Gears jumping under pressure

rubyhorse2
rubyhorse2 Posts: 23
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
ok this has been sending me mad for weeks now.

Bike is an orange five pro

Gears started to jump when under pressure so i did a quick google and i have now purchased new and installed the following :

new rear cassette
new chain
new bottom bracket bearings
double checked the chain length

Seemed ok for a week but is now doing it again, i live in a sunny old Lancashire valley so its hills on every ride i do, plus i am in training for the C2C in August. Really need this sorted but i hate going to a bike shop and getting ripped off.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assume the mech is indexed correctly? And you replaced the cables at the same time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubyhorse2
    hi, i've not replaced the cabling, i'll check it all tonight and also check the alignment.

If there is one thing i hate its aligning the gears (no doubt this is the issue)

Thing is while bike is on stand and out riding normally its all fine (gears all change perfectly), its just under hard pressure it happens, presume this could be misalignment?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit pointless replacing random stuff if the indexing is out. Read Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubyhorse2
    Wasnt replacing random stuff, the bikes 2 1/2 years old and has plenty of use, the rear cassette was in need of replacement as was the chain. Other orange users also change their bearings every 6 months, which i will do from now on as its a relatively cheap and simple bit of maintenance.

i clean and maintain the bike weekly, but i think we all tend to get as much life out of parts as we can, when possibly we shouldnt.

anyway, i'll check the gears this weekend, thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Changing chain and cassette probably means you need a new chainring then.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    where is it jumping?

is it actually jumping or does the free hub need some love.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown