Time for freehub replacement?

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
The back wheel on my bike has started to sound rough so I've stripped down the hub to regrease and noticed the freehub when you spin it has a bit of play and makes like a clunk noise when you move it to engage it.

Does this sound like it has had it and time for replacement?

The wheel is a couple of years old and has had some miles on it, it's a deore xt m756A hub.

Can you take these apart or is it not worth the hassle?

Also what size Allen key is needed I've read a 10mm but also read its 14mm? I don't have either size to try so need to buy one of these as well

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    As long as it freewheels ok. Engages as it should and doesn't allow the cassette to rock too much I'd be inclined to leave it as is.
  • swod1
    As long as it freewheels ok. Engages as it should and doesn't allow the cassette to rock too much I'd be inclined to leave it as is.

That's what I was thinking as with the cassette on you can feel a bit of play a couple of mm of movement is that ok?

Not come across this before when checking the wheel so made me think the freehub was worn.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A small bit is fine. Don't forget big cogs exaggerate this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is always a bit of movement in the cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    Cheers for replies, I rebuilt the wheel with plenty of grease and it is better but still sounding a bit rough will let the grease settle in wheel.

I checked the cups and cones and couldn't see any scoring to either but did see the on set of rust so water had got in some how when I was taking it all apart and cleaned that off.

Do you guys use car grease in bearings as not sure what the bike shop had used when it was checked over when I bought the wheel as took it back in as the disc side cone kept coming loose.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use standard WB grease in a big tub from Halfords.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools