Track League Training

aaronspeight
aaronspeight Posts: 31
edited December 2015 in Track
Hi,

I've started competing in my first track league and have been searching for good track league training schedules and training sessions but haven't found anything, does anyone have a good schedule and training sessions? or can point me in the right direction

Thanks
A

Comments

• It depends where you are starting off, if you already have a good base then you want to focus on short hard intervals with short recovery. Also do some high cadence efforts as well, you need to be comfortable sitting at a high cadence and then going higher for an hard effort. That is probably the biggest immediate barrier for decent road racers when they start on the track.

You might have better luck finding training sessions for crit racing, there is alot of crossover in terms of training sessions for that and doing the endurance track events like points and scratch races.
  • Hi I take it you are riding at Derby on a tuesday evening

I am riding there as well

Which group are you riding in?

If you find me I may well be able to help you out (rider number 68 if we have the same numbers each week)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Most people use winter track leagues as training in themselves. I doubt if you'll find a specific training program for them. Just ride them and get fitter in the process. If Derby runs any SQT sessions, getting to those would be useful.
  • Warm up, then using a low resistance gear on either the turbo or rollers 3 mins @ 120-125RPM with 1 minute recoveries 4-5 sets with .3 mins easy between sets. Cool down, Do this for 2 weeks, then repeat but increase resistance slightly, 3 mins @ 125-130RPM with 1 minute recoveries. 3 mins easy between sets. 4-5 sets

Warm up again on the turbo / rollers. Then using something akin to the resistance and gearing you use in TL; 5s on hard 10s off x 5 reps with 1 minute recoveries x 5 sets. 3 minutes easy, then 10s on hard 20s off x 5 with 2 minutes easy between, 5 sets or until you cannot repeat. Tip. Use the kitchen clock as timekeeper. Repeat for 4 weeks.

This will help increase your ability to respond to changes in pace and improve your cadence.If you think these two sessions sound easy, give it a try. I think you will be unpleasantly surprised just how hard these are and how much they take out of you. The benefit comes when ride TL just in time for Panto season.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Derby Sundays SQTs have been race replication training of late, great training and for gaining experience if you are new to racing.