BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

If it wasn’t quite so bad for their livelihoods this would be one of the most delicious “I told you so”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/13/end-of-the-line-how-brexit-left-hulls-fishing-industry-facing-extinction

Especially given the prominence of fishing in the leave campaign.

They vote Brexit and they now vote Tory.
    They tell us they know what they’re voting for.
    Struggling to feel any sympathy.
    Yep they were very specifically told this would happen so they have literally got what they voted for
    It is just baffling. My only frustration is that we are still blaming everyone else for our problems.

I didn’t want Brexit but, like Stevo, think we do now need to embrace it and move forwards as best we can but we just seem stuck in a perpetual euro blaming rut.

All the failings of Brexit are now the Eu’s fault. When on earth are the government going to move forwards?
    Oh they’re not, we’ve moved backwards to a violent and disenfranchised Northern Ireland, just with a new dynamic.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

morstar said:

If it wasn’t quite so bad for their livelihoods this would be one of the most delicious “I told you so”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/13/end-of-the-line-how-brexit-left-hulls-fishing-industry-facing-extinction

Especially given the prominence of fishing in the leave campaign.

They vote Brexit and they now vote Tory.
    They tell us they know what they’re voting for.
    Struggling to feel any sympathy.
    Yep they were very specifically told this would happen so they have literally got what they voted for
    Not only was the outcome outlined in this forum, but the blame game was too.
    They haven't disappointed, which is disappointing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    Biden is actually in a no lose situation with NI.
    If UK commit to more alignment in order to allow our internal border to open that is to no detriment to the Eu.
    If we insist on divergence, it will favour a united Ireland and we will have done so only in order to get a US trade deal and accept their low standard produce. Those are the only circumstances under which we are getting a US trade deal after all.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    morstar said:

Those are the only circumstances under which we are getting a US trade deal after all.

There was some signaling from the US this week that UK EU SPS alignment wouldn't be a barrier to a UK US trade deal.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

morstar said:

Those are the only circumstances under which we are getting a US trade deal after all.

There was some signaling from the US this week that UK EU SPS alignment wouldn't be a barrier to a UK US trade deal.

Signalling from Biden but I don’t think that is his to give
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It suggests that US aims for any future trade deal are much less comprehensive than whatever fantasy the Brexiters have...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    ddraver said:

It suggests that US aims for any future trade deal are much less comprehensive than whatever fantasy the Brexiters have...

Their primary aim is to gain access to our food markets.
    This requires a lowering of standards which is completely at odds with rhetoric.
    Whether that’s a negotiating tactic or what, who knows but allowing American food imports will lower standards.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    ddraver said:

My understanding is that the US system is far more democratic and that promise is not Biden’s gift to grant
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    There are products from America that would be beneficial to us. It's not all steroid injected beef. Maybe be a bit smarter in the panning of US food products and pick the ones we like.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    john80 said:

There are products from America that would be beneficial to us. It's not all steroid injected beef. Maybe be a bit smarter in the panning of US food products and pick the ones we like.

Can we not get them already?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    john80 said:

Such as? Genuine question.

We're already overwhelmed by their cultural exports. The cars are a piece of shit, they don't really make decent electrical goods (Apple products aren't made in the US). We get US beer and wine here also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

We're already overwhelmed by their cultural exports. The cars are a piece of censored , they don't really make decent electrical goods (Apple products aren't made in the US). We get US beer and wine here also.
    What sort of argument is this?

World’s biggest economy “has nothing we would want”

Ok mate.

How about dollar denominated financing?
  • elbowloh
    edited June 2021

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

We're already overwhelmed by their cultural exports. The cars are a piece of censored , they don't really make decent electrical goods (Apple products aren't made in the US). We get US beer and wine here also.

Ok mate.

It's a genuine question. I don't know what the US makes that we don't have here. We don't all come on here to have an argument Rick.

We have a fairly large financial market here already, full of US banks. Their big tech companies are all already here.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Baconaise
  • morstar
    Spray cheese.
  • elbowloh
    Wendy's is coming back to the UK already also...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Ok mate.

It's a genuine question. I don't know what the US makes that we don't have here. We don't all come on here to have an argument Rick.

We have a fairly large financial market here already, full of US banks. Their big tech companies are all already here.
    Pretty much every company I have ever seen either uses Mac operating systems or windows.

• morstar

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Ok mate.

Pretty much every company I have ever seen either uses Mac operating systems or windows.

Reasonably sure we can get those already.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Ok mate.

Exactly! We already have those products here!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Ok mate.

Don't think we need to sell British farming down the river to access those products. John seems to think we need a great new trade deal for, erm... stuff... erm...
  • john80

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Ok mate.

Don't think we need to sell British farming down the river to access those products. John seems to think we need a great new trade deal for, erm... stuff... erm...
    Yet again you demonstrate that you don't know what I think. I wonder how many other people you have a hard time reading with your powers.
  • john80
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Look around the UK. With the exception of the south west we are not overflowing with land suitable for crops. Presently we import a lot of this from Europe whilst America has something to offer. Round my way we can grow grass, cows and sheep. Not much of a balanced diet. Getting upset about pork products from America somewhat misses the point.
  • morstar
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Look around the UK. With the exception of the south west we are not overflowing with land suitable for crops. Presently we import a lot of this from Europe whilst America has something to offer. Round my way we can grow grass, cows and sheep. Not much of a balanced diet. Getting upset about pork products from America somewhat misses the point.
    But we currently get food generally produced to high standards and in the UK specifically, we do place value on animal husbandry standards.
    The US food production is solely focussed on maximising efficiency with both quality and husbandry standards a very distant consideration.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

We have pigs round my way. I'd offer to swap but we also have grass, cows and sheep. Strawberries too. Mmmmmm....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited June 2021
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

You need to get out a bit more and visit places like Lincolnshire which is one large farm.

They also seem to manage to grow things here in Yorkshire.
    Although in an upside down sort of way.
  • briantrumpet
    If you think UK agriculture is industrialised, Google 'feedlots'. This is the life of US cattle, pigs and lambs.

• briantrumpet

Poultry has been heavily industrialised for sometime, indeed. The ban on battery eggs was but a blip in the march towards 'efficiency'. The really big money is in the meat side, and that's mostly hidden from view.
  • elbowloh
    I don't eat meat, so no good for me.

That's right isn't it, we only care about what benefits us personally?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    webboo said:

john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

You need to get out a bit more and visit places like Lincolnshire which is one large farm.

They also seem to manage to grow things here in Yorkshire.
    Although in an upside down sort of way.
    How much harvesting do you get done in January.