2»

Comments

• ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Erm... It was normal... If you have to ask you wouldn't understand.. :roll:
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    What do you mean by "normal" and how far back are you going? 1950s? Victorian times? Just before the Vikings invaded?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I remember when this country used to be normal, and what a lovely place it used to be.. These days it's totally f'ed :-0
    People have been repeating this for decades. If not centuries.
    It won't be long until today is the good old days.

:D pukka! I can't wait for the day when it comes full circle and this country returns to the good old days.

what exactly was good about them?

I was raised in a spacious 3 bedroom house as one of three brothers, with a single wage, my Fathers. The wage for the same job now wouldn't even get you a mortgage for a one bedroom flat without a wealthy parent to give you a deposit.

On the negative side back in those days a cancer diagnosis was much more of a death sentence, a very probable one, but thankfully medicine has moved on. Swings and roundabouts huh.

Oh and the housing costs example I gave...those days aren't ever coming back.
  • cameron was right. he said nothing wrong, those who take offence just want to take offence.

these people are not asylum seekers. if they were they would seek asylum in the first safe haven country they came across instead of traveling across multiple countries to try to get into the uk. they are illegal economic migrants. they should be repatriated asap or moved back to their first safe country they came through for asylum there.

the pull factors here need to be cut big time, and the border sorted asap.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    How about we brick it up with ISIS inside, two birds with one stone :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    The issue is self inflicted...

If the status of political refugee and the benefits associated were standardised across the EU or specifically between France and Britain, nobody would bother to cross the Channel... so for once the problem is that of trying to be different from the rest of Europe, 'mfraid...
    left the forum March 2023
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614

If the status of political refugee and the benefits associated were standardised across the EU or specifically between France and Britain, nobody would bother to cross the Channel... so for once the problem is that of trying to be different from the rest of Europe, 'mfraid...

Are they really that different? Genuine question I have no idea.

You have to wonder if they are trying to get here because of any objective reason or just because that's what they have been 'sold'.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257

Are they really that different? Genuine question I have no idea.

You have to wonder if they are trying to get here because of any objective reason or just because that's what they have been 'sold'.

I think Britain has an easier way to get the Political refugee status, compared to other nations.
    The actual benefits package revolves around helping those at the very bottom, as opposed to helping those who contributed, like in other nations e.g. Germany.

If I lose my job tomorrow, I get nothing, unless I have nothing else to support myself, in germany I'd get 80% of my salary, regardless of whether I have savings...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    So the Tories want the whole of the EU to take responsibility ie help out, with the Calais migrant crisis? is this the same Government that told Italy, its your problem with the N African issue? and refused point blank to take any migrants.

Apparently, migrants that have got into the UK, are given a hotel room, food and cash, so no wonder they think the uk is a land of milk and honey.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    So the Tories want the whole of the EU to take responsibility ie help out, with the Calais migrant crisis? is this the same Government that told Italy, its your problem with the N African issue? and refused point blank to take any migrants.

Apparently, migrants that have got into the UK, are given a hotel room, food and cash, so no wonder they think the uk is a land of milk and honey.

They get jam as well as honey. And marmite, if they want it.

They also get sandwiches, pasta bake and breakfast apparently. And somewhere to stay.

Fair play, some of them got here from Darfur. That's some serious effort.

FWIW, I'd take the 3,000 currently languishing in France over the first 3000 comment makers on the Daily Mail website. Mind, 90% of them are posting from the country they've migrated to..........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    The French could solve the problem at their end very easily.
    All they have to do is issue them French passports.
    They are then legally entitled to leave France and come to Britain.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.