Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good speech, shame about the party

FTFY.

Don't do that please.
    Why not? Have I offended you?
    No, just quoted me and changed my words. Bad form imo.
    That's why I said FTFY - to make it really clear that I'd changed what you said. Pretty standard stuff.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Re long term changes.
    I’m not quite so bleak as Rick in how I see changes manifesting themselves but I do foresee many coming out of this. The usual mix of foreseeable and unexpected ones.

Supermarkets. Won’t be at all surprised to see ranges stay permanently reduced and opening hours standardised. The economic benefits of both will assist the bottom line and roll back a scenario that was created pre-online shopping that they’ve struggled to roll back.
    Permanent increase in online shopping.

Remote working: massive increase on a permanent basis and much less dedicated office space.

NHS. Hmmm, there will be changes but risky to guess what. Rationalisation of services maybe and simplification of management structures to tackle retention and provision.

Cultural. Who knows. Resumed respect for experts maybe. Social media suggests otherwise.

Political. I don’t think the virus will drastically change the political landscape in UK or Europe as we are all fairing similarly. The recession may change that.

Exercise. Short to mid term, people will appreciate the outdoors more and what the UK has to offer. More domestic tourism due to recession and travel industry decimation.

Travel industry. Fucked. Higher costs due to limited supply due to amount of closures.

Nationalism. I think countries will look internally at how they can be more self reliant having seen the world competing for limited resources. Maybe manufacturing domestically becomes an area of interest.

China. If the world perceives they deliberately provided faulty goods to the EU, trust may be eroded and a shift in the dynamic may happen. It may just be they provided faulty stuff because that’s what they were using.

More of a sense of community. Not expecting a massive shift but I have seen evidence locally.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited April 2020
    morstar said:

Re long term changes.
    I’m not quite so bleak as Rick in how I see changes manifesting themselves but I do foresee many coming out of this. The usual mix of foreseeable and unexpected ones.

Supermarkets. Won’t be at all surprised to see ranges stay permanently reduced and opening hours standardised. The economic benefits of both will assist the bottom line and roll back a scenario that was created pre-online shopping that they’ve struggled to roll back.

Remote working: massive increase on a permanent basis and much less dedicated office space.

NHS. Hmmm, there will be changes but risky to guess what. Rationalisation of services maybe and simplification of management structures to tackle retention and provision.

Cultural. Who knows. Resumed respect for experts maybe. Social media suggests otherwise.

Political. I don’t think the virus will drastically change the political landscape in UK or Europe as we are all fairing similarly. The recession may change that.

Exercise. Short to mid term, people will appreciate the outdoors more and what the UK has to offer. More domestic tourism due to recession and travel industry decimation.

Travel industry. censored . Higher costs due to limited supply due to amount of closures.

Nationalism. I think countries will look internally at how they can be more self reliant having seen the world competing for limited resources. Maybe manufacturing domestically becomes an area of interest.

China. If the world perceives they deliberately provided faulty goods to the EU, trust may be eroded and a shift in the dynamic may happen. It may just be they provided faulty stuff because that’s what they were using.

More of a sense of community. Not expecting a massive shift but I have seen evidence locally.

Ya think? I suspect China will emerge from this in a far stronger position than the rest of the world and the switch in the balance of power between them and the US will be accelerated. Unless Trump can work an economic miracle then America is looking in very bad shape and the knock on effect for the rest of us will be huge. Expect China to extract a huge price from debtor nations who want to continue trading with her (as we surely will). The world is going to be a very different place after this and not in a good way. The consequences for trashing our economies are going to be far reaching and painful. Just watch.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    shortfall said:

morstar said:

Re long term changes.

Travel industry. censored . Higher costs due to limited supply due to amount of closures.

Ya think? I suspect China will emerge from this in a far stronger position than the rest of the world and the switch in the balance of power between them and the US will be accelerated. Unless Trump can work an economic miracle then America is fvcked and the knock on effect for the rest of us will be huge. Expect China to extract a huge price from debtor nations who want to continue trading with her (as we surely will). The world is going to be a very different place after this and not in a good way. The consequences for trashing our economies are going to be far reaching and painful. Just watch.
    You’ll notice I’ve focussed more locally than the global dynamic. So what you’re saying doesn’t really agree or disagree with my comments on the whole.
    Re the global dynamic. I think China comes out incredibly strong yes, but they are strong based on low cost supply. I think two things will start to change. Western economies may finally realise we are too dependent on them and start to look both internally and to other markets. If we stop buying everything from China their power is reduced.
    They are a becoming a global monopoly and we’ve sleep walked into that. But rather than continue down that path, we can start to change direction. I think this may sow the first seeds of that shift both through necessity and shifting attitudes.
    The biggest risk is China aggressively asserting authority over other potential manufacturers.
    As for US. They are / have been gradually declining for years but are still a huge market. If anything, their get through this quickly approach (by design or ignorance) is what you have argued could be the better economic path. So you can’t really argue they’ve allowed this to run and trashed the economy.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited April 2020
    morstar said:

shortfall said:

morstar said:

Re long term changes.

Ya think? I suspect China will emerge from this in a far stronger position than the rest of the world and the switch in the balance of power between them and the US will be accelerated. Unless Trump can work an economic miracle then America is fvcked and the knock on effect for the rest of us will be huge. Expect China to extract a huge price from debtor nations who want to continue trading with her (as we surely will). The world is going to be a very different place after this and not in a good way. The consequences for trashing our economies are going to be far reaching and painful. Just watch.
    You’ll notice I’ve focussed more locally than the global dynamic. So what you’re saying doesn’t really agree or disagree with my comments on the whole.
    Re the global dynamic. I think China comes out incredibly strong yes, but they are strong based on low cost supply. I think two things will start to change. Western economies may finally realise we are too dependent on them and start to look both internally and to other markets. If we stop buying everything from China their power is reduced.
    They are a becoming a global monopoly and we’ve sleep walked into that. But rather than continue down that path, we can start to change direction. I think this may sow the first seeds of that shift both through necessity and shifting attitudes.
    The biggest risk is China aggressively asserting authority over other potential manufacturers.
    As for US. They are / have been gradually declining for years but are still a huge market. If anything, their get through this quickly approach (by design or ignorance) is what you have argued could be the better economic path. So you can’t really argue they’ve allowed this to run and trashed the economy.
    I agree with most of that but America's get through it quickly approach has surely changed? In any case, that's not "my" solution. I have only questioned the wider ramifications of lockdown and the crushing of civil liberties and suggested that we look for solutions to the nations who haven't done this but who are so far coming out of it better than we are.
    I'd also question the likelihood of the West being in a position to get back on their feet whilst keeping g China at arms length. We're still going to want to buy lots of cheap stuff and not be in a position to be fussy about where it comes from? And surely they're going to be the ones dictating terms being as they're the World's biggest creditor?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    So those who think the ability to borrow is unlimited what do you think about the BofE using it’s Ways and Means account to avoid a possible failed gilts offering.

As somebody who thinks QE does not pass the sniff test this really is dodgy. Interesting that it is banned in the Eurozone.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732

So those who think the ability to borrow is unlimited what do you think about the BofE using it’s Ways and Means account to avoid a possible failed gilts offering.

As somebody who thinks QE does not pass the sniff test this really is dodgy. Interesting that it is banned in the Eurozone.

What’s your worry? Inflation?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    edited April 2020
    Ask those who have been banging on about tax and spend.
    We have seen the spending, we will be taxed to oblivion. With all that entails.

For benefit of doubt, I think the spending was necessary.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter

My worry is that we are inventing smart arse financial products that will explode and leave us looking like Greece.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

Ask those who have been banging on about tax and spend.
    We have seen the spending, we will be taxed to oblivion. With all that entails.

For benefit of doubt, I think the spending was necessary.

Agreed - as I have long argued the problem was our start point
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2020

My worry is that we are inventing smart censored financial products that will explode and leave us looking like Greece.
    How would this action blow up?

This might put your mind at rest: https://voxeu.org/article/monetisation-do-not-panic
  • surrey_commuter

My worry is that we are inventing smart censored financial products that will explode and leave us looking like Greece.

This might put your mind at rest: https://voxeu.org/article/monetisation-do-not-panic
    Not at all.

A cleverer man than me uses economic theory to show me that something is OK.

My mind is still screaming that if it was such a fantastic idea why did they not do it in the Napoleonic wars or any financial crisis since.

Can you really not think of any recent examples of clever chaps inventing new financial instruments to solve a problem.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    The highest gross remption yield on a gilt is currently 82 bps on the 2046 one. If there was a concern rates would have gone up instead they are much much lower than they have been historically .
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687

Not at all.

My mind is still screaming that if it was such a fantastic idea why did they not do it in the Napoleonic wars or any financial crisis since.

Can you really not think of any recent examples of clever chaps inventing new financial instruments to solve a problem.
    Not really a comment on Rick's link, but "they didn't try this 200 years ago" is not much of an argument.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

Not at all.

Not really a comment on Rick's link, but "they didn't try this 200 years ago" is not much of an argument.
    I did not arbitrarily chose that date, the primacy and ingenuity of the City of London allowed us to fund and win the war.

I also said since so including WW1, WW2, oil price shock, us going to IMF and GFC.

And now we have adopted a solution that was deemed unacceptable as a solution to those crises.
  • surrey_commuter

The highest gross remption yield on a gilt is currently 82 bps on the 2046 one. If there was a concern rates would have gone up instead they are much much lower than they have been historically .

That just rings a bigger alarm bell.

Why adopt this dubious strategy when there is no apparent need?
  • TheBigBean

The buyers of a lot of gilts are currently stuck at home wrestling with kids and sickness not fully focused on work. Haven't you noticed?
  • rick_chasey

The buyers of a lot of gilts are currently stuck at home wrestling with kids and sickness not fully focused on work. Haven't you noticed?
    Gilts also didn’t perform as expected during the recent crash so investors have ditched their “buy gilts in a downturn” strategy and are sitting in cash till they know what the hell is going on.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Not at all.

I did not arbitrarily chose that date, the primacy and ingenuity of the City of London allowed us to fund and win the war.

I also said since so including WW1, WW2, oil price shock, us going to IMF and GFC.

And now we have adopted a solution that was deemed unacceptable as a solution to those crises.
    I don't follow. The Crown borrowing to fight a war goes back to at least the beginning of banking. Bankers continue to invent new ways of lending. There are lots of things not invented in 1815, that we now take for granted. Some of them have turned out to have serious side effects. Why would the same not apply to lending?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    Plenty of alchemy during the gold stanard time
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not at all.

I don't follow. The Crown borrowing to fight a war goes back to at least the beginning of banking. Bankers continue to invent new ways of lending. There are lots of things not invented in 1815, that we now take for granted. Some of them have turned out to have serious side effects. Why would the same not apply to lending?
    Crown traditionally used taxation to fund wars.

This is not a new invention, it is a massive extension of an existing instrument.

And still you chose to ignore my use of the word “since”
  • surrey_commuter

Gilts also didn’t perform as expected during the recent crash so investors have ditched their “buy gilts in a downturn” strategy and are sitting in cash till they know what the hell is going on.

Govt were three times over subscribed

“Sitting in cash” does that mean I need to worry about borrowing indefinitely?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Anyone who worried about Diane Abbott being home secretary...

Priti Patel: "I've been in the Home Office working virtually every single day, seven days a week, three days a week in the Home Office actually."
  • surrey_commuter

Anyone who worried about Diane Abbott being home secretary...

Priti Patel: "I've been in the Home Office working virtually every single day, seven days a week, three days a week in the Home Office actually."

Interesting that she only reappeared once Boris had disappeared
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not at all.

This is not a new invention, it is a massive extension of an existing instrument.

So are you just pointing out that it's a long time since the government borrowed this much?

Yes the Crown did raise taxes as well, and any other way they could think of. In 1347 Edward III defaulted on a loan to one of the early Florentine banks. Money he borrowed to finance the invasion of France. The invasion failed; Edward defaulted and the bank went bust.

https://www.beyondtheyalladog.com/2015/11/peruzzi-bank-and-the-interest-on-king-edward-iiis-loan/
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not at all.

So are you just pointing out that it's a long time since the government borrowed this much?

Yes the Crown did raise taxes as well, and any other way they could think of. In 1347 Edward III defaulted on a loan to one of the early Florentine banks. Money he borrowed to finance the invasion of France. The invasion failed; Edward defaulted and the bank went bust.

https://www.beyondtheyalladog.com/2015/11/peruzzi-bank-and-the-interest-on-king-edward-iiis-loan/
    My original point is more lucid than my usual offering, as such I do not think any attempt to clarify what I meant will be successful.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not at all.

My original point is more lucid than my usual offering, as such I do not think any attempt to clarify what I meant will be successful.
    So how does this problematic central bank behaviour end up?

What problem is it storing up?

It’s not quite clear to me what you expect to happen.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    I'm only guessing but I picture a fan and some sh!t.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not at all.

So how does this problematic central bank behaviour end up?

What problem is it storing up?

It’s not quite clear to me what you expect to happen.
    Even if you don’t agree with my opinion on public debt surely you understand it?

I am merely passing on news that the Govt is resorting to non-traditional means of meeting it’s funding requirements. In nobody’s world can this be a positive.

You may still think that I am wrong but your level of certainty will/should have reduced.