Newport Velodrome

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
edited December 2017 in Track
Hello,

Can someone let me know where to find out when and what is going at Newport.

I have tried looking at their website and can't find any real information.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What are you looking for - track time, SQTs, drop-ins, track league..? If all else fails, the front desk is usually pretty helpful..
  • xavierdisley
    xavierdisley Posts: 159
    If you want training time you can normally use the easy rider session 2-4pm Monday for a few efforts, Tuesday drop in 12-2pm is more structured work and at the moment has sprinters & pursuiters doing group efforts, Thursday 12-2pm drop in is quieter than Tuesday, Friday vets session 4-6:30pm solid group enduro work.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    You need a newport leisure account, once logged in, you can look and book the sessions you want.
    Other wise ring them and ask for the velodrome reception, which you ll need to do to get the account set up :)
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Does anyone know what pedals are on the hire bikes at Newport please?
  • zoomer42
    zoomer42 Posts: 124
    lemon63 wrote:
    Does anyone know what pedals are on the hire bikes at Newport please?

Keo
  • imposter2.0
    Some are Keo, some are standard cages..
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    The standard cages clip into the Keo
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Thanks for the reply guys, RE: the Keos
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Evening all,

going up to Newport for the first time on Friday, for a 5 ( ! ) hour session, and wondered if anyone who had been before could share the benefit of their experience.

I've never ridden at a heated velodrome before (Only Calshot which was freezing) and Newport have advised to wear a long layer on top, and it's up to me for the lower half.
    My plan is to take a few items, so I have some choices, but my intention is to wear a thin base layer top, and a long sleeve, but thin summer material style jersey - good idea?

All of my tights are indeed winter tights, so imagine if I wanted to pass out through dehydration that is the way to go, otherwise shorts, with or without knee\leg warmers....?

I have not fallen at either of my previous velodrome sessions, but appreciate that there will be a lot of other people there, and it will be a far longer session than I am used to, so tiredness is bound to take a toll.

Also - I gather there are no catering facilities of any kind on site, so if you did a longer session, did you take some food with you etc?
    Planning to take some water with me, and also some High 5 tablet things to pop in, thinking I might need the extra boost!

One bit of good news is that I gather they use Look Keo pedals, which is what I ride anyway, so will be able to wear proper shoes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    No particular reason to wear long sleeves/legs there, IMO. You're right there's no catering though, apart from vending machines with the usual crisps, chocolate, fizzy drinks, coffee, etc. There is a water supply trackside, so no need to take your own water.

Definitely take food with you - there's an Aldi over the road if you run out of grub. 5 hour session - sounds like some kind of event?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Imposter wrote:
    No particular reason to wear long sleeves/legs there, IMO. You're right there's no catering though, apart from vending machines with the usual crisps, chocolate, fizzy drinks, coffee, etc. There is a water supply trackside, so no need to take your own water.

Definitely take food with you - there's an Aldi over the road if you run out of grub. 5 hour session - sounds like some kind of event?

The lady I spoke to on the phone said that 'they advised' to wear long sleeves.....
    I'll take a LS top and a SS, an can easily change.
    Aldi nearby is handy - as is the water supply.

Just a beginners\intermediate session I think, as as I understand it they split you into two groups, and you get a bit of respite while the other group does it's thing - hoping it will re-invigorate me to get training hard again, in a bit of a dip at the moment motivation wise :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18