What 29er Frame - Rigid, Steel?

Brighty
Brighty Posts: 119
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Looking to get back into biking and think a new bike will get me going.

Currently have a Merlin Rocklobster 853, full xt with reba team forks from back in 2007, nothing wrong with it, but i have a hankering for something new and fast for bombing along the jubilee river, Thames path and general larking about in the woods.

I keep thinking i should get a hybrid, maybe a boardman pro, but i think the spec on them has really dropped in recent years for their £1k price tag, so i then change my mind and think i should spec up and build my own fully rigid 29er with 1x10 or 2x10. That's my thinking this week, though i could be looking at hybrids again next week.

I like my steel hardtail, i started biking on an inherited steel saracen, then bought an '05 rockhopper, missed the steel zing, so got rid and bought a steel rock lobster.

What 29er frames should i consider? I want light and fast, but i want that steel zing, I want a rigid fork, but i'm a big-ish lad at 5'11.5" and 17st.

Keep looking at the nice cheap inbred 29er, any good?

Also seen the solaris, but too pricey at £500, though the old model is only £375 if i can fit a medium (had 17in rockhopper, 19 too big and have a 17in rocklobster). Hate that wrapped decal too, what happened to the old cotic logo?

So any of those frame suit what i'm after? Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Brighty

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inbred
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO29VD/on-one-inbred-29er-vertical-dropout

Any much higher spec frame is going to be circa £500 such as a Salsa or a Stanton etc
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    You mentioned hybrids. I got one of these on a whim when I was worrying about getting a 29 inch wheel and I quite like it.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-mx-comp-bike

£599 and is sometimes discounted. It needs to be converted to a 1x because the size of the two front gears are so different that changing up loses the chain - I'm not the only one who has noticed this. on one and the Cotic (solaris?) are both good steel frames. I agree about the steel zing.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    It needs to be converted to a 1x because the size of the two front gears are so different that changing up loses the chain - I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

Why would it lose the chain due to the gearing? Every compact road bike is 34/50, 16 teeth difference, just the same as the 32/48 on the Boardman? I never had a problem when I had a compact road bike! :?
  • Brighty
    Cheers guys

This is just in the planning stages at the mo and as i said i keep changing my mind between a rigid and a hybrid, but it's all about the rigid 29er this week.

I know the inbred will be the budget option, but when all the components i've spec'd come in at about £950, a couple of hundred more for a better frame doesn't seem too bad.

Really liking the look of the Stanton Sherpa in grey, very understated, also warming to the look of the duck egg blue solaris.

However, spoke to my brother last night and he said he has a Stooge and i should consider one of those (he lives in Germany so can't look at his). Didn't like the look to begin with, but it's growing on me. Not a bad price at £450 considering that includes Fork, Headset and BB. Not sure about the 'one size fits all' single size, but aparantly it's 18in which should be bob one for me anyway.

Anyone got experiance of the Stooge?

Cheers

Brighty
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Very pleased with my duck egg Solaris, but don't have experience of the others to comment I'm afraid.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Genesis High Latitude is available as frame only. Fairly cheap as well.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Massive fan of my massive (one of the very few XL made) Solaris.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Brighty
    Alright chaps

What are your thoughts on the Surly Karate Monkey Ops? Seems cheap for a frame/fork combo. Too hefty for what i want? Looks lovely in that orangey brown.

What's the deal with the 12x142 through axle dropout thing, will i need a special rear wheel for that, or does a standard shimano qr hub convert somehow?

Cheers

Brighty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 12x142 is a different standard, so would need a compatible hub (standard shimano 135 qr are not compatible). The standard Monkey frame is 5.5lbs for a large and the fork is 2.6lbs.

OnOne were doing the Carbon Whippets in 20" for £400 - these weigh around 3lbs, so a huge weight saving.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Genesis high latitude is well like by those that own one. See the love on single track world. I ride an old Gary fisher ferrous and love it. You can overcome weight with power beside with the modern trend of ever wider tyres weight does not seem to be problem for many.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Singular Swift
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Very pleased with my duck egg Solaris, but don't have experience of the others to comment I'm afraid.

just bought a second hand one of these,first ride out tonight and very impressed