Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    IAG is a conglomerate with a bunch of Euro carriers.

The whole lot are gonna go under without some serious state support.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

Well quite.

if you want a jaw dropper, check out the Wizz Air opening this morning

I was trying to work out which airlines we think we should bail out
    BA - is IAG anything to do with UK?
    Ryanair - doubt the Irish have the money
    Virgin - feels British but nothing to do with us
    EasyJet - probably the most British and best business model

Who is going to petition for their bankruptcy? Certainly not lenders who have no more use for empty planes than they do.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480

RIP my bro in law's tracker: FTSE down 9% at pixel.

I was going to ask you about that; beat me to it. Sometimes it's better to be a chicken.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

I was going to ask you about that; beat me to it. Sometimes it's better to be a chicken.
    The investor saying is "only monkeys pick bottoms"
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Just because it's a Sunday doesn't mean the crash is finished.

I guess the other thing to note is crashes take weeks and months and are made of of bad days.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pblakeney said:

Well quite.

Can I play “Spot the Easyjet customer”?
    😂😉😂
    I am confused, the only two options I can see are that you are saying they have no customers or are you saying I am an Easyjet customer, neither of which makes much sense.
  • surrey_commuter

Well quite.

Who is going to petition for their bankruptcy? Certainly not lenders who have no more use for empty planes than they do.

what happens when they run out of cash and can't pay the wages or buy fuel? I imagine existing lenders would try and bluff a Govt into doing the heavy lifting.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

Well quite.

what happens when they run out of cash and can't pay the wages or buy fuel? I imagine existing lenders would try and bluff a Govt into doing the heavy lifting.
    Of course they will, along with everyone else. They don't need fuel as they are not flying. They do need a staff plan.

Once the world has recovered, the same planes, the same airports, the same passengers and mostly the same staff will continue flying people around the world. Equity will have lost a lot, banks will have lost a lot and so will the staff.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

pblakeney said:

Well quite.

Can I play “Spot the Easyjet customer”?
    😂😉😂
    I am confused, the only two options I can see are that you are saying they have no customers or are you saying I am an Easyjet customer, neither of which makes much sense.
    It was a lighthearted comment.
    Lighten up ffs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865

Well quite.

Ryanair are saying they'll stop 80% of flights now, and might stop completely after that, to preserve their financial position as much as possible.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    We could end up with a Corbynite wet dream of huge swathes of UK businesses having to be nationalised to survive the coming months.
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

We could end up with a Corbynite wet dream of huge swathes of UK businesses having to be nationalised to survive the coming months.

Already got record fiscal expansion and highest tax take in 50 years so JC must be thinking job done.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2020
    So apparently the U.K. govt is seriously considering making broadband a proper public utility that people need-to-have by the government, who’ve got providers to agree to lift all data caps, prioritise repairs to the vulnerable, and avoid cutting off people who can’t pay their bills.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/broadband-providers-to-lift-data-caps-during-covid-19-lockdown?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I think the govt is running out of labour policies to enact.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    edited March 2020

So apparently the U.K. govt is seriously considering making broadband a proper public utility that people need-to-have by the government, who’ve got providers to agree to lift all data caps, prioritise repairs to the vulnerable, and avoid cutting off people who can’t pay their bills.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/broadband-providers-to-lift-data-caps-during-covid-19-lockdown?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

No problem now that they have found Labour's money tree and are using it.

Edit - It's getting galling that I currently pay full whack for an unlimited and fast service which is seemingly getting throttled.

Edit 2 - Likely throttling culprit is VPN. Wonder what everyone is streaming that requires secrecy? 🤔🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Better start voting for the party that does the stuff you want then Rick.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Stevo, I thought you agreed with everything that the Tories do, except Brexit.

You should have voted Labour, right?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo, I thought you agreed with everything that the Tories do, except Brexit.

You should have voted Labour, right?

We are in extraordinary times as you well know.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Lib Dems then yeah?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Lib Dems then yeah?
    They're not doing anything much as far as I can see?
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2020
    Quite tough to since they’re not in govt.

Which labour policy that the Tories have enacted is your favourite?
  • Stevo_666

No particular favourites, but extraordinary times demand extraordinary measures.

Which ones do you object to?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

No particular favourites, but extraordinary times demand extraordinary measures.

Leaving the European health kit purchasing scheme or whatever it is called and continuing to say Brexit will happen in 2020.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

Stevo_666 said:

Leaving the European health kit purchasing scheme or whatever it is called and continuing to say Brexit will happen in 2020.
    Didn't you comment earlier that Europe has ended up buying in duff stuff from China? If so it was probably better not to have been involved.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Didn't you comment earlier that Europe has ended up buying in duff stuff from China? If so it was probably better not to have been involved.
    It has - Netherlands has just had to recall and bin over half a million China sourced masks that were defective.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

No they were donations from China.
  • surrey_commuter

Stevo_666 said:

Fiscal expansion rather than delaying budget by a week to see how C19 was playing out
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Remember how the government were boycotting the BBC even into the end of February? I remember seeing Jeremy Hunt on the news giving the government view on the coronavirus and thinking "why aren't they taking this seriously?".
  • surrey_commuter
    Going on TV in mid-March appealing for somebody to make ventilators rather than doing it sensibly in Jan or Feb
  • surrey_commuter
    Only sorting out enough tests for 500 NHS frontline staff per day.
    Maybe they could free up time by not holding meeting to plan talking bow locks. Are we on 10,000, 25,000 or 250,000
  • surrey_commuter
    Why not negotiate with private hospitals back in Jan rather than mid March.