BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Interesting that referring to EU workers coming to the UK as 'scabs' doesn't get flagged.

I assumed he is joking
    It's not how I would refer to them, but those that voted out from the red wall might refer to them. Scab Labour is a term used for workers brought in to undermine workers negotiating position, suppress wages and enable poor conditions.
  • Stuff doesn’t magic out of nowhere. Someone had to produce it. You can’t buy it if no one is producing anything because everyone is retired.

I’m not talking about your pension. The world doesn’t go around without people working. It’s not about entitlement. It’s about demographics and who’s gonna be doing the work with an oversized part retired population.

The irony is there was a big spike of retirements in the lorry industry which had compounded the problem.

Passed 3 petrol stations on various outings / bike rides. They’d all run out of petrol. Ha. Nation of mugs.

And what caused all the drivers to hang up their keys? Deteriorating working conditions and poor pay.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

pblakeney said:

Strange thing today out on the bike. I passed loads of garages. No queues and no signs saying sold out. Muppets must feel silly. I hope so.

Drove out to Leith Hill from Kingston. Every petrol station we passed had massive queues except one that had a sign saying "no unleaded".

It was causing traffic jams at the hook junction with the a3 and at the leatherhead roundabout near Box Hill. It's crazy out there.

I bet you if you quizzed most of those drivers, each one would deny they are panic buying, but would come up with some reason why they had to queue to fill their tank to the top today.
    My plan - before the Worlds got so tasty - was to go and fill my little bike up today. It only needs 10l to brim the tank but I'm getting worried I might not even find that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney said:

Strange thing today out on the bike. I passed loads of garages. No queues and no signs saying sold out. Muppets must feel silly. I hope so.

Drove out to Leith Hill from Kingston. Every petrol station we passed had massive queues except one that had a sign saying "no unleaded".

It was causing traffic jams at the hook junction with the a3 and at the leatherhead roundabout near Box Hill. It's crazy out there.

I bet you if you quizzed most of those drivers, each one would deny they are panic buying, but would come up with some reason why they had to queue to fill their tank to the top today.
    If they need petrol in the next few days, they're probably right, because everywhere is running out.

It's rational in each person's case, but causing the problem they are worried about in aggregate.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691

Stuff doesn’t magic out of nowhere. Someone had to produce it. You can’t buy it if no one is producing anything because everyone is retired.

I’m not talking about your pension. The world doesn’t go around without people working. It’s not about entitlement. It’s about demographics and who’s gonna be doing the work with an oversized part retired population.

The irony is there was a big spike of retirements in the lorry industry which had compounded the problem.

Passed 3 petrol stations on various outings / bike rides. They’d all run out of petrol. Ha. Nation of mugs.

And what caused all the drivers to hang up their keys? Deteriorating working conditions and poor pay.
    It’s obviously not poor pay as the current situation isn’t bringing them out of retirement
  • I filled up my tank today....

...a massive breakfast at the end of a very pleasant ride.

Only trouble is that it'll be empty again by teatime.
  • NI was originally segregated, but hasn't been for a long time.
    RJST: You are correct to say that NI conts aren't going towards that individual's pension, and that is because of the way the post war Labour government set up the system.

SC: I think you're about £120k over estimating the value of the pot required, but it certainly is a decent sum.

I started with £300k but then tried to put a value on triple lock and state backed
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923

NI was originally segregated, but hasn't been for a long time.
    RJST: You are correct to say that NI conts aren't going towards that individual's pension, and that is because of the way the post war Labour government set up the system.

SC: I think you're about £120k over estimating the value of the pot required, but it certainly is a decent sum.

I started with £300k but then tried to put a value on triple lock and state backed
    Annuities are fully covered by the compensation scheme, so no need to add anything there. The difficulty is putting a value on a situation like this year when wage inflation has rocketted. For the previous decade it was basically a 2.5% pa indexed linked annuity on a single life basis, no payment guarantees.
  • pblakeney said:

When we know the real reason is that they were too thick to do it Thursday
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

pblakeney said:

Can I suggest that there is a higher amount of muppets in Kingston then? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ^Truly one of the best half hours of television ever I think...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    The fuel station by me really shows the phenomenon off. It's quiet first thing and last thing, doesn't seem to have a shortage but as soon as all the pumps get used other people seem to start queuing. It's really weird to see.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

There were plenty in the wider Surrey area, but possibly fewer queueing now, as the whole area has apparently sold out.

Maybe your area is just blessed with a zen like state of calm missing from the rest of the country.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Presumably if the supply is there eventually everyone will have full tanks and it’ll calm down.
  • Presumably if the supply is there eventually everyone will have full tanks and it’ll calm down.

I've bought a couple of new cars so I can stockpile better.
  • Presumably if the supply is there eventually everyone will have full tanks and it’ll calm down.

I've bought a couple of new cars so I can stockpile better.
    Tried to get a tanker, but apparently you need a special licence.
  • Anyone willing to admit they've filled up "just in case"?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

There were plenty in the wider Surrey area, but possibly fewer queueing now, as the whole area has apparently sold out.

Maybe your area is just blessed with a zen like state of calm missing from the rest of the country.
    I doubt it is zen. More likely they have already filled up.
    Serious suggestion - A 25L* minimum, or pay double.

*Guestimate - More than average 1/2 tank.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

Not planning on driving the car at all before the middle of next month, so no.
  • Pross

Anyone willing to admit they've filled up "just in case"?

I was below half, I normally wait until the orange light is on but as the filling station was empty as I went past and things looked like they would get worse I took the chance to fill up. It will hopefully keep me going 10 days or so as I'm still mainly working from home. I need to make a site visit to Chorley at some point but won't be doing that until I'm confident I'll be able to fill up easily.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited September 2021
    Ok so we drove down from Yorkshire over the weekend over two days to break up the journey. Saw no issues at petrol stations in the north or the Midlands. Came off the M25 ( jcn 4 as we stopped off at Darwin's House and if the 6 garages we passed, 4 were closed and the other 2 had queues at least a mile long, I kid you not. I'm guessing some of those in the queue were just trying to get somewhere and were not out for fuel, but were just stuck.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • There's no way this country coped with a no deal Brexit
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

I told the missus to fill up on Thursday she did Friday morning but the light was on 😞😨 so just might have done it anyway.

As you all know I think a blindfolded monkey with a dart in his hand is right more often than Boris so when he said there is not a supply problem and don’t panic buy I thought and did the opposite
  • There's no way this country coped with a no deal Brexit

Have you still not figured out they don’t care about economic damage or dead bodies? Just assume that ideology comes first, second, third...
  • ddraver
    Well ironically the petrol station I found with fuel was a BP one. All others were shut.

It had a 45gbp "limit" is all...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    My local petrol station now running low and most pumps out of use. They are capping to a maximum of £30 after one person yesterday apparently filled their car a Jerry cans to a value of over £200. Not sure why they allowed that as I thought there were regulations on how much you could buy in Jerry cans. Even so I'm surprised the person wasn't lynched by those behind them.

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!