Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

Social care is means tested and recipients have to contribute where they have the income or assets to do so.

I believe you main asset in your house is excluded from this is it not.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Social care is means tested and recipients have to contribute where they have the income or assets to do so.

You might want to read this -
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/financial-assessment-means-test/
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

You might want to read this -
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/financial-assessment-means-test/
    There are exceptions where spouse or partner are still in there. Local council excluded the family house from my old dears assessment because I owned half (inherited from my old man).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Nope. You are required to sell it and give all but the last £23K to the local authority to fund your residential care. Many people don't realise this, or think it's all free, but it's not. What's more, the effective rate at which assets are taxed is such that people try to avoid it. A much lower rate that applies to everyone would raise more, be fairer and reduce the urge to avoid it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Nope. You are required to sell it and give all but the last £23K to the local authority to fund your residential care. Many people don't realise this, or think it's all free, but it's not. What's more, the effective rate at which assets are taxed is such that people try to avoid it. A much lower rate that applies to everyone would raise more, be fairer and reduce the urge to avoid it.
    May's 100k is looking pretty generous if you have to leave your house.
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

May's 100k is looking pretty generous if you have to leave your house.
    Well quite.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

You are wrong. You aren't forced to sell the property and give all bar £23k to the Local Authority. The LA has to disregard the property for the first 12 weeks in its assessment. Assuming other assets over the £23k, or after the 12 weeks, you become a self funder and have to work out the best way to pay for your care in the private sector, and only pay for as long as you need it. Ongoing nursing care is state funded, but the 'hotel' costs aren't.
    It is an area where advice on the funding options needs to be taken. The property could be rented out instead of sold for example. It doesn't have to mean the whole estate is used up paying for care if the funding advice is heeded, but if you just drawdown on the sale proceeds from the property or other assets, then living too long could mean very little left. Alternative you use a care needs annuity, sacrificing some of the estate to preserve the majority.

• rjsterry
    edited January 2020

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

You are wrong. You aren't forced to sell the property and give all bar £23k to the Local Authority. The LA has to disregard the property for the first 12 weeks in its assessment. Assuming other assets over the £23k, or after the 12 weeks, you become a self funder and have to work out the best way to pay for your care in the private sector, and only pay for as long as you need it. Ongoing nursing care is state funded, but the 'hotel' costs aren't.
    It is an area where advice on the funding options needs to be taken. The property could be rented out instead of sold for example. It doesn't have to mean the whole estate is used up paying for care if the funding advice is heeded, but if you just drawdown on the sale proceeds from the property or other assets, then living too long could mean very little left. Alternative you use a care needs annuity, sacrificing some of the estate to preserve the majority.

In my particular experience, renting the property would cover 16% of the care costs. I suspect similar applies for large swathes of notLondon. An annuity would similarly have to be extraordinarily generous to cover the care costs. So, not that I disagree with any of your points, but they aren't available for everyone. And bottom line is if you are a self funder you have to contribute one way or another.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    Don't compare a care needs annuity with a pension annuity. The rates are massively different. £100k purchase price would typically provide £20-25k pa increasing at 5% pa.

It was important to point out that you were very wrong in stating how self funders pay for their care.

Also key is to go and see a qualified financial adviser in long term care funding if ever involved in the process.
  • pblakeney
    £100k provides up to £25k PA? You’d break even in 4 years. Must get on this. I plan on living for another 40 years. 😂😂😂
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Don't compare a care needs annuity with a pension annuity. The rates are massively different. £100k purchase price would typically provide £20-25k pa increasing at 5% pa.

What's the catch? There has to be one at those rates.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Longshot said:

They're fully medically underwritten, and so based closer to individual life expectancy, plus consider the age that someone in care typically is.
  • Dorset_Boy
    pblakeney said:

£100k provides up to £25k PA? You’d break even in 4 years. Must get on this. I plan on living for another 40 years. 😂😂😂

And you wouldn't get such a rate because you wouldn't be needing care, and won't be the relevant age - the clue is in the name of the product, as I pointed out.
  • rjsterry

It was important to point out that you were very wrong in stating how self funders pay for their care.

Also key is to go and see a qualified financial adviser in long term care funding if ever involved in the process.

Granted I have oversimplified although having been through the process at short notice, opportunities for financial advice are not exactly thrust at you. You seem to know more than me about care annuities, but the pay out you've suggested is still only about half of what residential care costs in my experience.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

And you wouldn't get such a rate because you wouldn't be needing care, and won't be the relevant age - the clue is in the name of the product, as I pointed out.
    Poncified gambling. I’m gambling that I’ll live longer, they’re gambling I’ll peg it sooner. Be as well selling the house and using draw down. Amounts to about the same. And the circle is complete... 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Longshot said:

The catch is you die.

"The statistics show that the average length of stay in a single residential care home in England that ended in a service users’ death was around 26 months, although this statistic does not include any previous stays in other homes."

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-09-05/8937

Seems like a pretty good investment on the lender's part
  • rjsterry
    haydenm said:

Longshot said:

The catch is you die.

"The statistics show that the average length of stay in a single residential care home in England that ended in a service users’ death was around 26 months, although this statistic does not include any previous stays in other homes."

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-09-05/8937

Except that residential care costs are much higher than £20-25k per year.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Poncified gambling. I’m gambling that I’ll live longer, they’re gambling I’ll peg it sooner. Be as well selling the house and using draw down. Amounts to about the same. And the circle is complete... 😉
    It's a hedge like buying insurance. The opposite of a gamble.
  • Dorset_Boy
    rjsterry said:

haydenm said:

Longshot said:

The catch is you die.

Residential home costs are typically in the £36-55k pa region. Remember that all bills etc are included in the fees so the resident probably only needs £100 pw extra for other items. Then deduct State Pension and other pensions. If the shortfall is then say £30k pa buy a care needs annuity for that amount. I just used £100k purchase price as an example to demonstrate the return.
    If it was a property in the SE being sold then you'd still be left with a sizeable sum.

Also, the length of time in residential homes is around 9 years, in a nursing home it is around 18 months I think, hence the 26 month average figure quoted above.

Of course you could just put the cash in the bank and draw down on it, but there's no certainty or peace of mind that it won't run out. Then what?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Not if you view insurance as a gamble.
    I gamble it may happen, they gamble it won’t. The odds are reflected in the premium.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

haydenm said:

Longshot said:

The catch is you die.

Residential home costs are typically in the £36-55k pa region. Remember that all bills etc are included in the fees so the resident probably only needs £100 pw extra for other items. Then deduct State Pension and other pensions. If the shortfall is then say £30k pa buy a care needs annuity for that amount. I just used £100k purchase price as an example to demonstrate the return.
    If it was a property in the SE being sold then you'd still be left with a sizeable sum.

Also, the length of time in residential homes is around 9 years, in a nursing home it is around 18 months I think, hence the 26 month average figure quoted above.

Of course you could just put the cash in the bank and draw down on it, but there's no certainty or peace of mind that it won't run out. Then what?
    Undoubtedly it works in some situations, but far from all. There'll be plenty of people with assets above the threshold, but not enough to buy the annuity they need. Whatever means of funding the care is used, the original point was that the value of the home is not exempted when assessing whether someone must self-fund.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I gamble it may happen, they gamble it won’t. The odds are reflected in the premium.
    Not sure you know what a hedge is, mate.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Not sure you know what a hedge is, mate.
    Eggs not all in one basket. But eggs are eggs. Assumptions are made and risks assessed.
    Much like bookies. They allow hedge betting.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    What?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515

What?

I think he just showed why you were right in your assessment above.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean

What?

I suspect the argument is that everything is a gamble e.g. I gambled by not buying a lottery ticket. The problem with it is if everything is a gamble the word ceases to have any meaning. Therefore, it seemed like something not worth exploring much further.
  • pblakeney
    Kind of.
    In an annuity you are hoping you will live longer than expected while the issuer is hoping you don’t. Both are gambling that they will be correct.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

Kind of.
    In an annuity you are hoping you will live longer than expected while the issuer is hoping you don’t. Both are gambling that they will be correct.

In this case, you are buying nursing care for the rest of your life for a fixed price. No gamble, no need to worry about how long you live. A bit like if you buy a can of coke, you pay a fixed price. Another system might be where you pay double or nothing on a coin toss, but most people would see that as gambling - your argument is that by paying a fixed price you are gambling that you won't win the coin toss, and in my view it renders the word a bit meaningless.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

In this case, you are buying nursing care for the rest of your life for a fixed price.

This. I understand the desire to cost the annuity provider money by living for another 50 years but, ultimately, TBB's statement is accurate.

If you have time I guess you could shop around between providers to see if there's better rates available but otherwise the deal is one you're willing to partake in or not.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • pblakeney
    Yes, but the price you pay will be determined by the issuer based on how long they think you will live.
    1 Year, cheap; 10 years expensive.
    Veronese68 wrote: