interesting (Dutch) accreditation

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,385
edited September 2015 in Track
Hi Guys

so a group of us went to the Amsterdam Velodrome last night to do our track accreditation. We spent a lot of last winter riding on the track as our club ran 7 or 8 sessions where we had our own coach. Unfortunately they re not doing that this year so the keenest of us thought we would go and get certified and do it for real as it were

No pretty much from the start we felt something was wrong. we all have track bikes which we use on the road. These were banned outright no matter how they had been cleaned or prepped for the track. I note that the Lee Valley track have a section on the website on prepping your "urban fixie" for track cycling which involves taking the break off, cleaning the tyres and making sure the gearing is big enough. Does that sound right? If you ever ride your bike on the road it can never be used on a velodrome? I should add that all of them had been used many times on that track and were okayed by another coach

The second guy, having seen this, bullshitted her and said he'd never used it outside but then his normal, 23c road tyres were rejected "becasue they havent tested them" as in they couldnt be sure that the model of tyre was safe for use (I forget what it was but it was something like a schwalbe 1 or conti GP4000s)

The whole group of 12 then proceeded to fail the 2 hr accreditation. Now my dutch is not great but the feedback as to why was minimal to non-existent. I was told I wasnt looking enough (which I was) so by then end I was like I was on my driving test and twisting my head so much I though it was going to fall off - still to no avail.

Now none of us are arrogant enough to believe that we have a god given right to ride on a track but we can't help get the feeling that had Bradley Wiggins and Laura Trott turned up they would nt have passed. 4 people went and 4 people came away somewhat bemused or disillusioned. We did buck her system by not doing the introduction with her (we had been told that that was not necessary by another person) but we did nothing that we hadnt done several times before with the other coach so it would have been a waste of our, and her (and given my lack of dutch, especially my), time. We can't help feeling slightly that she just wants another 23 Eur from us to make the point...

Can you more experienced people give us an idea if we re being a bit over sensitive? How hard is it to pass these things (with the obvious caveats that everywhere is different)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Might be best to repost in the Track forum. Hope you folks get the accrediation sorted.

All the best, RonB
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    edited September 2015
    Hi Guys

so a group of us went to the Amsterdam Velodrome last night to do our track accreditation. We spent a lot of last winter riding on the track as our club ran 7 or 8 sessions where we had our own coach. Unfortunately they re not doing that this year so the keenest of us thought we would go and get certified and do it for real as it were

No pretty much from the start we felt something was wrong. we all have track bikes which we use on the road. These were banned outright no matter how they had been cleaned or prepped for the track. I note that the Lee Valley track have a section on the website on prepping your "urban fixie" for track cycling which involves taking the break off, cleaning the tyres and making sure the gearing is big enough. Does that sound right? If you ever ride your bike on the road it can never be used on a velodrome? I should add that all of them had been used many times on that track and were okayed by another coach

The second guy, having seen this, bullshitted her and said he'd never used it outside but then his normal, 23c road tyres were rejected "becasue they havent tested them" as in they couldnt be sure that the model of tyre was safe for use (I forget what it was but it was something like a schwalbe 1 or conti GP4000s)

The whole group of 12 then proceeded to fail the 2 hr accreditation. Now my dutch is not great but the feedback as to why was minimal to non-existent. I was told I wasnt looking enough (which I was) so by then end I was like I was on my driving test and twisting my head so much I though it was going to fall off - still to no avail.

Now none of us are arrogant enough to believe that we have a god given right to ride on a track but we can't help get the feeling that had Bradley Wiggins and Laura Trott turned up they would nt have passed. 4 people went and 4 people came away somewhat bemused or disillusioned. We did buck her system by not doing the introduction with her (we had been told that that was not necessary by another person) but we did nothing that we hadnt done several times before with the other coach so it would have been a waste of our, and her (and given my lack of dutch, especially my), time. We can't help feeling slightly that she just wants another 23 Eur from us to make the point...

Can you more experienced people give us an idea if we re being a bit over sensitive? How hard is it to pass these things (with the obvious caveats that everywhere is different)

Could not help but laugh a lot at this.

I wasnt there, but I know exactly who did the course. Its nothing to do with getting an €23 out of you, its a personal power thing. I know she has tried to 'teach' track veterans, which obviously didnt go down well. Said person seems to clash with many at the track.

But...I will add that after training there for the last 4 years, last year saw a marked decline in the quality of riding. So many close calls due to people not looking enough. When the Rabo kids turn up, it can be very dangerous for the new people, and quite scary for them (not saying this applies to you, just in general)

Anyway, its raining tomorrow so I will be going for the free training for the first time this year. btw, (unless it has changed), you dont need the accreditation to join the free training (and I have hardly ever seen your instructor there), you need the accreditation for the Wednesday and Sunday structured training. You just need to have passed the intro session that she runs.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ddraver
    Oh sugar - thought I was in Track! Have requested the move

Interesting to hear that Mark... thanks for that. At the moment we re all a little bit narked to pay her more money. Espcially as by the time we ve got there from DH, we re looking at near 50Eus for 2 hrs riding, which is not what I'd call good value...
    - @ddraver
  • AndyEd
    AndyEd Posts: 171
    Post moved to track.

Cheers,
    Andy
    BikeRadar Community
  • It's probably a bit of both - some points she seems to have been strict upon, others you might be a bit over sensitive. Regards tyres some are frowned upon / banned - generally speaking if they are dual compound or coloured then its a no go (although in saying that some high end track tubs are not black - Dugast do a pink one and Conti a gold one its more a general rule about colour for cheaper tyres). I would have thought a GP4000s II would be ok though.
  • It's probably a bit of both - some points she seems to have been strict upon, others you might be a bit over sensitive. Regards tyres some are frowned upon / banned - generally speaking if they are dual compound or coloured then its a no go (although in saying that some high end track tubs are not black - Dugast do a pink one and Conti a gold one its more a general rule about colour for cheaper tyres). I would have thought a GP4000s II would be ok though.

I remember that when I bought my track bike from some girl on the track team. The spare wheels had GP4000's on them. Surprised you couldnt use them. Do agree that a bike should never have been on the road though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ddraver
    you ve certainly sparked a debate amongst us Mark! :p

Why not on the road by the way? I can't see how after a proper clean and everything that a frame (the frame !!) would be unsafe on a track.

Tyres yes, ok

Wheels - possibly...
    - @ddraver
  • you ve certainly sparked a debate amongst us Mark! :p

Why not on the road by the way? I can't see how after a proper clean and everything that a frame (the frame !!) would be unsafe on a track.

Tyres yes, ok

Wheels - possibly...

haha, isn't that what forums are for!

I definitely wasn't clear. Yes, I guess I only mean the tyres/wheels. Giving the bike a clean and using a spare set of wheels should be just fine in my mind.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ddraver
    Its certainly nice to know that we arent the only people to have been rubbed the wrong way by her...

This is the list of "approved tyres" by the way (http://www.aanmeldenvelodrome.nl/banden/ - in Dutch)

Gommitalia Targa K
    Veloflex corsa.
    Vittoria corsa evo CS
    De Deda RS corsa (just)
    - @ddraver