Forum home Mountain biking forum Routes, rides and holidays Routes

Whinlatter Forest info required.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,852
edited May 2015 in Routes
Hi Folks, I'm off to whinlatter shortly whilst stopping at centre parcs and have managed a pass out from the missus and kids as long as I'm not away to long, so after a bit of info.
Is the car park locked overnight or accessible, so I can turn up early doors before the kids are up.
How long roughly to ride the full altura red trail, and also how long roughly for the blue quercus trail. I am reasonably fit as I do cannock and llandega pretty regular. Looking at the trail centre rather than off piste as want the luxury of not having to navigate in an area I'm not familiar with yet.
Your replies would be most welcome.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• kesterkester Posts: 79
    im unsure about whether the gates are locked overnight. I know the bike shop was raided a few years ago and there is now a barrier at main entrance, there is also a small car park about 1/2 mile before the main visitor centre which im fairly sure doesnt have any gates on. As for the trails the full red is about 13/14 miles so allow around upto two hours, as for the blue that would another 5 miles but i know there is alot of trail upgrading and tree felling on the blue section so there is diversions in place. Depending how old your kids are i would take them to the forrest aswell as there is a massive play area for kids and also a Gruffalo activity walk where at the end of it there is a large wooden carved Gruffalo they can have photos with. There is also a GoApe high ropes assualt course you could do as well if you did want to make a full day of it but can't remember prices, age restrictions etc. Have put the phone number for cyclewise shop so you can ask if gate is closed overnight 017687 78711
  • sniper68sniper68 Posts: 2,899
    There are three or four free car parks on the road up to to the Trailhead car park.The last one on the left,Rivelin Moss CP,is about 500yards from the main car park is free and open 24 hours.The last 200m or so of the South Loop(Red) passes next to this car park.
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    You can easily ride around the carport barrier out of open hours. I have done the red at night with no problems.
    The red is pretty straightforward, there's nothing technical. You should be able to do the red in two hours easily.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,852
    Thanks for the info folks, will make it easier for me to slope off leaving wife and kids early doors.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • oodboooodboo Posts: 2,177
    I sneaked away from centreparcs to ride my bike once, went up to Dalbeattie from Whinfell and really farked my shoot up by falling down the slab.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • I'm up there in a few weekends and was looking where to park. Last time we went we struggled to get parked in the visitor centre car park.

I found this on the FC's site about Revelin Moss Car Park.

Parking charges for Revelin Moss are as follows: 1 hour - 1.50, 2 hours - 2.80, 4 hours - 4.60, all day - 5.90.

Slightly cheaper than the VC car park.