BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

I'm still not clear what is bad enough to leave the UK, that isn't just differently messed up elsewhere.
    Obviously a very personal subjective thing, so genuinely asking rather than rhetorically.

A feeling things are at least moving in the right direction...
    I think there are signs of the tide turning on that front.
    i think the press are gradually starting to find their feet again with regard to holding the government to account but I still can't recall bare faced lying being so acceptable as it remains.

I think it's a long way to go.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    rjsterry said:

I'm still not clear what is bad enough to leave the UK, that isn't just differently messed up elsewhere.
    Obviously a very personal subjective thing, so genuinely asking rather than rhetorically.

People are generally friendlier and happier. No pretensions. Happier to enjoy life than show off wealth. Less congestion. Slower pace of life. Better scenery.
    What's bad here? It is the opposite.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    rjsterry said:

Honest question have you ever lived outside of the UK?

It's not just about "quality of schools" etc. It's how you feel when you're there.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    edited June 2021

rjsterry said:

Honest question have you ever lived outside of the UK?

It's not just about "quality of schools" etc. It's how you feel when you're there.
    Only very briefly, but have several friends and relatives dotted around. They generally seem to report slightly different versions of the same problems we have. Brother has been mired in the Canadian equivalent of Home Office bureaucracy for the last two years. Friends who moved to Denmark have had difficulties with schools for their two children and oh my word the enthusiasm with which the Danes like to tell off complete strangers for the most minor infringement like standing on the wrong bit of pavement. Cousin's family in Belgium have suffered from that country's poor response to Covid. Brother lived in Bologna for a while and couldn't stand the state of politics there.

Obviously that's a very small sample, and I'm not suggesting there isn't plenty of room for improvement here. The only place I've felt as comfortable as home is Norway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    rjsterry said:

Brother has been mired in the Canadian equivalent of Home Office bureaucracy for the last two years.

Took a friend of mine ages to be landed in Canada. Lots of frustration. At one point, she wanted to send them a news clipping from the local newspaper in which they claimed her as their own.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Brother has been mired in the Canadian equivalent of Home Office bureaucracy for the last two years.

Took a friend of mine ages to be landed in Canada. Lots of frustration. At one point, she wanted to send them a news clipping from the local newspaper in which they claimed her as their own.
    Oh, and the availability of affordable property in BC seems to be if anything worse than London.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Oh, and the availability of affordable property in BC seems to be if anything worse than London.
    BC is a big place, but I could believe that about Vancouver, Victoria and their surroundings.

In other places you can still buy "lots" and have a completely new place built in a style devoid of any architectural interest.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

BC is a big place, but I could believe that about Vancouver, Victoria and their surroundings.

In other places you can still buy "lots" and have a completely new place built in a style devoid of any architectural interest.
    He lives in Victoria. The problem with most of these plots is the lack of decent transport connections, let alone mains services.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

He lives in Victoria. The problem with most of these plots is the lack of decent transport connections, let alone mains services.
    We ended up in these 4 or 5 times when we were out there...

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Victoria isn't really representative of the rest of Canada or even BC. It's a popular place for Brits to move to though.

Transport to most Canadians is their truck.

• elbowloh

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Victoria isn't really representative of the rest of Canada or even BC. It's a popular place for Brits to move to though.

We turned up on Victoria day and it was full of high-school kids in marching bands or cheerleading squads parading around and doing cartwheels everywhere, even when they weren't performing.

Also meant the car-hire place that we booked our car from was shut...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2021

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

This is true. Unless you live in a city or commuter belt you will need a car.
    Quite possibly with off road capabilities.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    Sure. We seem to have veered somewhat from my original point, which was that other places are not without their own difficulties.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    rjsterry said:

Sure. We seem to have veered somewhat from my original point, which was that other places are not without their own difficulties.

The 'grass is always greener' syndrome in action...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    rjsterry said:

A lot of it is just about what societies prioritise in life and that changes from place to place.

There are places where you feel you're swimming against the tide in every day life - general social interactions etc - and places where you feel you're swimming with the tide.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    rjsterry said:

Part of the choice entails choosing somewhere with challenges that bother you less...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

Part of the choice entails choosing somewhere with challenges that bother you less...
    Of course. I was trying to dig into what those might be. I've previously been struck by the difference between Rick's description of living in Fulham and my experience living just the other side of the Thames at around the same time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

Of course. I was trying to dig into what those might be. I've previously been struck by the difference between Rick's description of living in Fulham and my experience living just the other side of the Thames at around the same time.
    It's about swimming against the tide. That must help.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

It's about swimming against the tide. That must help.
    In the Thames? 😉
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited June 2021
    Ireland trade figures

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Ireland trade figures

It’s almost like an economic unification of Ireland
  • elbowloh
    And so it begins, EE have announced that they're bringing in roaming charges for new and upgrading customers from the 1st Jan 2021.

There's a benefit right there, our mobile phone companies can start charging exorbitant rates again when we go on holiday, yay!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    Obviously I'm with you in spirit, but doesn't it kick on over 25GB/month?

Twenty.Five.Giga.Bytes???

I don't think I got close to that last year when I streamed pretty much the whole tour on GCN!
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    ddraver said:

I don't think I got close to that last year when I streamed pretty much the whole tour on GCN!

No, EE are starting with a flat £2 per day to use your own allowance.

£2 a day doesn't seem like much, but £14 over a week's holiday to use what you're already paying for. Plus, i imagine it's just the start. Get customers used to paying £2 per day, then it'll go up and up.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ....humph... :(
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2021
    I can remember what roaming charges used to be like. Not exact figures but you could get hit with a 3 figure bill on your return.
    And that was just calls, texts and Google searches. No streaming.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

No, EE are starting with a flat £2 per day to use your own allowance.

£2 a day doesn't seem like much, but £14 over a week's holiday to use what you're already paying for. Plus, i imagine it's just the start. Get customers used to paying £2 per day, then it'll go up and up.

We ought to take bets on how long the others who said they wouldn't reintroduce roaming charges take to come up with imperative reasons why they now need to do so.

Still, it's another #brexitwin - easy money for the mobile phone operators, without having to raise a finger.... well, other than to their customers.
  • TheBigBean
    With any luck the UK regulator will do its job.
  • briantrumpet
    Weird, I can't find a mention of the re-imposition of roaming charges on the Telegraph front page...
  • briantrumpet
    edited June 2021
    I wouldn't be surprised next if UK companies suddenly find a pressing need to charge differential rates for using credit rather than debit cards, as they "need to invest in their network" or something. Bit by bit we'll find all the ways the nasty bureaucratic EU made our lives a bit better... oh, hang on, I've forgotten the narrative... what was it?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/07/credit-debit-card-fees-to-be-banned/