Measurement of set back seat post?

Zani
Zani Posts: 14
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I am looking in to getting a dropper seat post, but I am in a bit of a pickle. - My frame only allows for 11cm of seat post + I am not the tallest @ 5 ft 5 "

My current seat post is a 350 which has had a 20 to 30mm chop (cant remember).

I was thinking of a gravity dropper, which comes in 300, to make sure I allow minimum insertion (which is almost all of the frame) please can you help me out.

What is the measurement of my current seat post? It's difficult for me to be sure, because it is different at each point of the rails:

20150629_132450_zpsuqkixhye.jpg

20150629_132520_zps71q3gitt.jpg

20150629_132615_zpsqpfo3nhm.jpg

Thank you for your help!
Regards

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well looks like a 300 now, so that would be a 50mm chop, the measurement is normally to the bottom of the 'head' not the rails.

Can you get a setback dropper (Gravity are all inline), otherwise you will shorten the bike by one size fitting an inline, will that still fit you?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Zani
    Thanks Rookie!

I am some what surprised to read measurement is taken from the bottom of the head, as every thing I have read says from the centre of the rails.

Very valid point on set-back... I hadn't even realised that... Problem as explained I am very limited to choice in dropper as the gravity dropper is the only one in 300 I can find... So it's either live with out one or sit closer to the bars, but I don't know how I will get on, may have to fit a longer stem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fitting a longer stem affects the steering, personally I'd accept I wasn't going to be able to fit a dropper.

Re length measurement, I can only go on the quoted lengths of ones I have bought and where that measurement then stopped at on the post!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Zani
    I see, maybe I will have to try and visit a shop to be sure!

I'm not a pro, but feel a dropper would benefit me greatly, there are lots of table tops throughout the trails I visit, I have nearly been thrown off a few times (feet came off pedals). I took a shorter post with me one day and I was able to go much faster over them with out the seat giving me a push up the rear end. Slowing down doesn't seem like an option haha