KMC quick link hint

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
After spending (on and off) 7 hours trying to get a KMC quick link apart, thought I'd post the solution which I think would be very adaptable at the roadside.

I simply took a shoe lace, looped it around the two links that the quicklink went through, and then tied the laces together to form a loop. Then I put an allen key inside the loop and began twisting so that as it got tight the forces pulled together the links to put more force on them than I could manage myself. A quick pinch together of the links once it got tight and voila, finally an unlinked chain!

And the bonus of the technique? The laces then held the chain in place so that it didn't just all drizzle out onto the floor.

Genuis! I thank you....
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    After spending (on and off) 7 hours trying to get a KMC quick link apart, thought I'd post the solution which I think would be very adaptable at the roadside.

I simply took a shoe lace, looped it around the two links that the quicklink went through, and then tied the laces together to form a loop. Then I put an allen key inside the loop and began twisting so that as it got tight the forces pulled together the links to put more force on them than I could manage myself. A quick pinch together of the links once it got tight and voila, finally an unlinked chain!

And the bonus of the technique? The laces then held the chain in place so that it didn't just all drizzle out onto the floor.

Genuis! I thank you....

if you position the chain a certain way on the chainring you need no tools to get it apart (have a google) - useful if out and about in an emergency
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most people on here are speshul and have velcro shoes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    Most people on here are speshul and have velcro shoes.
    LOL, true. OK, from now on even if I wear my speshul shoes, I'll carry a lace with me, wrapped around my spare innertube...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pair of pliers, or better still the proper tool?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Who has pliers out on the trail?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not me. Even then you'd need needle nose ones that are quite needle like through their length to fit.
  • The Rookie
    Who has pliers out on the trail?
    Have a guess.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Still reckon a nice smooth shoe lace is far less likely to scratch or damage anything than a pair of pliers. And it wasn't as if my 7 hour labour didn't involve needle nosed pliers (unsuccessfully)!
  • The Rookie
    Use the pliers on the sideplates not the rollers, opposing corners and off it pops.
  • larkim
    Use the pliers on the sideplates not the rollers, opposing corners and off it pops.
    Tried that, no joy. Don't know what was causing them to stick, but no amount of force was budging them this time. All I can say is that my way was simple and effective after many, many attempts at more traditional options. No-one need use this approach if other more normal options work fine, but given the simplicity of it for me I can say that it will be my first port of call in future!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    If you didn't last time, try squeezing the side plates together whilst you slide them apart, they're locked together unless you do this.

Don't have pliers as they can usually be undone with the above technique using finger and thumb.
  • larkim
    If you didn't last time, try squeezing the side plates together whilst you slide them apart, they're locked together unless you do this.

Don't have pliers as they can usually be undone with the above technique using finger and thumb.
    To be honest, that's the trick that has usually worked for me in the past - a squirt of WD40 (I know, I shouldn't blaspheme) to facilitate cleaning out the gunk, a quick squeeze inwards to and then popping them apart.

But it wasn't working on Saturday, believe me! My laces / windlass technique did also involve a little squeeze together from the sides in the end too so that they weren't in their locked position.