BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Journalist on Times Radio with Matt Chorley complaining that no one mentioned haulage issues such as cabotage during the Brexit referendum campaign or during the negotiations

That my friends is how we got here

cabotage is very interesting and probably explains the delta between fewer EU drivers and the problems we have
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    edited September 2021

Journalist on Times Radio with Matt Chorley complaining that no one mentioned haulage issues such as cabotage during the Brexit referendum campaign or during the negotiations

They did mention it during the negotiations. The EU didn't like it, because it was considered too much of a perk for a non-member even though it was in the interests of their drivers. The UK reciprocated the EU's position.

I mentioned this before.
    The point isn't that it wasn't mentioned in negotiation, the points is British political journalists on Times Radio being oblivious to these issues despite spending 5 years writing about Brexit.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

Journalist on Times Radio with Matt Chorley complaining that no one mentioned haulage issues such as cabotage during the Brexit referendum campaign or during the negotiations

They did mention it during the negotiations. The EU didn't like it, because it was considered too much of a perk for a non-member even though it was in the interests of their drivers. The UK reciprocated the EU's position.

I mentioned this before.
    The point isn't that it wasn't mentioned in negotiation, the points is British political journalists on Times Radio being oblivious to these issues despite spending 5 years writing about Brexit.

Oh right, I missed that point. The majority of journalists do seem to be a bit rubbish.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Hard to get fuel in York today.
    Quick shout out to the person clicking the trigger on the pump for ages to get the last dreggs in their ford focus for a final bill of £14.65
  • mully79 said:

Quick shout out to the person clicking the trigger on the pump for ages to get the last dreggs in their ford focus for a final bill of £14.65

Funnily enough, our simpleton neighbour did that in his focus and ended up with a pool of diesel under the car .
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    My local garage finally ran out this morning after having some pumps closed for a couple of days. They must have had a resupply during the day though as all pumps open tonight. I might try to squeeze 7 or 8 litres in to refill my tank and annoy people.
  • Someone needs to do a viral video on how to convert toilet paper into petrol substitute.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

Someone needs to do a viral video on how to convert toilet paper into petrol substitute.

It's an internal combustion engine.
    Toilet paper is combustable...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Someone needs to do a viral video on how to convert toilet paper into petrol substitute.

It's an internal combustion engine.
    Toilet paper is combustable...
    And if I'm not mistaken, they break down the wood pulp with some sort of solvent, which is probably derived from oil, just like petrol...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-58721650

What a story.

Drivers queued for hours outside a petrol station without realising it was closed, police said.

Derbyshire Police said they were called after long queues at the Etwall Fuel Express station caused an obstruction on the A516 on Monday.

Some had been at the garage for three hours despite the forecourt being shut following vandalism, the force added.

An appeal to trace two men in a white van who threatened an officer at the scene is under way.
  • rick_chasey
    Does anyone have any good analysis on why the petrol stations aren't gouging the sh!t out of petrol buyers?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    mully79 said:

Yet the missus could fill up at an empty garage on the A1079 North of Pocklington and the 3 garages she passed to get there didn’t have queues.
  • TheBigBean

Does anyone have any good analysis on why the petrol stations aren't gouging the sh!t out of petrol buyers?

Some are, but most have long term relationships with their customers.
  • rick_chasey

Do you think people are loyal to certain stations? I've never come across that myself.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,911

What a story.

Drivers queued for hours outside a petrol station without realising it was closed, police said.

Derbyshire Police said they were called after long queues at the Etwall Fuel Express station caused an obstruction on the A516 on Monday.

Some had been at the garage for three hours despite the forecourt being shut following vandalism, the force added.

An appeal to trace two men in a white van who threatened an officer at the scene is under way.
    I'm amazed to learn that Derby is in the South.
  • Does anyone have any good analysis on why the petrol stations aren't gouging the sh!t out of petrol buyers?

Stories round here of the price up 10p

Not sure if you call that excessive but much more and you risk losing your regular customers
  • TheBigBean
    Gas price graph which shows well how the price when from a real low to a record high. Nothing to do with Brexit though.

• rick_chasey
    Jezyboy said:

What a story.

I'm amazed to learn that Derby is in the South.
    It's proper Brexitland that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

They did that back in 2000??? when we had the tanker strikes, some of those profiteering (mainly small, private operations) closed afterwards. There was a lot of upset with those in village areas where the locals had always used them and suddenly got fleeced. It happened with a few local shops around here last year at the start of the pandemic. Larger places, less reliant on regular custom, can probably do it though. My local garage did raise the price at some point on Tuesday, only by 1p per litre but they hadn't had a new delivery so it was the same cost fuel to them. It's not huge amounts but certainly a worthwhile increase in profit whilst being small enough not to alienate their regular customers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Was going to post something similar to Pross.
    Short term actions have long term consequences.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Do you think people are loyal to certain stations? I've never come across that myself.
    Alan Partridge is. Where else can you get a mug of beans with a sausage to use as a spoon?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    I wouldn't say I was loyal to a petrol station but there are a couple I tend to use on my regular commute.

If they were obviously increasing prices above what everyone else was charging due to the shortage then they would probably lose my custom when things went back to normal.
  • What I don't understand about the PM urging people to "go about their business in the usual way" today is that if that involves driving, you'd probably need some fuel by now. It adds nothing.
  • Does anyone have any good analysis on why the petrol stations aren't gouging the sh!t out of petrol buyers?

it amazes me that people are not more price sensitive when it comes to petrol
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pangolin said:

You can also get apple pies with fillings that are hotter than the service of the sun.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

What I don't understand about the PM urging people to "go about their business in the usual way" today is that if that involves driving, you'd probably need some fuel by now. It adds nothing.

Just trying to say something reassuring without saying anything of substance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

What I don't understand about the PM urging people to "go about their business in the usual way" today is that if that involves driving, you'd probably need some fuel by now. It adds nothing.

Just trying to say something reassuring without saying anything of substance.
    I guess, but it's weird to see it along with "we're sending in the army".

It's like we can't see that it might be sensible to reduce the amount you drive if that's possible. Because it's a bit tricky to get fuel just now.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Is there an easy way for people to do this? Often (usually) getting petrol is on the way somewhere else, by the time you're there you might be slightly annoyed it's 1 or 2p more expensive than last time but you will probably still get petrol.

If say googlemaps had current prices included on the map of stations, that would drive (haha) real change in behavior I imagine.

On the other hand there are stations around town that you know will be more expensive than others, yet they seem to have regular custom, which is odd.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

Is there an easy way for people to do this? Often (usually) getting petrol is on the way somewhere else, by the time you're there you might be slightly annoyed it's 1 or 2p more expensive than last time but you will probably still get petrol.

If say googlemaps had current prices included on the map of stations, that would drive (haha) real change in behavior I imagine.

On the other hand there are stations around town that you know will be more expensive than others, yet they seem to have regular custom, which is odd.
    The fact that there is such a big difference would suggest people are not price sensitive.

I know I am not normal but I know the cheapest ones local to me and likewise on regular long journeys. If I filled up on a motorway I would see it as failure.