BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    lets face it those "show me one tangible benifit not being in the EU has brought" should be well and truly put to bed now. unless of course access to a particular brand of shorts is more important than 300million early doses of vaccine.

i think that might be a good time for Farage to walk on stage left say " brexit got the vaccine for us" drop the mike and exit stage right.

or as you youngsters say when youre high fiving yourselves and congratulating yourselves for being millenials. BOOOOM

Even in your worlds where facts are less important than emotions.

SHAAAAAADE

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

as a result of brexit were all going to have employment rights stripped away, raw sewage will be pumped into the sea, and union carbide will be responsible for water quality, prisons will all be handed over to AMerican prison services and the NHS will be sold off. were going to get rampant inflation and our wages will fall to thirdworld standards.

Seriously instead of looking for fault either real or hypothetical wouldnt it be healthier to look to the future and make it great? I might be in a small minority here abouts.

Its all about those nasty countries that we might do trade deals with, as opposed to the nice cuddly EU :)

See my example on animal welfare above btw
    Well no. It's not about nasty countries at all. It's about a complete lack of trust in our own government due to their lying and bungling over the last 4 years.
    Try reading some of the previous arguments on here about doing trade deals with other countries. All of them were going to harm us in some way or be worthless because they were not with the EU. Especially the USA, although this may have changed slightly now Trump is no longer president.
    There were concerns over Trump and rightly so (imo), but trade deals need to be agreed by our side and we just don't trust our side to put the country's best interested at heart over, well lining their own and their mates pockets.

Why? Well i think the way COVID contracts and jobs were handed out has demonstrated this quite clearly.
    i think the way covid contracts have been handed out is working quite well. I guess you prefer the EU way. without vaccine.

Forget about the vaccines for a minute and look at PPE and test and trace.
    no lets not forget about the massive success. thats just yes but whataboutery.
    Well no. If they hadn't let the virus run away like they did, the need for a vaccine would be much less.

One success does not negate the nepotism and incompetence that went before it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • (except we could have done exactly the same if we were in the EU.)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    Wasn't it pointed out when the Govt claimed this as a Brexit success that we could have gone down the same route even if we were in the EU? i.e. other EU countries could have done the same, but chose to take part in the EU approval/purchase scheme instead?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-vaccine-brexit/

OUR VERDICT
    This is not correct. Under European law, the UK was permitted to act independently to approve the vaccine in an emergency.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    edited January 2021
    david37 said:

lets face it those "show me one tangible benifit not being in the EU has brought" should be well and truly put to bed now. unless of course access to a particular brand of shorts is more important than 300million early doses of vaccine.

i think that might be a good time for Farage to walk on stage left say " brexit got the vaccine for us" drop the mike and exit stage right.

or as you youngsters say when youre high fiving yourselves and congratulating yourselves for being millenials. BOOOOM

SHAAAAAADE

100,000 dead, so far

...drops mic...

oh, and facts are more important than emotions
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    ...and expected to hit 150,000 deaths before this is over*

*For now.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Being fair, it was brexit that meant we had an agency sat around with nothing to do, and it's likely we wouldn't have gone our own way if we were in the EU.

BUT... In the alternative world where we were in the EU, our Great British scientists would have been part of the EU agency, and it might have been different for the EU. As someone likes to say, we'll never know.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610

Being fair, it was brexit that meant we had an agency sat around with nothing to do, and it's likely we wouldn't have gone our own way if we were in the EU.

BUT... In the alternative world where we were in the EU, our Great British scientists would have been part of the EU agency, and it might have been different for the EU. As someone likes to say, we'll never know.

Obviously entirely hypothetical, but I think it would have been the same if the UK was in the EU. The EU vaccine programme wasn't a great option for the UK, so I can't see how being in the EU would have mattered and made the UK sign up.

The only tiny difference I can see is that the EMA wouldn't have lost so many employees due to its move.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,413
    elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

as a result of brexit were all going to have employment rights stripped away, raw sewage will be pumped into the sea, and union carbide will be responsible for water quality, prisons will all be handed over to AMerican prison services and the NHS will be sold off. were going to get rampant inflation and our wages will fall to thirdworld standards.

Seriously instead of looking for fault either real or hypothetical wouldnt it be healthier to look to the future and make it great? I might be in a small minority here abouts.

Its all about those nasty countries that we might do trade deals with, as opposed to the nice cuddly EU :)

Well no. It's not about nasty countries at all. It's about a complete lack of trust in our own government due to their lying and bungling over the last 4 years.
    Try reading some of the previous arguments on here about doing trade deals with other countries. All of them were going to harm us in some way or be worthless because they were not with the EU. Especially the USA, although this may have changed slightly now Trump is no longer president.
    There were concerns over Trump and rightly so (imo), but trade deals need to be agreed by our side and we just don't trust our side to put the country's best interested at heart over, well lining their own and their mates pockets.

Why? Well i think the way COVID contracts and jobs were handed out has demonstrated this quite clearly.
    i think the way covid contracts have been handed out is working quite well. I guess you prefer the EU way. without vaccine.

Well no. If they hadn't let the virus run away like they did, the need for a vaccine would be much less.

The bit I've bolded is utter horseshite.
    The need for a vaccine is no different.
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Don't see New Zealand, South Korea or Australia crying out for a vaccine.

At the time, the government were telling us that the key to defeating the virus was an effective test and trace system. They ignored systems that worked elsewhere to give billions to their mates companies, they put their mates wife in charge of the programme and fecked it up.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

At the time, the government were telling us that the key to defeating the virus was an effective test and trace system. They ignored systems that worked elsewhere to give billions to their mates companies, they put their mates wife in charge of the programme and fecked it up.
    Oddly those places have the opposite problem, they need everyone else to hurry up and get vaccinated.

At some point the balance shifts for us too, there's no point us vaccinating our whole country if it's still rampant on the continent.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Of course they are.
    https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines

That Asian boss video from last march had him saying that vaccines were important.
  • david37
    Were not in new zealand are we though? It doesnt look anything like the uk. Accept it, you naysayers are a busted flush. Go away and lick your wounds.

The acquisition of vaccine is a massive success.
  • elbowloh
    No one has disputed that we've done well with the vaccine, but if you score a stunning overhead kick, and score 5 own goals, you don't win the match.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,413
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Well a vaccine programme for Aus & NZ isn't needed if they plan to remain isolated from the rest of the world for ever more and have zero tourist trade.
  • david37 said:

Were not in new zealand are we though? It doesnt look anything like the uk. Accept it, you naysayers are a busted flush. Go away and lick your wounds.

The acquisition of vaccine is a massive success.

It's turned out to be an advantage of not having to do everything within the EU structures. But not of brexit. It's not that complicated.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Should make for good copy in the European press when the truck loads of vaccine are held up by the fastidious Dutch customs to check the contents of the drivers' sandwiches and carry out a thorough search of the cargo for an errant slice of ham with a jocular, "Welcome to Brexit, sir" ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

Not sure you'll find many youngsters or millennials posting on here.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

Millennials are under 40 and over 25.....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,152
    CS is Centrist Dad Central, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231

Pross said:

david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

OK so there might be 2 or 3 of you. Makes me feel ancient that 40 year olds grew up in the millennium!
  • Age checks for buying booze in the USA currently pretty straightforward - does the birth year on the ID start with a 1?
  • pangolin
    Pross said:

Pross said:

david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

OK so there might be 2 or 3 of you. Makes me feel ancient that 40 year olds grew up in the millennium!
    It's great being a millennial. Rick and I are constantly high fiving and shouting BOOM at each other.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

It's great being a millennial. Rick and I are constantly high fiving and shouting BOOM at each other.
    Plus not giving a feck and attending illegal lockdown raves.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

I know youre a millenial. the wet handwringing always right attitude and need for lots of friends and constant approval screams of it
  • pangolin
    david37 said:

pangolin said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

I know youre a millenial. the wet handwringing always right attitude and need for lots of friends and constant approval screams of it
    I can see why you want to move the conversation on from your embarrassingly incorrect post at the top of this page.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    david37 said:

pangolin said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

david37 said:

SHAAAAAADE

whereas you present yourself as an ill-informed, bigoted and unpleasant individual who revels in others' misfortune

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Typical Boomer...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777
    ddraver said:

Typical Boomer...

Is that directed at SG? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]