1 x 10; 40T expander dilemma...

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
OK - after several months of 36 tooth front ring/ 32 rear I now realise I am not the hard man climber I thought, and realise I need to go bigger on the cassette!
Bought a Superstar 40T expander, but a mate reckons the Zee derailleur I have, is not enough to take the 40?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-zee-m640-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod82431
Anyone on here had a similar experience - he reckons I'll need an XT or SLX long cage mech??
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m786-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod83162

Any advice appreciated...
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It should work - most Shimano MTB rear mechs can cope with 40T without needing a longer B-screw.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • prb007
    It should work - most Shimano MTB rear mechs can cope with 40T without needing a longer B-screw.

Thanks MD; but I'd rather hear it from someone who HAS made it work! Don't want to have bike in bits for longer than necessary, though at the moment I'd be better off with a canoe in the Afan valley, than the MTB!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Hardtail or FS? On a hardtail you'll just get away with it without mods. On an FS no chance.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Ben's right, although one solution would be to fit one of these to your Zee mech - http://int.oneupcomponents.com/collections/all-products/products/radr-cage - new inner and outer cage. They also do 40/42t cogs and from memory come with a 17t cog as well so you don't such a big jump. I got one a while back and can't fault it so far... They have a warehouse in the UK so you're not waiting for international shipping although it's all priced in $$.
  • prb007
    Hardtail or FS? On a hardtail you'll just get away with it without mods. On an FS no chance.

Orange Alpine 160 - as per sig.
    mmm for 55 bucks, I could pretty much get a XT long cage and put the Zee on another bike! :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you currently have a 11-32 10 speed cassette, why not just fit an 11-36?

An 8 tooth jump from your 11-32 to a 40T is too much anyway, you'll need an 11-34 at least.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    I run 40t Works Xpander, 36t Zee Mech, 32t chain ring on an Ariel. Works just fine with the B Tension wound out slightly more than usual.

As above though, just get a 11-36 cassette.