BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

webboo said:

Yikes. You learn something every day.

I guess it's just more evidence that progress doesn't reach people in the sticks.

If you are an example of urban progress, god help humanity.
    Charming. Don't take it so seriously :P
    the bizarre thing about this debate is that by any sensible definition you are in the sticks
    My terraced house that is the size of a shoebox that has access to giggabit fibre broadband says otherwise.
    You haven't seen many former farmworkers houses then?
    Of course he hasn't. It's patently obvious from his comments that he's never been outside an urban area, and never encountered mud.
    he lives in the Fens
    He lives in Cambridge, and gives the impression he doesn't like leaving the urban areas, unless in a train or in a car! He'd probably collapse in shock and panic if he went to the rural parts of the fens. B)

I am struggling to think of Cambridge as non-rural
    Um, OK.

webboo said:

I guess it's just more evidence that progress doesn't reach people in the sticks.

the bizarre thing about this debate is that by any sensible definition you are in the sticks
    My terraced house that is the size of a shoebox that has access to giggabit fibre broadband says otherwise.

And if you want to complain that UK infrastructure is sometimes poor, I give you:

Can't even stand the poles up straight.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

Of course he hasn't. It's patently obvious from his comments that he's never been outside an urban area, and never encountered mud.
    he lives in the Fens
    He lives in Cambridge, and gives the impression he doesn't like leaving the urban areas, unless in a train or in a car! He'd probably collapse in shock and panic if he went to the rural parts of the fens. B)

It is literally a city
    So is St David’s in Wales and you won’t get more rural than there.
  • webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

It is literally a city
    Ely is literally a city
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

If Cambridge is rural then other than London, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool, everywhere in the country is rural, which is patent nonsense.

Large towns of 50-100,000+ are not rural.
  • rjsterry said:

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

Um, OK.

webboo said:

And if you want to complain that UK infrastructure is sometimes poor, I give you:

France is, quite literally, giving up on wired telephones. No wonder, when they look like this. And their electricity wiring is hardly less 'artistic': they just string everything up on poles, willy-nilly, and hope it stays up. It doesn't, a lot of the time.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

If Cambridge is rural then other than London, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool, everywhere in the country is rural, which is patent nonsense.

Leeds and about 40 other towns and cities are upset at this comment
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm just waiting for Stevo to say that he's got plenty of gas for his boiler.

Funnily enough, the house we're buying has oil fired central heating and no gas :) (house buying attempt #2 after the last one fell through).
    Oh mate, don't do it! I couldn't tell you how long I've listened to people whine about how much faff that is.
    not so much the faff as the cost!!!! I would ask to see a few years delivery receipts
    Honestly, I have never heard so much whining from people about oil fired houses.

Christ alive. The regular days off to take delivery. The general maintenance. Running out of oil before the season is over. Delays in oil delivery. My favourite, the "my house is so big it's so much to heat. Oi, can you do that work so I can deliver it to the client and charge the next fee which i get 50% off and you none".

Honestly Stevo, don't do it.
    We replaced a oil boiler and tank a few years ago like for like. There is a tank gauge so you know where you are with quantity and I have never had to wait more than say 7 days for a fill. It is a pretty cheap way to heat a house and if serviced yearly is pretty reliable for say the 10 year boiler life. In rural places with no gas it is a no brainer in terms of cost. The only thing that could possibly beat it is if you can bring your probably old house up to modern regs for both air changes and insulation and have room to install substantial solar then a air source heat pump might work.
    This is not actually as difficult as you imply, especially if you are doing some renovation work anyway as many do when moving into somewhere new. And the PV is not essential - just a good way to offset the cost of running the heat pump.
    In my case it would require a re-roof of the existing house to change the membrane under the tiles as this is on the way out and needs done in the next ten years anyway then install a modern amount of insulation in the voids. I would probably have to go round each room of the old house and apply insulated plasterboard as adding the insulation to the external walls would probably not work with the minimal tile overlap at the eaves. Good few thousand there. I might as well stick with oil.

The point about solar is the cost of electricity is pretty high at the minute. Heat pumps are often 10kw plus appliances and run a fair amount of the winter. Without any self generation this is going to get a lot more expensive than oil. I use about £600 or 1400 litres of oil a year to heat the house. Adding the new extension will hopefully reduce this a bit as I replaced a very drafty building but we will use more electricity as we have a electric aga in the kitchen that gives some heat load to the house.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

There are 46 towns and cities in the UK with larger populations than Cambridge.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    webboo said:

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

There are 46 towns and cities in the UK with larger populations than Cambridge.
    Interesting stat and backs up my point.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    I think for some "rural" means outside the M25.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

There are some fairly rural places inside the M25 still
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

There are some fairly rural places inside the M25 still
    Yeahbut everything outside is rural. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

It is literally a city
    Ely is literally a city
    And is also not rural. The bits around it are, but towns and cities are definitely not rural.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited September 2021
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Funnily enough, the house we're buying has oil fired central heating and no gas :) (house buying attempt #2 after the last one fell through).
    Oh mate, don't do it! I couldn't tell you how long I've listened to people whine about how much faff that is.
    not so much the faff as the cost!!!! I would ask to see a few years delivery receipts
    Honestly, I have never heard so much whining from people about oil fired houses.

Christ alive. The regular days off to take delivery. The general maintenance. Running out of oil before the season is over. Delays in oil delivery. My favourite, the "my house is so big it's so much to heat. Oi, can you do that work so I can deliver it to the client and charge the next fee which i get 50% off and you none".

We replaced a oil boiler and tank a few years ago like for like. There is a tank gauge so you know where you are with quantity and I have never had to wait more than say 7 days for a fill. It is a pretty cheap way to heat a house and if serviced yearly is pretty reliable for say the 10 year boiler life. In rural places with no gas it is a no brainer in terms of cost. The only thing that could possibly beat it is if you can bring your probably old house up to modern regs for both air changes and insulation and have room to install substantial solar then a air source heat pump might work.
    This is not actually as difficult as you imply, especially if you are doing some renovation work anyway as many do when moving into somewhere new. And the PV is not essential - just a good way to offset the cost of running the heat pump.
    In my case it would require a re-roof of the existing house to change the membrane under the tiles as this is on the way out and needs done in the next ten years anyway then install a modern amount of insulation in the voids. I would probably have to go round each room of the old house and apply insulated plasterboard as adding the insulation to the external walls would probably not work with the minimal tile overlap at the eaves. Good few thousand there. I might as well stick with oil.

The point about solar is the cost of electricity is pretty high at the minute. Heat pumps are often 10kw plus appliances and run a fair amount of the winter. Without any self generation this is going to get a lot more expensive than oil. I use about £600 or 1400 litres of oil a year to heat the house. Adding the new extension will hopefully reduce this a bit as I replaced a very drafty building but we will use more electricity as we have a electric aga in the kitchen that gives some heat load to the house.
    Save us from f***ing insulated plasterboard. The Devil's own building material. If you have solid walls, it can trap moisture on the inside of the masonry where it condenses (the insulation keeps the heat inside, so the wall actually gets colder moving the dew point inwards). Condensation inside a solid wall is not good. If you were to go for internal wall insulation, go for something vapour permeable. But external insulation is safer and easier to install.

If you are re-roofing, extending the eaves to cover external wall insulation is not a big extra cost. Yes, as a standalone project, getting your house from an EPC grade D or E up to something close to Passivhaus is of course a big job but as part of general refurbishment - e.g. roof needed doing anyway - the extra over is more manageable. And as you say, you can tackle the job a bit at a time by sorting the most draughty bits first. And you don't need to go full Passivhaus for an ASHP to work; just enough so that slightly oversized radiators running at lower surface temperature can do the job. We've also done a few projects where a smaller ASHP is backed up by a wood burner or gas boiler (or could be oil) for just those really cold days when the ASHP would be flat out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

Um, OK.

webboo said:

France is, quite literally, giving up on wired telephones. No wonder, when they look like this. And their electricity wiring is hardly less 'artistic': they just string everything up on poles, willy-nilly, and hope it stays up. It doesn't, a lot of the time.
    You can see why a lot of places have gone straight to mobile.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm disgusted.

Not only was there a German and an Italian on the new series of the Great British Bake Off, but the German also won star baker this week.

Brexit means Brexit.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

Um, OK.

webboo said:

You can see why a lot of places have gone straight to mobile.
    It's going to be fibre, mobile or satellite. To be fair, they are doing quite a good job of getting fibre to quite rural locations. France is paying the price now for the Napoleonic drive to establish small communities dotted all over the place to exploit the smallest and remotest tracts of land that could be coaxed into food production. Now they have to bite the bullet and service those tiny communities in hard-to-reach places, or let them die. England, in comparison, is one big metropolis: there's nowhere actually remote.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    edited September 2021
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Save us from f***ing insulated plasterboard. The Devil's own building material. If you have solid walls, it can trap moisture on the inside of the masonry where it condenses (the insulation keeps the heat inside, so the wall actually gets colder moving the dew point inwards). Condensation inside a solid wall is not good. If you were to go for internal wall insulation, go for something vapour permeable. But external insulation is safer and easier to install.

If you are re-roofing, extending the eaves to cover external wall insulation is not a big extra cost. Yes, as a standalone project, getting your house from an EPC grade D or E up to something close to Passivhaus is of course a big job but as part of general refurbishment - e.g. roof needed doing anyway - the extra over is more manageable. And as you say, you can tackle the job a bit at a time by sorting the most draughty bits first. And you don't need to go full Passivhaus for an ASHP to work; just enough so that slightly oversized radiators running at lower surface temperature can do the job. We've also done a few projects where a smaller ASHP is backed up by a wood burner or gas boiler (or could be oil) for just those really cold days when the ASHP would be flat out.
    Why isn't it a two stage process? Firstly do the insulation and keep the oil boiler. Secondly, when the boiler needs replacing, think about alternatives. I've never really liked the way that marketing for heat pumps seems to take credit for the insulation it requires.
  • john80
    My sister has an ashp in her new build but in Scotland there are a large number of loans and energy subsidies that make this not a million miles off the cost of a gas system. I don't think these subsidies or loans are available in england for the time being.
  • john80 said:

My sister has an ashp in her new build but in Scotland there are a large number of loans and energy subsidies that make this not a million miles off the cost of a gas system. I don't think these subsidies or loans are available in england for the time being.

In Scotland the subsidies are paid from English taxation. In England it would seem like madness to incur the admin costs of taxation and subsidies to redistribute people's own money to themselves.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why isn't it a two stage process? Firstly do the insulation and keep the oil boiler. Secondly, when the boiler needs replacing, think about alternatives. I've never really liked the way that marketing for heat pumps seems to take credit for the insulation it requires.
    It can be as many stages as you want, but more stages tend to add cost, complexity and the potential for doing bits of work twice.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

john80 said:

In Scotland the subsidies are paid from English taxation. In England it would seem like madness to incur the admin costs of taxation and subsidies to redistribute people's own money to themselves.
    🙄.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Just looked at my gas and electricity bill. On a fixed rate till November, but if it finished now, the best deal I could get is a 50% increase on both.
  • webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

Likewise always thought Cambridge was rural it's certainly classed as so on our network.
    So Far!
  • john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stick the insulation on the outside, that way you get to use the brickwork as a heat-store and prevent temperature fluctuations. Extend the roof tiles a tad or cap the top of the insulation with a taper at the top. job done. Saves a packet over the disruption of internal and lets face it, cavity insulation is never put in properly.
  • Just looked at my gas and electricity bill. On a fixed rate till November, but if it finished now, the best deal I could get is a 50% increase on both.

And now we will have to suck it up, because they've collapsed.

In fairness you would have got a sh1t deal when it ended anyway so you are only several weeks down

In fairness you would have got a censored deal when it ended anyway so you are only several weeks down
    Indeed. Still a 50% increase, which will be difficult for some people.

It's an amazing new phenomenon, the business that just loses money on each customer until it goes pop.
  • john80
    It would seem to me that starting up an energy billing business probably does not require that much capital. Set it up when prices are low. Get as ma.y customers as you can and the persuade some fools to invest in your business whilst getting paid a couple of million to run it. Prices go up, you fold with three years pay and the remaining companies and consumers pay your debts. What is not to like.