BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

I think the EU deal is worth including...

Japan wasn't a rollover IIRC. But not sure about which were simple rollovers as the info isn't presented in that way in what I have seen.

not even you can claim the EU deal is an improvement on what we had before

Japan is not counted as a rollover but I think Liz Truss finally admitted that there are no benefits to the new deal. I think the main problem is that written into the EU deal was that they had the best terms so anything Japan gave us they would have to give the EU. I do not see us ending up with the same terms (or slightly worse) as a failure but we are not better off.
    For cheese, we get the leftover tariff free access if the EU don't use all of theirs.

But it is a better deal in other respects apparently. Marginal differences either way.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777

Stevo_666 said:

Japan wasn't a rollover IIRC. But not sure about which were simple rollovers as the info isn't presented in that way in what I have seen.

Japan is not counted as a rollover but I think Liz Truss finally admitted that there are no benefits to the new deal. I think the main problem is that written into the EU deal was that they had the best terms so anything Japan gave us they would have to give the EU. I do not see us ending up with the same terms (or slightly worse) as a failure but we are not better off.
    I simply said above it was good news that we are doing so many - and that doing them is better than not doing them. Of course there will likely be net gains for new agreements that previously did not exist.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

I think the EU deal is worth including too - that's the one that has had the highest visibility, so the highest number of unexpected issues.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I simply said above it was good news that we are doing so many - and that doing them is better than not doing them. Of course there will likely be net gains for new agreements that previously did not exist.
    "No deal is better than a bad deal" was the mantra during the Brexit negotiations.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

"No deal is better than a bad deal" was the mantra during the Brexit negotiations.
    A handy soundbite I'm sure, but not sure what sort of bad things you see realistically coming out of a trade deal that would make things worse than a no deal situation?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

A handy soundbite I'm sure, but not sure what sort of bad things you see realistically coming out of a trade deal that would make things worse than a no deal situation?
    A lowering of animal welfare standards for example.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    as a result of brexit were all going to have employment rights stripped away, raw sewage will be pumped into the sea, and union carbide will be responsible for water quality, prisons will all be handed over to AMerican prison services and the NHS will be sold off. were going to get rampant inflation and our wages will fall to thirdworld standards.

Seriously instead of looking for fault either real or hypothetical wouldnt it be healthier to look to the future and make it great? I might be in a small minority here abouts.

• elbowloh
    david37 said:

as a result of brexit were all going to have employment rights stripped away, raw sewage will be pumped into the sea, and union carbide will be responsible for water quality, prisons will all be handed over to AMerican prison services and the NHS will be sold off. were going to get rampant inflation and our wages will fall to thirdworld standards.

Seriously instead of looking for fault either real or hypothetical wouldnt it be healthier to look to the future and make it great? I might be in a small minority here abouts.

You know, not everything is that binary. You don't need to be so hyperbolic. People are citing genuine concerns.

A lot of that depends on what the details of the deals are. You can't polish a turd.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Theoretically that could happen. Got any real life examples from the deals that have been signed recently?

Note that this improvement in animal welfare is in the pipeline now that we have left the EU:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55167473
  • Stevo_666
    david37 said:

Its all about those nasty countries that we might do trade deals with, as opposed to the nice cuddly EU :)

See my example on animal welfare above btw
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Theoretically that could happen. Got any real life examples from the deals that have been signed recently?

Note that this improvement in animal welfare is in the pipeline now that we have left the EU:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55167473
    I don't have details of the deals, so no.

Tbf, like with the Brexit deal, we won't really know the impacts until people try to use them in anger.

Edit: That example looks like a positive step.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Its all about those nasty countries that we might do trade deals with, as opposed to the nice cuddly EU :)

And while you may be in a minority on here, I think you are not in a minority in the real world.

[Edited in case of smartarse confusion ;) ]
  • elbowloh
    Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Well no. It's not about nasty countries at all. It's about a complete lack of trust in our own government due to their lying and bungling over the last 4 years.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

And while you may be in a minority on here, I think you are not in the real world.
    this is unintentionally brilliant.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I know the answer to this - a loss of sovereignty would make a trade deal worse than no deal
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

And while you may be in a minority on here, I think you are not in the real world.
    I think he knows which way to take that.
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Well no. It's not about nasty countries at all. It's about a complete lack of trust in our own government due to their lying and bungling over the last 4 years.
    Try reading some of the previous arguments on here about doing trade deals with other countries. All of them were going to harm us in some way or be worthless because they were not with the EU. Especially the USA, although this may have changed slightly now Trump is no longer president.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Think he briefly forgot which account he was logged in with?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Try reading some of the previous arguments on here about doing trade deals with other countries. All of them were going to harm us in some way or be worthless because they were not with the EU. Especially the USA, although this may have changed slightly now Trump is no longer president.
    There were concerns over Trump and rightly so (imo), but trade deals need to be agreed by our side and we just don't trust our side to put the country's best interested at heart over, well lining their own and their mates pockets.

Why? Well i think the way COVID contracts and jobs were handed out has demonstrated this quite clearly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

well it looks very much to me that on one of the biggest issues of millennium the EU has absolutely screwed up. Thank god for Brexit because our elected government has arranged vaccine for all.

The EU on the other hand got itself in a beurocratic mess and is as i type trying to coerce UK vaccines supply for itself. in public. what a bag of self serving scoundrels.

GO BORIS!
  • Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

I don't think you read them yourself
  • elbowloh
    david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

well it looks very much to me that on one of the biggest issues of millennium the EU has absolutely screwed up. Thank god for Brexit because our elected government has arranged vaccine for all.

The EU on the other hand got itself in a beurocratic mess and is as i type trying to coerce UK vaccines supply for itself. in public. what a bag of self serving scoundrels.

GO BORIS!
    Yes, we've done better on the vaccine, but let's look at overall death tolls at the end of all this and see who "won".

Fuck this is a very sad state of affairs. Why does this have to be a contest?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

There were concerns over Trump and rightly so (imo), but trade deals need to be agreed by our side and we just don't trust our side to put the country's best interested at heart over, well lining their own and their mates pockets.

Why? Well i think the way COVID contracts and jobs were handed out has demonstrated this quite clearly.
    That's a different issue.
  • david37
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

i think the way covid contracts have been handed out is working quite well. I guess you prefer the EU way. without vaccine.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

I don't think you read them yourself
    I was involved in quite a few of those debates. Stop trying to stir.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Think he briefly forgot which account he was logged in with?
    Do you really think I have more than one account on here? :smile:
  • david37 said:

i think the way covid contracts have been handed out is working quite well.

The only way this makes any sense is if you got one of them.
  • elbowloh
    david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

i think the way covid contracts have been handed out is working quite well. I guess you prefer the EU way. without vaccine.

Forget about the vaccines for a minute and look at PPE and test and trace.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,026
    elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Guvmint did it the other way round. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • david37
    elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

no lets not forget about the massive success. thats just yes but whataboutery.