BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    ddraver said:

It is a genuine insight into the difference between ideology and negotiating position to see where Michel Barnier has gone since the brexit negotiations...

(if anyone needs my questionable translation.

I will introduce a mandatory 6 month military service for you young people. It will be served in the army, the police, fire or ambulance service or for the French "red cross")
    I don't see that as inconsistent with his Brexit negotiations. He was always authoritative and keen for rigid rules and wanting a return of national service seems consistent with that. He also played politics a lot during the Brexit negotiations.

However, he has made some statements about wanting more from the EU that do seem inconsistent.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

Are the overall numbers up, or are they now coming via a more dangerous route because that's the option left?
    Asylum applications

The number of asylum applications to the UK peaked in 2002 at 84,132. After that the number fell sharply to reach a twenty-year low point of 17,916 in 2010, before rising again to reach 35,737 in 2019.

The number of applications fell slightly to 29,456 applications in 2020, as the combined result of far fewer arrivals by air and an increase in arrivals by small boat across the English Channel.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01403/
    Have a look at the whole twitter thread (not posting it all, no point)

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Are the overall numbers up, or are they now coming via a more dangerous route because that's the option left?
    Asylum applications

The number of asylum applications to the UK peaked in 2002 at 84,132. After that the number fell sharply to reach a twenty-year low point of 17,916 in 2010, before rising again to reach 35,737 in 2019.

The number of applications fell slightly to 29,456 applications in 2020, as the combined result of far fewer arrivals by air and an increase in arrivals by small boat across the English Channel.

Perhaps you could provide a summary. Twitter doesn't like my phone at the moment.
  • Are the overall numbers up, or are they now coming via a more dangerous route because that's the option left?
    Asylum applications

So it feels like Brexit has had little impact either way. People still want to come here, but the enforcement efforts on previous routes have made it more visible and dangerous.

No simple answer is there?
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

Asylum applications

Perhaps you could provide a summary. Twitter doesn't like my phone at the moment.
    Erm...not easily.

tl:dr of the thread is that there isn't really "crisis"

But the graphs are interesting in and of themselves.
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's going to rumble on until we rejoin mate...

I hope you're a very patient man...
    It's a virtue isn't it?
    It is. Just saying you'll need to be as it is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon IMO.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

It is a reminder that the realities of geography and geopolitics are inescapable.

UK is in Europe. It can’t just ignore the EU.

Dont think we're ignoring it, but that's different from rejoining it. Which most people will admit is unlikely o happen anytime soon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean

Asylum applications

So it feels like Brexit has had little impact either way. People still want to come here, but the enforcement efforts on previous routes have made it more visible and dangerous.

No simple answer is there?
    I didn't provide post Brexit stats, so they could have changed, but I doubt signigicantly.

The boat crossings started as a result of additional security at the ports.

There is no simple answer. There never has been. Australia found one answer, but it involved highly questionable tactics.

• Stevo_666
    Oh, and I do like the new thread title. Think Goo must be able to read my mind :)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    Stevo_666 said:

Oh, and I do like the new thread title. Think Goo must be able to read my mind :)

It's not going to go away just because you're bored with it. Britain's relationship with the continent has been evolving for centuries, and will continue to do so long after we are all dead (along with Cake Stop, probably).

Some of us might choose to stay engaged with how that relationship evolves, maybe in the hope of undoing the recent damage, sometime in the future.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's a virtue isn't it?
    It is. Just saying you'll need to be as it is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon IMO.
    It won't happen at all, I can't see any time where we would be allowed to rejoin with all the benefits we had previously and if membership then was seen as unacceptable it would take a huge change from the EU to be acceptable in the future.

We just have to get on with it, that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it. Hopefully somewhere along the line we'll have a Government that realises our negotiations are like playing poker with a pair of twos and that all the other players know that's all we have.
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2021

Stevo_666 said:

It's not going to go away just because you're bored with it. Britain's relationship with the continent has been evolving for centuries, and will continue to do so long after we are all dead (along with Cake Stop, probably).

Some of us might choose to stay engaged with how that relationship evolves, maybe in the hope of undoing the recent damage, sometime in the future.
    And we're not going to rejoin just because you want to.

The debate might rumble on, but rejoining is highly unlikely in the foreseeable future. Better direct your energy into something that you might have a chance of changing.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's a virtue isn't it?
    It won't happen at all, I can't see any time where we would be allowed to rejoin with all the benefits we had previously and if membership then was seen as unacceptable it would take a huge change from the EU to be acceptable in the future.

We just have to get on with it, that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it. Hopefully somewhere along the line we'll have a Government that realises our negotiations are like playing poker with a pair of twos and that all the other players know that's all we have.
    The EU conditions for new joiners - adoption of the Euro, free movement etc are not exactly going to be popular with the UK electorate.

And I'm not sure the EU would want a trouble maker (from their point of view) like the UK back.

Hence the thread title is very appropriate.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    The NI Protocol will never be resolved.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Yes. And it will for a considerable period of time.
    The process that is, so therefore this thread too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    Stevo_666 said:

So why are you trying to start an argument about it?
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Stevo_666 said:

It is a reminder that the realities of geography and geopolitics are inescapable.

UK is in Europe. It can’t just ignore the EU.

Dont think we're ignoring it, but that's different from rejoining it. Which most people will admit is unlikely o happen anytime soon.
    But Brexit is about the relationship with the EU. It will never go away. Not least in Northern Ireland where the gravity of needing a border somewhere will always work against the premise of the GFS compromise.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's a virtue isn't it?

The EU conditions for new joiners - adoption of the Euro, free movement etc are not exactly going to be popular with the UK electorate.

And I'm not sure the EU would want a trouble maker (from their point of view) like the UK back.

The emoji suggests that the OP is surprised and disappointed that Brexit is not over
  • rick_chasey
    Might wanna tell be bbc you’re bored with it too

• ddraver

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's a virtue isn't it?

The emoji suggests that the OP is surprised and disappointed that Brexit is not over
    One suspects if it was going swimmingly, the OP would be less surprised or disappointed
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean

Might wanna tell be bbc you’re bored with it too

The article misrepresents the numbers returned under the Dublin agreement.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/what-is-the-dublin-iii-regulation-will-it-be-affected-by-brexit/

How many incoming and outgoing transfers are there under Dublin III?

According to Home Office figures, between 2015 and 2018, 7,365 incoming requests were made to transfer people into the UK under the Dublin regulation, from which 2,365 people were transferred to the UK (some requests may still be pending).

This means that the UK accepted around 33% of requests. During the same period, the UK made 18,953 outgoing requests to transfer people to other Member States, from which 1,395 people were transferred abroad. This amounts to around 7% of outgoing requests by the UK resulting in a transfer.

In 2018, the UK received a total of 37,453 asylum applications, and made 5,510 outgoing transfer requests under Dublin III. Of these 5,510 requests, 209 migrants were transferred out of the UK under Dublin III, whilst 1,215 came in, making the UK a net recipient in 2018.
  • Brexit is done.

What we have is the new chosen reality.

It's a bit unrealistic to expect to complete the tidy unravelling of 50 years of trade policy and relationships within a year, especially so if you expected it to be immediately more straightforward.

Triply so if you expected to resolve "there needs to be a border, but it can't be in either of the places it could be".
  • ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's a virtue isn't it?

One suspects if it was going swimmingly, the OP would be less surprised or disappointed
    I guess my point is that after 40 years of economic integration it was not feasible for our exit to be either quick or painless. Whilst it could have been less worse it was always going to soak up several years of govt effort and have a negative impact on many businesses and individuals.

This is why i have sympathy both with Theresa May and the notion that a Brexiteer needed to be PM to get it done. Whoever was in charge was going to peel back the onion and as they revealed each new level of stupidity they would have got cold feet.
  • TheBigBean

Triply so if you expected to resolve "there needs to be a border, but it can't be in either of the places it could be".

There doesn't need to be the sort of border everyone imagines.

• Triply so if you expected to resolve "there needs to be a border, but it can't be in either of the places it could be".

If it was easy it would not be a problem.
  • rick_chasey

This is brexiter fantasy chat.
  • TheBigBean

I've been fairly consistent on this and every month the agreed position seems to move one step closer to it.
  • tailwindhome

I've been fairly consistent on this and every month the agreed position seems to move one step closer to it.
    Why do you think that?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

So why are you trying to start an argument about it?
    Distraction. Transparent
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

This is brexiter fantasy chat.
    It is only the EUs rigid stupidity that results in a border somewhere either in the Irish sea or on Ireland. The gfa gives those in Ireland the right to free movement across the Irish border anyway. All checks on illegals can therefore be done on entry to Ireland or the UK as they do currently. Once on Ireland simple spot checks remove the illegals. This is the uniques aspect to Ireland that is not common.

Goods are even easier with essentially audits of businesses. Those that fail to cply with the law get caught and go bust with fines. The failure of the EU to allow this is just a power play to try to boost trade within Ireland and reunify it. Their plan might work if there was not the reverse of the IRA still in Northern Ireland.