Replacement for Truvativ 5D 3.0 44/32/22T

Beer&bike
Beer&bike Posts: 5
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my bike a Saracen Zen1 2008 and have no idea what to replace the Truvativ 5D 3.0 44/32/22T chainset with Truvativ Power Spline cartridge bearing with. I have listed the current set up below
Gears: 27
Gears rear: Shimano LX conventional shift
Gears front: Shimano Deore
Gear shifters: Shimano Deore Rapidfire pods 27 speed
Chainset: Truvativ 5D 3.0 44/32/22T with 175mm alloy
crank arms & Power Spline
Bottom bracket: Truvativ Power Spline cartridge bearing
Freewheel: Shimano cassette 11-32T 9 speed

Does anyone know what would replace this nowadays? I am a bit lost.

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any MTB crankset for a 68mm English thread BB shell.

that crankset isnt at all bad, but the logical upgrade replacement is a Deore HT2 (about £50 upwards - more if you want to go to SLX) and add on circa £15-20 to get the BB shell faced.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Beer&bike
    Thanks for the advice guys. They have stood the test of time and done many miles and they need to be retired.

Cheers

Lee
  • Beer&bike
    Hi,

Just another qstn if I went for the Deore M590 would I need to get the BB shell faced? Apologies if this is a simple thing but I have no knowledge on kit. Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's recommended.

I've changed a few bikes without facing and had no issues.

The Deore BB is pretty rubbish anyway, I'd be tempted to give it a go, and if it lasts less than six months to a year, have it faced and fit an XT or XTR BB.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Facing is recommended, some frames are fine without, some need it badly, like my eldest daughters.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Beer&bike
    Facing is recommended, some frames are fine without, some need it badly, like my eldest daughters.

I just spat my tea across my desk lol.

Cheers for the info.