Chain coming off big ring

andybelltrans
andybelltrans Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Dear all, I've been running an 11-32 cassette - largely because I like the 28 (I'm 95 kg, we do a fair bit of hill work on weekends, and Margaret River is coming up :D ), but don't like losing the 16 on a standard 11-28, but my Ultegra electronic kept throwing the chain off on the inside if I cross-chained (accidentally) into the 11-32. Have now bought a SRAM 11-28 custom cassette, but now it's throwing it off the 28 - which is driving me nuts. My derailleur isn't bent, and the H and L screws are properly adjusted - as is the front derailleur height etc. I really want to keep the cassette, because it's an 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28, which is a nice run - but if I can't stop it jumping off the 28, I might as well go back to either 11-25 or 11-32. I know 53-28 is a bit extreme, and is cross-chaining, but it would be good if my set up could handle it. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Andy, Albany, WA

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Have you checked rear-der/mech alignment using an alignment tool? Even on new frames this can be 'off'. Is the chain failing to engage / riding the teeth at bottom of the sprocket? If so, it's down to rear-der/mech alignment / set-up.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks Monty - I haven't tried that, but will ask my LBS if he can do that. The jockey wheels look okay to me, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with adjusting Ultegra electronic - although I guess the principles are identical to mechanical, right?