2012 Campag Shamal Ultra Shimano, 11 Speed?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Does anyone know if the 2012 Campag Shamal Ultra with Shimano Freehub will take a Shimano 11 speed cassette? (or is it only 8/9/10?)

I can't see anything written on the freehub body, and the freehub body has a blue plastic ring at the bottom if that helps with identification. It doesn't have 11 speed written in the gap between two of the splines (I have seen this on newer Zonda shimano freehub bodies, so was wondering if this would have been written on this Shamal one too, so I am suspicious that it won't take 11 speed based on this hunch ).

Now, I also assume mine are 2012 as the rear says Mega G3 on it and I think this was introduced on the 2012 version (I purchased about then). Dura-ace 11 speed came out as the first shimano 11 speed groupset in 2012 I believe?

I have also read something which might hint that early 2012 shamal with shimano freehub bodies might not take 11 speed cassettes and later ones do, which might make sense if they had to make a change when the first 11 speed shimano came out during that year.

I suppose the final question is that if this freehub body won't take 11, can I buy one that will?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If the plastic ring is a removable spacer, then they are 11 speed... if it's only a feature of the freehub, then they are not
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    If you need the std 1mm shimano spacer PLUS the 1.8mm one for 10sp cassette on an 11sp FH, then thats your answer? but your wheels are the same year as my zero's and they are 10sp :(

You can buy a 11speed FH body, they are about £70 from somewhere like Totalcycling.
  • mfin
    The freehub I have isn't on the wheel at the moment, my campag freehub is. I don't think there was a thick spacer provided with wheel (bought as Shimano), so I guess it's 10 speed only. Also, I think it would have 11 speed written on it.

Are you sure the 11 speed shimano freehub body would fit?
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    so put an 11 speed campag cassette on the existing free hub and you are good to go.
    Colnago Addict!
  • mfin
    I already do that. I am looking at using high end Shimano/Sram 11 cassettes as they are much better value than high-end Campag ones.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    Chorus 11 speed is hardly 'low end" but last very well and I defy anyone to see a performance difference compared with R and SR cassettes. Chorus cost around £90, I use them on "high end" s-works tarmac and venge bikes with DA 9000 and Zipp firecrests and Roval CLX's.
    mfin wrote:
    I already do that. I am looking at using high end Shimano/Sram 11 cassettes as they are much better value than high-end Campag ones.
    Colnago Addict!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mfin wrote:
    The freehub I have isn't on the wheel at the moment, my campag freehub is. I don't think there was a thick spacer provided with wheel (bought as Shimano), so I guess it's 10 speed only. Also, I think it would have 11 speed written on it.

Are you sure the 11 speed shimano freehub body would fit?

I-ride told me the replacement 11sp F/H body is a straight swop and as the shamal is a Campag zero, it would be the same, ring I-Ride and ask?