BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    From the speech Starner made yesterday- under the theme of 'Make Brexit Work'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,870
    I think Boris had something similar in his speach regarding pigs?
  • mully79 said:

Brexiters wanted a change to the political system. it certainly wont happen overnight.

That's the part that has happened already.
  • mully79 said:

Brexiters wanted a change to the political system. it certainly wont happen overnight. Current politicians and remainers still seem to think the vote was about Europe and illegal immigrants.

And that is why their should be an intelligence test before people are given the vote.

I utterly despair that somebody unhappy with their life would decide that could be rectified by changing the political system and that the people to do that just happen to be a bunch of old etonians.

I am pleased to say that inflation does not spare the poor so the dumb fvcks will reap what they sowed. And assuming they are more dependent upon the state than the average person they will be pleased to know that they have cost the Govt circa £40bn in lost revenues, Chuck in the actual cost of getting Brexit done and they have an easy answer for why there is not enough money to chuck around.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Don't think it is a vote winner though and goes against his more sensible policy of staying clear of all things Brexit. Still, he is safe though, his speech won't get any news coverage because everyone is busy laughing at Peppa Pig references.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It's exactly what the CBI wants to hear though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

mully79 said:

Brexiters wanted a change to the political system. it certainly wont happen overnight. Current politicians and remainers still seem to think the vote was about Europe and illegal immigrants.

And that is why their should be an intelligence test before people are given the vote.

I utterly despair that somebody unhappy with their life would decide that could be rectified by changing the political system and that the people to do that just happen to be a bunch of old etonians.

I am pleased to say that inflation does not spare the poor so the dumb fvcks will reap what they sowed. And assuming they are more dependent upon the state than the average person they will be pleased to know that they have cost the Govt circa £40bn in lost revenues, Chuck in the actual cost of getting Brexit done and they have an easy answer for why there is not enough money to chuck around.
    savage
  • Jezyboy
    I think it gives an overall impression of being serious, which may well become a vote winner, but is boring enough that any attack lines around him being a rabid remainer won't really stick.
  • tailwindhome

Don't think it is a vote winner though and goes against his more sensible policy of staying clear of all things Brexit. Still, he is safe though, his speech won't get any news coverage because everyone is busy laughing at Peppa Pig references.
    What is a vote winner?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598

What is a vote winner?

Here, have some free government money.
    Wilfully ignoring that it comes from taxes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    pblakeney said:

What is a vote winner?

Didn't work for Corbyn and free broadband...

• Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

What is a vote winner?

Corbyn made the mistake of saying he was going to put up taxes to pay for it

Boris's free stuff came with no bill attached
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

What is a vote winner?

So long as you ignore the NI hike.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

What is a vote winner?

He specifically promised not to do that.
  • TheBigBean

What is a vote winner?

Sleaze was hitting home. Anything that appears unfair, so Tories looking after Tories e.g. care homes. Not spending enough on the NHS and education is probably another.

What doesn't work is banging on about Brexit or Boris inappropriately mentioning Peppa Pig.
  • tailwindhome
    edited November 2021

What is a vote winner?

Sleaze was hitting home. Anything that appears unfair, so Tories looking after Tories e.g. care homes. Not spending enough on the NHS and education is probably another.

What doesn't work is banging on about Brexit or Boris inappropriately mentioning Peppa Pig.
    So how does an opposition attack the government on issues caused by Brexit or put forward an alternative* vision of post Brexit Britain?

Or highlight that the thing that Boris was elected to get done is not in fact done

Do they just not?

*Obviously I'm being generous here by suggesting this Gov has a vision
  • tailwindhome
    rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

What is a vote winner?

Was free stuff in the manifesto that got Boris elected
  • tailwindhome
    edited November 2021
    I'm still not clear that the sovereignty to decide our own 'sausage' rules is more important than the ability to buy and sell 'sausages' in 31 countries, worth sacrificing our 'sausage' industries for or having a 'sausage' border in the British Isles
  • TheBigBean

What is a vote winner?

So how does an opposition attack the government on issues caused by Brexit or put forward an alternative* vision of post Brexit Britain?

Do they just not?

I think they don't unless competence and not being sleazy would lead to an obvious solution. Saying that Brexit was a mistake won't win seats.

• From the speech Starner made yesterday- under the theme of 'Make Brexit Work'

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

I think they don't unless competence and not being sleazy would lead to an obvious solution. Saying that Brexit was a mistake won't win seats.

I thought Starmer was proposing how he would make Brexit work better

Bigger, Better, Brexit

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Bigger, Better, Brexit
    Easy to paint it as a remoaner wanting to start to unwind Brexit and accepting EU rules. Slippery slope.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

What is a vote winner?

Saying what the masses want to hear and then blaming someone else when you can't deliver so that they seemingly never work out it is your fault.

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Bigger, Better, Brexit
    Easy to paint it as a remoaner wanting to start to unwind Brexit and accepting EU rules. Slippery slope.
    I honestly do not think that the majority of people care that much or understand it that much. By saying nothing he allows the Tories to fill the void by claiming he was to rejoin
  • Jezyboy

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Bigger, Better, Brexit
    Meh, he can go for words to the effect of this being about making sure we draw a line under brexit and providing a stable starting point for our continuing relationship with the EU.

Then maybe trying to reframe the argument as between wreckers and builders. Boris and his cronies haven't just failed to deliver a brexit that draws a line under the concept, they have wrecked the relationship with Brussels. He's a builder and will build a new relationship with the EU as us being an independent country.
  • rick_chasey
    Starmer does not have it. If labour had balls they'd bin him off in the next 12 months and put someone electable in charge.

It would help that when people like Starmer say they want to help firms to make profits that party members don't go apoplectic.
  • TheBigBean

Starmer does not have it. If labour had balls they'd bin him off in the next 12 months and put someone electable in charge.

It would help that when people like Starmer say they want to help firms to make profits that party members don't go apoplectic.

Who would you replace him with?
  • rick_chasey

Cummings seems to think Jess Philipps is electable and I think he might have a point
  • TheBigBean

Cummings seems to think Jess Philipps is electable and I think he might have a point
    This surprised me, so I googled and found a tweet where he says she is too London centric. He thinks Labour needs a woman from the midlands. More like Nandy.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah possibly. TBH I don't know the labour bench well.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

What is a vote winner?

Or highlight that the thing that Boris was elected to get done is not in fact done

Do they just not?

The answer is that it is very difficult to go to the electorate and be pro remain. The reason for this is essentially the flip of Brexit. We have left and therefore anything significantly less hard than what we currently have will come with conditions you can't get enough people to vote for.

If you transported kier into number ten at best he would spend a couple of months giving ground to individual or group EU nations for little to nothing in return based on his current rhetoric and a significant percentage of the population know this. Essentially Brexit is done and it is a management job of being seen to act in the best interests of the UK as after all it is this group that elects you.