Mechanical Doping update

Comments

• olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    Bear in mind the UCI regs implied strict liability. However, if this is confirmed, it could result in a reduced sentence. Reputational damage has already been done though, regardless.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • The dog ate my homework and my proof is that I have a dog.

Take it from me, this couldn't have happened with any GB rider, dads included.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Every now and again, dogs do eat schoolbooks...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Every now and again, dogs do eat schoolbooks...

I once ate a friend's homework. The quid I won was as nothing compared to the pleasure of listening to a teacher bollock him for having such a stupid excuse for ten minutes - and then producing photographic evidence. On reflection, I guess they were probably relieved that it was only photo evidence.

Didn't touch his bike though.

Anyone else think the excuse is dangerously close to Father Ted: "That money was only resting in my account..."?
  • ddraver
    I think it's tenuous but it is a possibility...certainly all these people worried about the size of the bike are barking up the wrong tree ('arf).

However it would be super easy to prove either way, the receipt from the motor in the other blokes name, the set up of the bike -even if all the kit was the same - would be different etc. Just measure the seat height (assuming there is a mark on the post...) So I don't see it lasting too long if it's a story
    - @ddraver
  • olake92
    Playing devil's advocate here (I have no feeling either way right now, I'm waiting for proper investigations to be concluded), I'm going to remind people of Sally Clark and the role that prosecutor's fallacy played in her wrongful imprisonment.

Dogs do sometimes eat homework. Just as, however ridiculous it sounds, a man's motorised bike may end up getting packed away with the team bikes at the world CX champs. Bear in mind she might be telling the truth and we'll have to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • olake92
    It also reminds me of a time my friend agreed to swallow £1 for a bet of £1. Upon completion, he was told that he could keep the pound he swallowed as payment.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    olake92 wrote:
    It also reminds me of a time my friend agreed to swallow £1 for a bet of £1. Upon completion, he was told that he could keep the pound he swallowed as payment.

Every thread returns to 'nuffle'
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    There's a good (long) interview here from December with the UCI’s newish technical manager Mark Barfield on a wide range of subjects:

http://cyclingtips.com/2015/12/qa-with-uci-technical-manager-mark-barfield-weight-limit-disc-brakes-more/

It includes this on bike testing for motors:
    We are changing the way we test. All I can tell you is it’s based on magnetic resistance. There is a lot of work to be done. We’ve done our first trial and we have more trials in February. Its first outing, fingers crossed, will be the World Cyclocross Championships ... we’ll probably do our first test in women’s racing next year because we need to extend. We now have the ability to test more bikes more often.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    What are the rules as regards use of the bike - does having the bike ready to use equate to using it or is this something that might provide her with a loophole ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Joelsim wrote:
    From what I can garner the UCI tested for some RF/electromagnetics, which showed up, took the saddle off and found wires in there, then took the cranks off which didn't come off as normal to find the motor hidden in the BB. It appears that the bike looked exactly the same as a non-motored bike to the naked eye. It apparently also had her name on it.

Cookson has said that they don't want to go into more detail about this new detection equipment for obvious reasons.

As far as I'm aware historically, they have only really been checking bikes in the last couple of years.

The UCI have been going over bikes for the last 6 seasons. Refining their checking processes in the period, mind
    It was only following the CIRC report that they were in any way serious about it though.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,624
    Is Femke Van den Driessche the sacrificial lamb to alert others that the UCI now has battery testing kit?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Is Femke Van den Driessche the sacrificial lamb to alert others that the UCI now has battery testing kit?

"Sacrificial lamb" suggests innocence and victimhood, that's not the case here is it?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Surely a pair of eyes and a wrench is all the kit they need.

However, if Gazzetta dello Sport want to buy a state of the art tester I have one. It may look like an old Nokia and lead gaffer taped to an indoor TV aerial but rest assured it cutting edge electromagnetic technology. Yours for just 25,000 euros.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

However, if Gazzetta dello Sport want to buy a state of the art tester I have one. It may look like an old Nokia and lead gaffer taped to an indoor TV aerial but rest assured it cutting edge electromagnetic technology. Yours for just 25,000 euros.

One option is to spend a couple of seconds scanning a bike for batteries, the other is to spend quite a lot longer taking it apart and looking in all sorts of hiding places. I know which of the two options I would prefer both as the examiner and as the UCI.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

"Sacrificial lamb" suggests innocence and victimhood, that's not the case here is it?

Well, yes, but she may feel like the victim. Why does the UCI bring previously unknown tech to a small race rather than going after the big boys, life is so unfair etc. etc. Not saying I have any sympathy.
  • ddraver
    The small World Championships?
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver wrote:

How many of them are professional?
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

One option is to spend a couple of seconds scanning a bike for batteries, the other is to spend quite a lot longer taking it apart and looking in all sorts of hiding places. I know which of the two options I would prefer both as the examiner and as the UCI.
    Sure it's easier, but motors have always been detectable. This isn't like a drug test.
  • ddraver
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

most of the important ones - including the one caught
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited February 2016
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Well, yes, but she may feel like the victim. Why does the UCI bring previously unknown tech to a small race rather than going after the big boys, life is so unfair etc. etc. Not saying I have any sympathy.

Eh? World Champs.

from last Dec, interview with UCI Tech man Mike Barfield:

http://cyclingtips.com/2015/12/qa-with- ... akes-more/

'We are changing the way we test. All I can tell you is it’s based on magnetic resistance. There is a lot of work to be done. We’ve done our first trial and we have more trials in February. Its first outing, fingers crossed, will be the World Cyclocross Championships.

I personally think it’s more a problem at Gran Fondos [ed. which the UCI actually holds a World Championships for] and that level of racing. The testing we will have will be so easy to use that every commissaire will be able to use it. So [testing] will be able to go on far beyond the WorldTour races.

We’ll probably do our first test in women’s racing next year because we need to extend. We now have the ability to test more bikes more often.'

Have to say, fair play to the UCI
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I'd still struggle to define it as a big race in cycling.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Family friend of the Van den Driessche fam comes forward, says it's his bike and backs up their story

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ow_twitter

If the powered bike is publicly available in team colours (and model) as the non-powered version which was allegedly ridden, then the 'family friend story' becomes a bit more plausible. If it isn't then.....
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Fortunately, your personal struggle does not alter the status of the race.
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Sure it's easier, but motors have always been detectable. This isn't like a drug test.

It's very similar to a drug test. The first test for CERA required mountains of urine, so it could only be done on targeted cases. With time the test improved and it could be done on all samples. The speed and efficiency in testing is very important as there is only a finite budget of time and money for testing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Hard to compare different disciplines but I'd say it was an important race, cross has a pretty big following, certainly up there with anything you could win on the track.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Family friend of the Van den Driessche fam comes forward, says it's his bike and backs up their story

If the powered bike is publicly available in team colours (and model) as the non-powered version which was allegedly ridden, then the 'family friend story' becomes a bit more plausible. If it isn't then.....

They'll just say it was an old cast off of hers given to the friend won't they. A pre planned excuse, they've had time to think it all through. I don't believe a word of it, but there's scope for planting a 0.001% doubt unless strict liability is applied.
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:

They'll just say it was an old cast off of hers given to the friend won't they. A pre planned excuse, they've had time to think it all through. I don't believe a word of it, but there's scope for planting a 0.001% doubt unless strict liability is applied.

The UCI regs that were updated last year places strict liability for technological fraud on the rider and the team involved, it seems
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's very similar to a drug test. The first test for CERA required mountains of urine, so it could only be done on targeted cases. With time the test improved and it could be done on all samples. The speed and efficiency in testing is very important as there is only a finite budget of time and money for testing.
    You miss my point. Traces of a motor don't disappear over time, like a drug. It's either there or it's not.

And nobody is going to convict anyone solely of the basis of an EMF detector reading. They will still need to take the bike apart and find the motor. The new test is just filtering out bikes to use the old test on. (I'll also guess that they will still take apart a few bikes with non-suspicious readings as well)