Whyte 605 or B'Twin Rockrider 560

CBiscuit
CBiscuit Posts: 27
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Alright folks. Firstly, sorry for jumping straight into the forum with a question! I'm a long time lurker and can't think of a better forum to ask!

I'm basically trying to decide between two bikes. I plan on doing mostly trails and some general cross country stuff. Basically a half decent all rounder hard tail fits the bill!

After speaking to a pretty knowledgable guy in Edinburgh bicycle coop he kinda sold me with the chat about the Whyte 605. It's top end of my budget (over slightly, actually) but apparently have remarkable frames.. Which lets face it is the majority of the bike!

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/whyte-605-15

The dilemma is I have also seen this is decathlon and it appears to have a better spec and is £150 less that the Whyte! (£250 less than some places)
It's a btwin rockrider 560

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-id_8293151.html

I believe that replaced the 8.1 which got good reviews on here.

Just after some general thoughts from you guys? Purely on the two bikes and which I should choose (however If I go with the Whyte I'll get about £100 worth of free gear thrown in as well which is decent!)

What's the thoughts on this newer btwin then compared to the whyte? It does seem to have the better spec. Itching to get out there! Also just like to point out I've tried both bikes just generally cycling around and both feel and fit good enough.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get the RR, its not a competition its a walkover, even if you factor in £100 of goodies (or about £65 at internet prices if you get the same stuff) its not worth getting the Whyte.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CBiscuit
    The RR is down to £399. The whyte is £550 (although seen Evans and alpine selling it for £650). Just thought surly there must be a catch somewhere... Better spec and £250 less
  • The Rookie
    No catch, its a blinding deal.

They are probably reducing stock ready for next years model, so take advantage, thta model has been pretty stable for years so unless its going 27" its unlikely to be much different, even if it was the larger sized wheel wouldn't be worth that much to me
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CBiscuit
    You are right bud. There's a new model coming out with bigger wheels and a few other small upgrades http://www.btwin.com/blog/blog-and-news/2015-brand-new-mountain-bikes-rockrider-560/
  • leeo666
    leeo666 Posts: 10
    thats typical ive just got my 560 last weekend and there bringing a new one out this :cry:
  • The Rookie
    So what? Often new models hold price point so spec is actually worse!
  • CBiscuit
    Has a newer frame and stem and the 27.5 wheels and thats it I think. For an extra 230 quid compared to the current RR.

Thanks for the advice. Sold on the current one now. Was speaking to the guy in decathlon last night and said how well they had been selling.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    That Rock Rider wins hands down. It's a very very good price.

Although it is 26" - Bare in mind

I'd buy it still!
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • CBiscuit
    The only other bike I forgot to mention was the new 2015 spec voodoo hoodoo. The shimano brakes are a plus over the rrs avid set up but then it doesn't have the rockshock suspension the btwin does. And it's 100 quid more... Frame looks nice though

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-hoodoo-mountain-bike