New Wheels...seem very harsh....

niallmo
niallmo Posts: 103
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
Do they "ride in"? Will an older set have settled in and sorted themselves out?

Got the Shimano RS21 set from Ribble a couple of weeks ago. Put them on my Carrera Vanquish with a set of Rubino Pro tyres. Seemed to crash around a bit more than the standard wheels and tyres.

Have just snapped up a used Boardman Road Team Carbon with Mavic cxp22 rims and Opeen Corsa Evo tyres. Nice smooth ride, felt fast and supple. Everyone I mentioned it to said would be better to swap the Shimanos.

Swapped the wheels, tyres stayed on the same bikes. On the Carbon it's now banging about and feels harsh on anything but smooth Tarmac. The Carrera now feels really good again, smooth and much less harsh.

At the mo the Mavics are going back on the Carbon with the Rubinos.

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Did you make sure that you kept the pressures the same? Evo Corsas are among the best riding clinchers out there.
  • niallmo
    Did you make sure that you kept the pressures the same? Evo Corsas are among the best riding clinchers out there.

Pretty much. I usually ride 100/105 F/R. The Corsas may have been slightly over last night but they were at the same pressure give or take 2/3 PSI on the Mavics.

I've heard good things about the Corsas so kept them on the Carbon. I likes how they felt in the Mavics compared to the Shimanos. They are Tubular Cinchers, not entirely sure how I would fix a puncture on them? I know Vittoria have Pitstop but that's not a long term fix.
  • DKay
    It's possible that you rode the bike when ambient temperatures were lower than they were when you last rode either bike? This could have affected how supple the tyres were and when it's colder, you tend to perceive NVH more (I know I do).

Open Corsas aren't tubulars, they're clinchers which use normal inner tubes and punctures are repaired exactly the same as with any other clincher. The 'Open' designation means that they're constructed the same as their tubulars, but are left 'open'. This should have been pretty obvious when you changed over the tyres. :?
  • niallmo
    It's possible that you rode the bike when ambient temperatures were lower than they were when you last rode either bike? This could have affected how supple the tyres were and when it's colder, you tend to perceive NVH more (I know I do).

Open Corsas aren't tubulars, they're clinchers which use normal inner tubes and punctures are repaired exactly the same as with any other clincher. The 'Open' designation means that they're constructed the same as their tubulars, but are left 'open'. This should have been pretty obvious when you changed over the tyres. :?

Could well be ambient. Need a more accurate pressure gauge I think.

It seemed that the inners were part of the actual tyre. I couldn't see or feel a seam or work out how it was attached other than immaculate gluing of the inner into the tyre. I did have a look online but couldn't find anything.

The Carrera was great tonight on the Mavics with Rubino Pro. I'll have a fiddle with the pressures on the Shimanos tomorrow night if I get a chance.
  • DKay
    The inner tube can sometimes become stuck to the inside of the tyre, but you should be able to peel them apart. Open Corsas are just a clincher tyre (there is no such thing as 'Tubular Clinchers'). To avoid them becoming stuck together in the future, dust the inner tube with talc first.
  • niallmo
    The inner tube can sometimes become stuck to the inside of the tyre, but you should be able to peel them apart. Open Corsas are just a clincher tyre (there is no such thing as 'Tubular Clinchers'). To avoid them becoming stuck together in the future, dust the inner tube with talc first.

Ah, gotcha. They came with the bike. Me being stupid then lol.
  • What size? Anything up to 25 won't give you the most cushioned ride.
  • niallmo
    Both have 23s on them I'm surprised at the difference in feel between the two sets. I know that is going to affect the ride but it's having had both bikes exhibit the same harshness with the Shimanos on either set of tyre and on either bike. The Mavics feel much smoother on either bike and either set of tyres. Don't see how it could be anything than the wheels. Happy to keep them if they smooth out a bit but it's a very noticeable difference. Could it be spoke tightness?
  • Some wheels are just stiffer than others. I would get some 25mm tyres anyway (or bigger if clearances allow) - I personally don't favour the 23mm size as I prefer wider than that on a road bike and narrower than that on my TT bike.
  • niallmo
    Switched back to the Mavics with the Rubino Pros. Much better. I think the Open Corsas shade it over the Rubino so it'll all be going back to how it was!