8 speed upgrade

zyggy
zyggy Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks,
new here, so please forgive me if this has been asked before (already done a search and found similar enquiries but nothing that quite matches exactly.)
My wife's marin hawk hill (1998) recently had it's wheels stolen, and as a cheaper option to buying new wheels, tyres etc for a big price, I'm looking at getting a second hand marin and using the wheels etc from that (plus I get a load of spares into the bargain)(and it's actually cheaper than all-new components - doing this on a budget as she only rides the bike occasionally)
Her original rear wheel was an 8-speed, but all the bikes I'm coming across are 7-speed, so can I use a 7-speed wheel and just buy a new 8-speed cassette to swap for the 7-speed? (i.e. will a 7-speed wheel take an 8-speed cassette?) Her frame is clearly set for 8-speed - but what about the replacement wheel? Or would I be better off just replacing everything and down-grading her to a 7-speed? (and if so, won't the frame spacing be too wide? HELP!!!)

cheers in advance of a good answer!

Zyggy

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, 7 speed freehubs are too short for 8 speed cassettes. And 7 speed could be a freewheel instead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • zyggy
    zyggy Posts: 3
    "And 7 speed could be a freewheel instead."
    I'm not sure I know what that means, with relevance to my question?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some 7 speed wheels have freehubs, some are freewheel, but no, you can't use for 8 speed.

Info is on Parktools if you want more details.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing stopping you using a 7 speed rear wheel, the gear spacing is near enough identical, just you'll only have 7 gears.

A cassette fits on a freehub which contains the freewheel mechanism, a freewheel fits to the wheel using a large screw thread and contains the freewheel mechanism.

Frame spacing could be 130mm or 135mm on a 7 speed wheel, a 135 will fit into the Marin frame.

Or try looking round a bit better, I see plenty of 8 speed rear bikes around for little more than 7.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i'd just buy her a new or second hand bike and use that, will be easier