Geometry sizing Q

jamie 'jammy dodger'
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Recently purchased a Giant talon 0...the bike comes 680/690 bars with a 110 stem +8 rise,frame is not very slack angled but want to know if a 720 bar with 70mm stem will work.

Only wanting to change has I prefer a wider bar in general (my fs has the above setup).

Many thanks J
Still can't wheelie :(

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Might do, might not. No one can tell you what will be comfortable for you.
    It depends on your body shape and riding position preferences.
    Is your FS bike the same size with similar geometry? If it is then it should end up feeling similar.
  • Cheers for reply.

My fs is a little slacker 17.5 frame,new bike size large 19.5...kind of thought personal preference will be the obvious route but I read a post once where shortening stem etc on a pretty standard angled frame could mess the geometry so thought id ask before trying.

On another note,noticed the lbs has given me a better spec tyre on new bike,should be schwable rapid rob but got racing ralphs..happy days
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nothing to do with the shop. Giant sometimes fit different components depending on stock.
    Do your bikes have similar length top tube?
  • Mister_g
    Mister_g Posts: 55
    A shorter stem (50mm) worked for me on a Talon 1. I didn't find a dramatic difference between the original 90mm stem and a 70mm (better, but not worth shouting about). Going to 50mm made a huge difference. I haven't changed the stock bars. YMMV.
  • Rockmonkey...cheers..My HT is approx 1 1/2 longer but with 100mm travel where my FS has 130mm.

Mister g..nice one,loving the talon frame..plus,far lighter & stiffer than I imagined..have you rode any xc with yours yet?

Cheers J
  • Mister_g
    ...have you rode any xc with yours yet?

About 750 miles total, so far (including trail centre stuff). I really like the bike.
  • Quality,how does the ride at trail centres feel? Not had chance to ride anything aggressive as yet.
  • Mister_g
    The bike can cope with much more than I can! With the shorter stem, semi metallic brake pads to give a bit more bite (Nukeproof Enduro), and some decent, grippy, tyres (WTB Vigilante 2.3 run tubeless) it feels very solid and confidence inspiring. (Mine has the Rockshox air fork, not the Fox).

(On the minus side, the spokes were very slack and I needed to tighten them twice, but now OK; the bottom bracket lasted ~500 miles / 6 months, and I think the free-hub is on its way out, but I don't think riding it through the winter & hosing it down helped either of those.)

Get out on it, I'm sure you'll have a blast :)
  • Nice to hear it can take a beating,going to see how the schwables hold out (preferred tyre Conti trail king 2.4 front 2.25 rear)..Will be changing various stock parts around Xmas when "bike cash" replenished,Hope tech fanboy.

Many thanks for replies B-) J
  • rockmonkeysc
    Rockmonkey...cheers..My HT is approx 1 1/2 longer but with 100mm travel where my FS has 130mm.

Amount of suspension has absolutely nothing to do with it. If your FS bike is comfortable the aim for a similar riding position on your hardtail.
  • Shall give a try,cheers.

Just out of curiosity,never paid much attention to grips other than what I like the look of,lizard skins are nice...Q being is there really any required style (xc,dh,fr) & noticeable difference between brands?
  • Mister_g
    ...going to see how the schwables hold out

The ones that came on mine (wire bead Rocket Ron) were fine unless I went within 10 miles of a thorn bush or anywhere even slightly damp...
  • My Fs came with rocket rons,soaked up thorns like a sponge..no fun!!

Had a ride tonight on road/xc...they were fine,fast rolling on road..grippy on light xc but no confidence gained at speed off road.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Go for whatever grips are comfortable. I use ODI Ruffians on my DH and XC bike