Disc brake issue

Yizi
Yizi Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all, this is my first post here. I purchased a bike from Halfords last week (Carrera Vulcan 15) and the brake is making some noises. The noise sound is like when the brake is actually gripping to the disc and I don't know what to do, when I asked the the techies at Halford they said it will go away after a few use but I've been using it pretty much everyday since then and it still remains, any ideas?

Comments

• nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Brake pads usually need to bed-in to the disc rotor when new, and before this happens they can be a bit squealy. However, this brake squeal can often continue especially if the pads are sintered compound (quite common and I would guess yours likely are). You can improve things by cleaning the disc with some brake disc cleaner (Halfords normally have the Muc-Off version). Absolutely avoid getting anything such as oil, grease or GT85/WD40 anywhere near your discs - you'll be wanting new pads straight away. If it continues to bother you, consider buying some resin compound pads - less noise, more "grabby", but wear faster and not so great in the wet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some rubbing is perfectly normal, it happens, and you ride with it.

If it's noticeably slowing the wheel if you spin it then that is different.

For light rubbing, don't clean the disc, it wont make any difference at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yizi
    Yizi Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advise, I will give it a week or so and I will also check to see if it slows the wheel ...