BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• I'd say that using it as a stepping stone sounded a good idea, and with what we know now, I'd definitely say yes. I'd go further and say that now I'd say it would have been a good idea to join with no long term ambition to leave the SM, and only to leave if circumstances made it intolerable to be in without any way to affect the rules.

This is different to before we left, when I thought there was no way we could ever just take the rules. I now think it could have been more nuanced.
  • I think we've messed it up royally now so the conditions of joining probably would make it very difficult.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920

I think we've messed it up royally now so the conditions of joining probably would make it very difficult.

Indeed. I suspect that there would be great reluctance on the EU's part, and they'd want to know what we'd be bringing to the party, and whether we'd be pulling doors off hinges and vomiting on the carpet. Again.

Still, there's no harm in having aspirations while you try to get rid of the smell of the vomit.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633

I'd say that using it as a stepping stone sounded a good idea, and with what we know now, I'd definitely say yes. I'd go further and say that now I'd say it would have been a good idea to join with no long term ambition to leave the SM, and only to leave if circumstances made it intolerable to be in without any way to affect the rules.

This is different to before we left, when I thought there was no way we could ever just take the rules. I now think it could have been more nuanced.

I don't think it would have been right move in hindsight.

Firstly, if there was an intent to use it as a stepping stone, then nothing would have been agreed about the next step until the last minute, so it would have meant years of limbo.

Secondly, if it had been used as a final destination, then I think the EU would have expected budgetary contributions as well as far more fish than Norway and Iceland enjoy. When combined with the rule taking and the likely very free movement of people, I think it would have been seen as BRINO, and rejected by the electorate. Whilst some people may be happy to potentially deceive the electorate, I think it would have damaged the country for a number of years and would have been far worse than the current situation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    edited December 2021
    Sorry how is staying part of SM and CU deceiving the electorate?

It was the premise of the entire referendum.
  • TheBigBean

I'm not going on that merry-go-round.

As I said, your opinion is unchanged.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2021
    No I mean it. You cannot say that staying in SM and CU is deceiving the electorate.

That is utter nonsense, and is incendiary given what has actually happened.

That’s not opinion, that’s fact.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    I think he means the things we'd have to give away (free movement etc) to stay in SM and CU would lead to people feeling deceived.

It's an issue of things being overpromised by leave.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

No I mean it. You cannot say that staying in SM and CU is deceiving the electorate.

That is utter nonsense, and is incendiary given what has actually happened.

That’s not opinion, that’s fact.

You are forgetting for many "out means out" and they have zero interest in the economy. A blue passport maybe but not the economy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

I think he means the things we'd have to give away (free movement etc) to stay in SM and CU would lead to people feeling deceived.

Leave were not promising this
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Leave were not promising this
    I mean, you're agreeing with me...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Nah they weren’t “overpromising” they talked about not leaving the SM, saying UK would be like Norway and the discussion was around “rule taking” from Brussels.

Go check out the thread.
  • pangolin

Nah they weren’t “overpromising” they talked about not leaving the SM, saying UK would be like Norway and the discussion was around “rule taking” from Brussels.

Go check out the thread.

You don't think leave were unrealistic about the deal we'd end up with? Intentionally or otherwise.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Nah. I think over time the revolutionaries took hold and followed the usual revolutionary pattern of things never being pure enough.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921

Everything's fine. Rees-Smug has spoken.

What do they put in the water in North East Somerset?
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

Everything's fine. Rees-Smug has spoken.

What do they put in the water in North East Somerset?

Sheep p1ss.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    edited December 2021

The Brexit debate was quite fun but it's more fun now we have some actual evidence, as before it was theoretical and now it's not. Only, I feel like since Jan 2020 one side of the forum has given up the fight, which is a shame.

I have endless capacity for disagreement as you well know, but genuinely the exercise of having to prove your case I found really helped my understanding of what it actually was that mattered and didn't.

Most have realised the pointlessness of it as the remainers when held to their short term forecasts mainly got it wrong albeit by over egging the pudding but have yet to admit it.
  • rick_chasey
    But the forecasts were accurate?

I posted those 2019 charts from Chris Giles that showed they were bang on.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,524
    edited December 2021

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit is done. If it helps the more compartmentalising tendencies of some posters, think of this thread as a discussion of our ongoing relationship with the EU, which changes again on 1st Jan.

That seems like something sensible to discuss. Not sure if it accounts for the majority of the discussion though.
    Maybe a new thread is needed.

Most of the discussion here is along the lines of 'we think its bad and we should either never have left, or should rejoin'. Which is a bit pointless as one is impossible without time travel and the possibility of the other is so far in the future we may as well get on with other more relevant things.
    The only person in this thread who mentions rejoining is you
    Wrong. Others have mentioned it in the past.
    Ifeel like I am walking into a trap but could you give examples in the last 6 months or name the Rejoiners
    Courtesy of an exchange with Mr Trumpet last year:
    Stevo_666 said:
    Show previous quotes
    Let it go loon, the fight is over :)

Why? The Brexit people haven't stopped whingeing virtually since the day we joined the EEC. Paid off in the end, didn't it? (Well, maybe not in the economic sense, but hey, what does that matter?) You'd best get used to 40 years of Brejoin.

I can't see that that's a ridiculous aspiration, even if I think it extremely unlikely. In the meantime, as RC says, finding a way back into the Single Market and Customs Union (which the Brexiters told us it would be silly to leave) would be a more practical project, even if it takes a long time.

I've no idea why you keep on coming in the thread if you find it boring. I'm sure you can keep yourself amused elsewhere. But if you want to keep on coming back and saying it's boring, it'll make sure the thread keeps going.
    Sometimes I feel I'm doing people a service whem I tell them to stop wasting their time. But if you can't see that, I'll leave your and the other unreconciled remainers to your little self help group ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brexit is done. If it helps the more compartmentalising tendencies of some posters, think of this thread as a discussion of our ongoing relationship with the EU, which changes again on 1st Jan.

That seems like something sensible to discuss. Not sure if it accounts for the majority of the discussion though.

Most of the discussion here is along the lines of 'we think its bad and we should either never have left, or should rejoin'. Which is a bit pointless as one is impossible without time travel and the possibility of the other is so far in the future we may as well get on with other more relevant things.
    Ifeel like I am walking into a trap but could you give examples in the last 6 months or name the Rejoiners
    Stevo_666 said:
    Show previous quotes

Why? The Brexit people haven't stopped whingeing virtually since the day we joined the EEC. Paid off in the end, didn't it? (Well, maybe not in the economic sense, but hey, what does that matter?) You'd best get used to 40 years of Brejoin.

I can't see that that's a ridiculous aspiration, even if I think it extremely unlikely. In the meantime, as RC says, finding a way back into the Single Market and Customs Union (which the Brexiters told us it would be silly to leave) would be a more practical project, even if it takes a long time.

I've no idea why you keep on coming in the thread if you find it boring. I'm sure you can keep yourself amused elsewhere. But if you want to keep on coming back and saying it's boring, it'll make sure the thread keeps going.
    Sometimes I feel I'm doing people a service whem I tell them to stop wasting their time. But if you can't see that, I'll leave your and the other unreconciled remainers to your little self help group ;)
    OK. See you next month 😘
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sorry how is staying part of SM and CU deceiving the electorate?

He's right. Literally everyone said we wouldn't leave them.
  • Thinking of going on the cars thread to say how boring driving is.
  • briantrumpet

Thinking of going on the cars thread to say how boring driving is.

It is. It's why I started the thread :)
  • TheBigBean

I see what you did there. Still not joining the merry go round.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,524
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Show previous quotes

OK. See you next month 😘
    Well if you're still moaning and whinging then, you might need another reminder :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    edited December 2021

I remember feeling like I was swimming against the tide before the vote saying that if we left the EU we wouldn't stay in the sm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Show previous quotes

OK. See you next month 😘
    Well if you're still moaning and whinging then, you might need another reminder :smiley:
    Back so soon?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

I remember feeling like I was swimming against the tide before the vote saying that if we left the EU we wouldn't stay in the sm.
    You were as the entire ref discourse was Norway etc.

Go watch the old question times and the debates. Seriously.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    edited December 2021

You may have been swimming against the tide but you weren't alone.
    One of my posts from March 2017.
    pblakeney said:

"Burnaston made about 180,000 vehicles last year, most of which are exported to Europe and other markets.
    Johan van Zyl, chief executive of Toyota Motor Europe, said the investment showed that the company was doing all it could to make Burnaston more competitive.
    However, he warned: "Continued tariff-and-barrier free market access between the UK and Europe that is predictable and uncomplicated will be vital for future success."
    Only if you are optimistic about the trade deals.
    Which Westminster haven't even bothered to think about yet. Two years? :lol::lol::lol:

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.