BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,574

Worth pondering this for a minute

Lord Frost didn't realize the impact of barriers to trade, in the form of paperwork and checks, would have on UK businesses exporting to EU and would cause suppliers to decide it wasn't worthwhile
    Correct.

Or he thinks spinning it that way is better than the alternative.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Very little traffic on this thread now.

1 more big sleep to the 8th meeting of the Joint Committee tomorrow.

Excited?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Think the reality is what matters now is what Biden says to Johnson over a pasty this weekend now...

Frost's sole job is to obstruct anything the EU suggest so the compliant press can blame it on the EU regardless of the reality.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    its now about sausages.
  • ddraver

Loooow Liiiiie The Fields,
    of the White House,
    where once we watched,
    The chip-olaters fry....
    (Oh baby let the bacon fry!)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Only days after Johnson says he wants to bin the 'special relationship' term.

Makes more sense why now.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858
    Hang on, wasn't it the Telegraph who said that the UK had all the aces?

• rick_chasey

"Imperial EU" in the context of Northern Ireland?

F*ck me.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,222

I saw this quoted from the Telegraph article. Which seems fair, but also obvious at the time.

I'm also thoroughly sick of Brexiters being outraged that the EU is behaving like the rules based, intransigent bureaucracy that they said it was.
  • darkhairedlord

Imposed upon us? It was the greatest deal even, unworthy of allowing mps to even read it. Greatest weakness? But this was heralded as a triumph.
  • ddraver
    Presumably, this means the end of the career of the Prime Minister and negotiator that so comprehensively lost the battle and signed this appalling capitulation?
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    It is an admission, of course, as some have said all along, that the EU was in the dominant position and was able to impose its will on the UK.

I distinctly remember this being regularly disputed by plenty of regulars on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858

It is an admission, of course, as some have said all along, that the EU was in the dominant position and was able to impose its will on the UK.

I distinctly remember this being regularly disputed by plenty of regulars on here.

I really can't be bothered to go back through Allister Heath's pieces on it, but I suspect he's changed his tone somewhat.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    No sense of irony that the 'winners' that shouted everyone down as remoaners at every point are now whinging more then anyone.
  • kingstongraham
    I really don't understand why we signed a protocol that means that products that are to enter NI and not move on to the EU can be banned. The only reason can be because it's so ridiculous, they needed it over the line and assumed that it could be dealt with later by having this fight. Of course, that would mean that NI isn't really in the single market, which should be fine too.
  • ddraver

I really can't be bothered to go back through Allister Heath's pieces on it, but I suspect he's changed his tone somewhat.
    'Brian' has you covered ;)

- @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472

I saw this quoted from the Telegraph article. Which seems fair, but also obvious at the time.

I'm also thoroughly sick of Brexiters being outraged that the EU is behaving like the rules based, intransigent bureaucracy that they said it was.
    Surely they should have accepted no deal in this situation? We were told quite loudly that no deal was better than a bad deal so either they changed their mind on that or the deal isn't as bad as they are making it out to be.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Biden is living in lala land if he thinks that the UK's implementation as the EU would like it to do is going to result in peace. He seems to have conveniently forgotten that half of the NI population don't really agree with him. It would be slightly ironic if the IRAs past example was used against Irish officials by unionists.

When you tell a unionist that the sausages they could buy last week are too dangerous for them this week and that it will be the end of the common market he is literally going to be laughing in your face. It's not a good argument winner.
  • kingstongraham
    john80 said:

Biden is living in lala land if he thinks that the UK's implementation as the EU would like it to do is going to result in peace. He seems to have conveniently forgotten that half of the NI population don't really agree with him. It would be slightly ironic if the IRAs past example was used against Irish officials by unionists.

When you tell a unionist that the sausages they could buy last week are too dangerous for them this week and that it will be the end of the common market he is literally going to be laughing in your face. It's not a good argument winner.

It's almost like you can't have no border in the Irish Sea combined with no border on the island of Ireland and also have a border.

The UK position seems to be we will have the same food standards as the EU, so there's no problem, but we won't sign something that says we will have the same standards, and the EU's position is that while you may have the same standards, we're not waiting until you change them to impose the restrictions you agreed to.

Both ridiculous.
  • ddraver
    How we forgot the joys of a scrumptious horse lasagne...
    - @ddraver
  • darkhairedlord
    john80 said:

This is the deal BJ and the rest of the gang signed up for. Saying it is no good six months down the line doesn't wash.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

Surely Biden wants a unification of the island of Ireland.

Boris has to pretend to care about NI whereas his actions suggest he is prepared to sacrifice them for the greater good.
  • john80

john80 said:

Boris has to pretend to care about NI whereas his actions suggest he is prepared to sacrifice them for the greater good.
    He might want that but he might get troubles two but this time it will be the unionists blowing up Irish targets. Best hope they have mellowed over time eh.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited June 2021
    Joe Biden has given Boris Johnson a new US-made bicycle – and helmet – to mark their first ever meeting.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/joe-biden-boris-johnson-new-bike-1046284

Don't tell me that's not a special relationship!

• john80

john80 said:

This is the deal BJ and the rest of the gang signed up for. Saying it is no good six months down the line doesn't wash.
    There is claims about minimising checks in the deal that are actively being stalled by the EU. The EU want to make it hard for UK businesses to service existing markets in the hope that this benefits Irish and EU firms. Fair play to them but I think it is going to backfire as they are hardly winning the argument on the ground.
  • ddraver
    They can fill in the forms like everyone else...
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    john80 said:

There is claims about minimising checks in the deal that are actively being stalled by the EU. The EU want to make it hard for UK businesses to service existing markets in the hope that this benefits Irish and EU firms. Fair play to them but I think it is going to backfire as they are hardly winning the argument on the ground.

In what way do you think the EU are actively stalling?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    It's only a few forms and checks I don't know what they're moaning about. Project Fear.
    john80 said:

john80 said:

He might want that but he might get troubles two but this time it will be the unionists blowing up Irish targets. Best hope they have mellowed over time eh.
    I don't know what they're moaning about. It's only a few forms and checks. Brexit won, stop being a remoaner. Project Fear.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

john80 said:

I am sure that if you are happy to support terrorism to achieve your goal then having a few bombs coming back your way would not be a problem
  • john80

john80 said:

In what way do you think the EU are actively stalling?
    How many things have they agreed equivalence on. From a fully compliant nation that has currently enacted pretty much no legislation to change stuff post departure that says it all really. Do you honestly think the EU are knuckling down to the task.