uberbike sell semi-metalic, sintered, kevlar and race matrix.
    superstar sell organic, sintered and kevlar
  • I wouldn't buy kevlar pads again. The first pair lasted one day of DH racing. The second set (ordered by mistake) lasted half a day in Val d'Isare
  • swod1
    if you bought the wrong pads either you didn't read correctly or they sent you the wrong ones.

uberbike sell semi-metalic, sintered, kevlar and race matrix.
    superstar sell organic, sintered and kevlar

I thought they were the same from the website pics, anyway the pads are an improvement over the stock sintered pads so I can't really moan or wasted my money.
    I wouldn't buy kevlar pads again. The first pair lasted one day of DH racing. The second set (ordered by mistake) lasted half a day in Val d'Isare

I just don't like them as they glazed from just general riding about. So what do you use on your bikes organic?
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    Been using Uberbike RaceMAtrix since April, really really good and would recommend them to anyone!! I've got them front and back, rarely get any squeaking (usually only then first braking when they are cold and soaked), they've stopped be going down big long descents in Wales, in the wet and mud. after 1500miles they still stop as well as when I first fitted them!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I wouldn't buy kevlar pads again. The first pair lasted one day of DH racing. The second set (ordered by mistake) lasted half a day in Val d'Isare

stop draging your brakes then :P
  • swod1
    Superstar I've seen are having 25% off braking stuff in October so think I'll get some organic pads to try out.