Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Knee pads advice required.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,843
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Finally decided that my knees need some protection having come a cropper a couple of times recently. Looking for ideally lightweight non Velcro, non sweaty and must stay in place, not to bothered what they look like just need to be functional. Looked on here and seen the slagging that various makes get, so looking for actual proper advice if possible. I could always stick to the flat and not bother with pushing myself to improve but that's not going to happen any time soon.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• POAHPOAH Posts: 3,369
    Dianese trail skins. they have velcro but I don't see that as an issue as they stay up and inplace.
  • Antm81Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'm using Nukeproof critical, lots of protection. They've got a hard shell and Velcro but that hasn't been an issue, they do get a bit sweaty but I only notice it after I take them off. More importantly they stay put and I rarely notice them once I'm moving. My only gripe is they take a little effort to get on and off.
  • loudogloudog Posts: 136
    I was forced to purchase the fox ones when last at CYB. They are lightweight, more to protect from hard grazes as opposed to breakages. But they would certainly lessen the blow. I like them.
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,843
    Thanks for the replies, ideally more to stop gouges and scrapes so hard shell not really needed, hopefully.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • paul.skibumpaul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I run a pair of older 661 knee pads - definitely sweaty but stay in place well and I can pedal in them.

A guy I know, sponsored EWS rider, swears by these - http://7protection.com/product/transition-knee/ - he says you can ride all day, dont get over cooked and provide sufficient protection for him in his balance between protection and speed/pedal ability.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp censored .
  • .blitz.blitz Posts: 6,588
    Have got a box of them they're all different it depends what you're looking for

Dainese Trail skins - light and comfortable with tenacious velcro top and bottom. The honeycomb knee cap is mildly ventilated but it is basically a flat oval with cut-outs so it bends as you pedal. It's cleverly designed and mostly unobtrusive but different to the hardshells. Good for warding off direct hits on non-pointy objects but there's not much between your knees and the trail.

661 Evo D30 - heavier than the Trail Skins but just as easy to ride in. The inserts are flexible and suspended in pockets so the knees are free to move. The D30 works very well but retains heat and moisture. Velcro straps at the top and grippers at the bottom

NP Critical - heavier again and bulky but the solid hardshell is held away from the knee so pretty easy to ride in. Quite a bit of padding on the insides of the knees which may or may not contact the top tube. Quality is only average. Great protection

Fox Launch Pro - virtually the same as NP Critical but higher quality

Scott Grenade - more of everything bigger tougher and very protective. Not exactly unobtrusive but pretty good for what they are
  • Hi I use the Fox Racing Launch Pro Knee and they are really good you almost forget you are wearing them, they also have very good review.
    Alex