Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Meanwhile, un-noticed by many, the Labour leadership contest starts to get a bit nasty. Surprise, surprise...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51443399

They're hilarious, we've all seen the vicious way some of the unions behave and Longbailey is using their play book. Not that "we were just testing to see if it was hackable" is believable either.

That was a cracking explanation, wasn't it. Bit like a bank robber getting caught red handed in the vault and saying 'I was just checking it couldn't be broken into, honest guv' :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Meanwhile, un-noticed by many, the Labour leadership contest starts to get a bit nasty. Surprise, surprise...

They're hilarious, we've all seen the vicious way some of the unions behave and Longbailey is using their play book. Not that "we were just testing to see if it was hackable" is believable either.

That was a cracking explanation, wasn't it. Bit like a bank robber getting caught red handed in the vault and saying 'I was just checking it couldn't be broken into, honest guv' :)
    Epic. they're either really stupid or think we are. (or both)
  • david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Learning from the winners. As long as you win, there's no consequences.
  • Stevo_666

david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Learning from the winners. As long as you win, there's no consequences.
    That's a bit tricky for a bunch of leftie losers :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    edited February 2020
    Anyone who thinks the left are not as nasty as the right need to spend some time in a unionised industry to see this first hand. Self interest above all else.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    No-one thinks that, John.

Nastiness isn't politically aligned.
  • Stevo_666

No-one thinks that, John.

Nastiness isn't politically aligned.

I read John's post as it (nastiness) being pretty evenly spread.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2020
    I see fhat Rebecca Long-Bailey has offered a cabinet position to Jezza if she wins the leadership contest. She must be determined to make it 5 in a row for New Old Labour :)
    https://politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/jeremy-corbyn/news/109940/rebecca-long-bailey-would-offer
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020
    “I’m not saying ‘austerity is killing people’. I’m saying it’s highly likely” - Michael Marmot, Institute of Health Equity

Gains in UK life expectancy stall after decade of austerity, report says - is the headline.

https://www.ft.com/content/35003f82-565d-11ea-abe5-8e03987b7b20

The largest decreases in life expectancy were seen in the most deprived 10 per cent of neighbourhoods in the North East, and the largest increases in the least deprived 10 per cent of neighbourhoods in London.

These declines need not have happened, the report suggested. In 2010, public expenditure had amounted to 42 per cent of gross domestic product “and that’s now 35 per cent. And that’s a political decision,” Sir Michael said.

• Let's see that split obey socio- economic groups, eh stevo! It might not be all bad for some. ;)

Seriously, anyone have the secret curiosity if the life expectancy for their socioeconomic group is not that bad? Not as in a I'm alright Jack attitude, just pure curiosity?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    Ah come on. We all know the plan is for the plebs to work till they drop. Saves on care innit. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I am suprised at my own antipathy about this leadership contest. Normally I'm a politics nerd, but this is passing me by unnoticed. I think if Thornberry was still in contention, the debates would be worth watching, but these three are just a bit "meh".
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    mrfpb said:

I am suprised at my own antipathy about this leadership contest. Normally I'm a politics nerd, but this is passing me by unnoticed. I think if Thornberry was still in contention, the debates would be worth watching, but these three are just a bit "meh".

Isn't it just that Labour is likely to select Keir Starmer and he is unlikely to inspire the electorate or the labour party itself? I think Lisa Nandy might spice things up a bit.
  • “I’m not saying ‘austerity is killing people’. I’m saying it’s highly likely” - Michael Marmot, Institute of Health Equity

Gains in UK life expectancy stall after decade of austerity, report says - is the headline.

The largest decreases in life expectancy were seen in the most deprived 10 per cent of neighbourhoods in the North East, and the largest increases in the least deprived 10 per cent of neighbourhoods in London.

These declines need not have happened, the report suggested. In 2010, public expenditure had amounted to 42 per cent of gross domestic product “and that’s now 35 per cent. And that’s a political decision,” Sir Michael said.

I think you could have another cause and effect debate? I know a little about this subject and it is far more nuanced than austerity.

Strange that Sir Michael did not go back another year to show that public expenditure has stayed the same.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm not here to argue his case, but I suspect he knows more than us.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020
    I can't read the article but presumably the logic is calling anyone who votes tory is a c*** isn't likely to win votes off people who currently vote tory.

What's the Tony Blair joke? "some local labour campaigners have come back very worried, complaining that our policies are popular with Tory voters".
  • I'm not here to argue his case, but I suspect he knows more than us.

maybe he does but he loses credibility by chosing spurious dates to grab headlines.

A slowdown in life expectancy gains is not particularly new and is not confinmed to the UK. Other potential causes are healthcare gains working their way through the system and a series of hot summers and cold winters.

As for post code analysis of life expectancy this is also not new and is criticsed for being a proxy for wealth which again could be argued to be a proxy for intelligence and that reflects lifestyle choices.

These arguments are actuarial and yes if you want to game the system then on your 65th birthday move to the west end of Glasgow and ask for an annuity quote, their chart will say youshould already be dead and make you a very decent offer.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,607
    Cold winters? Last time we had one of those I was still at school.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Yep. Yet to see snow this winter. At some point, Rick will probably post a link that blames it on austerity.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited February 2020

“I’m not saying ‘austerity is killing people’. I’m saying it’s highly likely” - Michael Marmot, Institute of Health Equity

I think you could have another cause and effect debate? I know a little about this subject and it is far more nuanced than austerity.

Strange that Sir Michael did not go back another year to show that public expenditure has stayed the same.
    How does RC, who regularly drops hints as to his intelligence get it so wrong every time?

Looks like this is, to quote Stevo, "LeftieBollox"

Quelle surprise
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    rjsterry said:

You were still at school January 2012? 😱

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/26679-britain-snow-satellite-image.html

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Yep. Yet to see snow this winter. At some point, Rick will probably post a link that blames it on austerity.
    I’m not. The head of the institute for health equality is.
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/26679-britain-snow-satellite-image.html

2012 wasn't that cold. I remember a night orienteering exercise in Wooton under Edge when it was -8C and frozen snow everywhere. It would be called off due to bad weather these days.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

How does RC, who regularly drops hints as to his intelligence get it so wrong every time?

Quelle surprise
    Sir Michael Marmot, the Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health at UCL, not RC the guy in recruitment on BR. I'm sure you can spot the difference.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I’m not. The head of the institute for health equality is.
    If he blamed the lack of snow on austerity then he's thicker than you.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,840
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

2012 wasn't that cold. I remember a night orienteering exercise in Wooton under Edge when it was -8C and frozen snow everywhere. It would be called off due to bad weather these days.
    I reckon it must have been January 1987, when I was living in an uninsulated cottage overlooking Dartmoor, when the indoor toilet froze over in the night, and the hot water tank imploded because of a burst water pipe. And we lit fires under tractors to unwax the diesel.
  • Stevo_666

Quelle surprise
    Chaseybollox could get it's own category soon ;)
  • rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

I think that was the season we had to dig our car out after a Lakeland day's walk. Then 3 hours of treacherous driving to get home. A normally sub 1 hour journey.

Or I think we had a couple of winters preceding that year where the winters were cold. -10°C where we live I think classes as a cold winter. Those years I had to take the train because driving was too dodgy at times.

On hellvellyn on a lovely winter day we were 5 minutes behind the fell top assessor. So we saw he recorded -13°C or -25°C factoring in wind windchill effects. About three 2010 period for a couple of winters we found covering up your face was a very good idea in the winter. Not nice frost nip. I used to have a photograph of me wrapped up. My face was covered by a thick, black, wind resistant buff with my softshell hood up too. My glasses covered the gaps. People were wearing ski goggles I noticed.

So 2012 RJS was at school I guess. Younger than I previously guessed. :)
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

I reckon it must have been January 1987, when I was living in an uninsulated cottage overlooking Dartmoor, when the indoor toilet froze over in the night, and the hot water tank imploded because of a burst water pipe. And we lit fires under tractors to unwax the diesel.
    The winter I'm thinking of must have been about 1993. I particularly recall using the outside toilet at the HQ of this event. We were also under canvas and had to keep the propane bottles for our stoves in our sleeping bags to stop them freezing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite