Helmet Fit Advice

new2theroad
new2theroad Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in Road beginners
Hi I recently bought a Louis Garneau X-Lite Helmet online and was wondering about the fit. Once I received it I went to try it on when I do it sits very low that my ears are either tucked under the helmet or pushed over the sides. I did measured my head and got the size that showed to fit. The rest of the helmet seems to fit fine its just how low it sits. Well my question is should I return it or is there a way to rase it maybe with foam or something that would not mess with the safety of the helmet?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    head shapes vary, as do helmet shapes, so different models of the 'same' size can result in very different fit/comfort (even when they're the same brand)

looks like this helmet is a bad match for you, return it

i suggest go to a shop where you can try several and see which is best for you before buying
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    Hi

Doesn't look like a good fit to me, so if its not comfortable I'd be taking it back!!
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Helmets and shoes are the 2 things I'd rather try on / buy in a shop because they are all different shapes / sizes and so are we.

As above, I'd be returning that one. It will be even less comfortable with sunglasses.
  • Thank you everyone so much for the advice. I did return the helmet. Now I ma shopping around at some shops in my area. Does anyone have any advice on brands/models/exc. . Also what would be a good price to spend.
  • Thank you everyone so much for the advice. I did return the helmet. Now I ma shopping around at some shops in my area. Does anyone have any advice on brands/models/exc. . Also what would be a good price to spend.

Try the Catlike whisper (http://goo.gl/bKy5Gm). I've been using this for some months now and I love the fit.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Thank you everyone so much for the advice. I did return the helmet. Now I ma shopping around at some shops in my area. Does anyone have any advice on brands/models/exc. . Also what would be a good price to spend.

Try the Catlike whisper (http://goo.gl/bKy5Gm). I've been using this for some months now and I love the fit.

Which may be great for your head but not the OPs. Hence the slightly more educated replies saying "try a variety on!"

The answer is to try a number of different helmets on. It will become immediately apparent which ones are better than the others and it usually works out that one fits very much better. You should be able to put the helmet on and shake your head around without it moving, feeling any pressure points and WITHOUT having to do up the straps.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Also, if you wear sunglasses when riding, I would suggest you take these with you to the "fitting". A helmet could fit you perfectly but a bit of overhang onto the top of your shades will press them down on to the top of your nose and become a pain on anything but short rides.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Hi I want to thank everyone that gave me advice again. It was very helpful. I took your advice and went to a few LBS and tried on different brands, models, and styles. After doing that I finely found the Bontrager Circuit fits my head pretty good and sits off my ears. So thank you all again for the help I appreciate it.