DT Swiss X1700 Spline 29 Wheels - Tubeless compatible?

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Just a quick one. I have some DT Swiss X1700 Spline 29" wheels. Are they compatible for being made tubeless using Stans tubeless kit?

Tried to have a quick look on the internet but not come across anything.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Hi all

Just a quick one. I have some DT Swiss X1700 Spline 29" wheels. Are they compatible for being made tubeless using Stans tubeless kit?

Tried to have a quick look on the internet but not come across anything.

Thanks

Just about any rim can be made tubeless, especially using a Stans kit. A couple of layers of yellow tape, a tubeless valve and some sealant and you'll be fine. You need to worry about the tyre compatibility then.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mikeyj28
    Hi all

Just about any rim can be made tubeless, especially using a Stans kit. A couple of layers of yellow tape, a tubeless valve and some sealant and you'll be fine. You need to worry about the tyre compatibility then.

Thanks for that.

Last question: How do the Liteskin Rocket Ron tyres hold up? Should I be looking to run with the Snakeskin tyres for tubeless conversion?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need for snakeskin just to run tubeless, but like running tubed, a rock slit in the sidewall will stop the ride!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mikeyj28
    No need for snakeskin just to run tubeless, but like running tubed, a rock slit in the sidewall will stop the ride!

Thank you - just thought that as the wall was thinner it may not be fully supportive enough to run without a tube.
    Other than obvious slits in the sidewall from eg rocks , i'd be ok to run these tubeless?

Thanks