8 To 10 speed

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

Just changed my 10 year old sons Whyte 604 gearing from 8 speed to 10 speed on the rear, which has made a big difference for him.

He's always struggled changing the triple chain rings through strength and how far you have to push the lever with your thumb, he has to use the palm of his hand, so I was thinking of fitting a XT shifter because of the longer silver shift lever, as his bike was a 8 speed does it make a difference which XT shifter I get as in 8,9,10 speed as it's for the triple chain rings ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you want 10 on the back you nee the chain the rear mech and the shifter not to mention the cassette.

10 is not mixable with 8 or 9.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming you've changed all those parts for the rear...

The front shifters all pull the same cable amount so you can use any, but the front mech cage is wider on an 8 speed for the wider chain, so you'll need a new front mech to suite the narrower 10 speed chain, 9 works but you can pick up a ten now for less anyway usually.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Assuming you've changed all those parts for the rear...

The front shifters all pull the same cable amount so you can use any, but the front mech cage is wider on an 8 speed for the wider chain, so you'll need a new front mech to suite the narrower 10 speed chain, 9 works but you can pick up a ten now for less anyway usually.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.