Thoughts on BMC potential purchase.

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Set my sights on getting a BMC as my first proper carbon road bike.
Using mainly for solo runs upto 50 - 60 mile rides and possibly sportives in the future as an ambition.I'm currently just under 15 stone and looking to get down to 13 1/2 stone!
Got the choice down to Slr02 TEAMMACHINE or the GFO2 Granfondo both in the 105 build.
Am I over reaching myself with the Slr02 as I get the feeling that it is more of a Sunday club run bike for the more hard core rider,or should I get the more relaxed GF02.

Thoughts please!

Thanks.

Comments

• mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Not had either but have had some bmc bikes and they are very nicely put together machines. Keep your eye on westbrookes web page as they were doing some great deals on the bmc.
    I was going to get a gf02 as a back up bike but after reading lots of reviews not putting it in the best light i went another route.
    Out of the two i would go slr02 but bikes are so personable the only real answer is to ride both.

Some good deals about though!
  • stoveman
    Thanks for the reply Jeff.
    Found reviews of the gf02 a bit thin on the ground to be honest.Ideally had a budget around £1600 but as with every hobby this seems like it will have to stretch a bit :)
  • I'm disappointed to hear the Teammachine is a 'Sunday club run bike'- I have a beady eye on those as my first good road bike and hope it'll be more of a racing rocket!

I do have a friend who has an older alloy GF and he loves it to bits, and uses it as his 'everything' road bike from training, club rides to racing. That's really where I fell in love with the shape of BMC bikes tbh- I've never ridden one but just love the way they look.
  • stoveman
    I'm disappointed to hear the Teammachine is a 'Sunday club run bike'- I have a beady eye on those as my first good road bike and hope it'll be more of a racing rocket!

I do have a friend who has an older alloy GF and he loves it to bits, and uses it as his 'everything' road bike from training, club rides to racing. That's really where I fell in love with the shape of BMC bikes tbh- I've never ridden one but just love the way they look.

As 'Sunday club run bike' I meant it appears to be more suited to more serious aspirations than mine as I have no intention of racing,and also am unable to join a club due to anti social work patterns !
    I guess I am the same as you in as much as I decided BMC is going to be my first serious road bike.

Agree with you on the looks,and I also love the fact they are a rare sight on the roads too.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I have an SLR01 (well, two actually but that's another story) and for a race bike I find it very comfortable and as long as you don't mind a reasonably aggressive riding position it is comfortable for long rides. I have also had the chance to ride a GF01 and it was also comfortable. It really comes down to whether you want an aggressive position or not, but once you know that you can't go wrong with either bike. Evans will allow you to order bikes in to try, so why not try them back to back. If you've not ridden a road bike before I'd be tempted to go for the GF as a safe bet.