BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    If I was BJ I'd send a letter to the EU tonight requesting an extension until 31st December to facilitate a GE.

Tomorrow I'd go for a GE

And lose lots of seats to the Brexit party? I'm not sure how your strategy works.
    Yeah, as soon as he breaks his (self imposed) do or die deadline the Brexit party has a really big and sharp stick to beat him with.

That's probably going to happen anyway, so he might as well be proactive rather than reactive.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    If I was BJ I'd send a letter to the EU tonight requesting an extension until 31st December to facilitate a GE.

Tomorrow I'd go for a GE

And lose lots of seats to the Brexit party? I'm not sure how your strategy works.
    Yeah, as soon as he breaks his (self imposed) do or die deadline the Brexit party has a really big and sharp stick to beat him with.

That's probably going to happen anyway, so he might as well be proactive rather than reactive.

In my view my strategy is the correct move *if* you accept that an extension is now inevitable.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Anyone else seen the motorway signs that sprung up last week? They say something like 'EU freight papers may change 1 November please check'. Not really a lot of use to anyone. May change? Check with who?
  • Pross wrote:
    Anyone else seen the motorway signs that sprung up last week? They say something like 'EU freight papers may change 1 November please check'. Not really a lot of use to anyone. May change? Check with who?
    Yup. I suppose, on the plus side, they don't really cost anything to put up, but on the minus side, they are next to useless, and could easily morph into something more politically contentious, if they tried to suggest something was a fact when it's only an aspiration of some loons.
  • Been out of the country for a couple of months and to be honest haven't really looked at UK news but the odd headline I see I presume John Bercow is now running the country.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Pross wrote:
    Those are irritating as hell, I suspect anyone shipping inot or out of the EU is aware of that what they really need to know is how things may change. Are they just highlighting their own incompetence by advertising they haven't got a fookin' scooby what's going on?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    Pross wrote:
    Customs agents, for example.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    Yup. I suppose, on the plus side, they don't really cost anything to put up, but on the minus side, they are next to useless, and could easily morph into something more politically contentious, if they tried to suggest something was a fact when it's only an aspiration of some loons.
    You really think they would use motrway signs for propagada? Why?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-campaign
    Because it would be a cheap and efficient way to shift public perception. Given Boris Cummings' readiness to circumvent norms and protocols, even to the point of being unlawful, I don't think that a cynical view is unwarranted.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,749
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Those are irritating as hell, I suspect anyone shipping inot or out of the EU is aware of that what they really need to know is how things may change.
    Previously...
    PBlakeney wrote:
    In an interview at a food market on 5Live (maybe another BBC station) this morning an importer said that he had received documents from a Dutch exporter outlining everything that will have to be in place on the 31st of October.
    He was asked if he had got everything in place.
    The reply was basically, "Nah, it'll be alright."

Sleepwalking to disaster.
    Tick tock...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Trump says Johnson not to resign.

It's Trump's show now?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Curious to know how you govern when you’re so unpopular in parliament more then half of it isn’t in your party.
  • Pross
    Robert88 wrote:
    Trump says Johnson not to resign.

It's Trump's show now?

Trump looks like having to concentrate on his own career first.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Because it would be a cheap and efficient way to shift public perception. Given Boris Cummings' readiness to circumvent norms and protocols, even to the point of being unlawful, I don't think that a cynical view is unwarranted.
    Well thanks for warning us about this dangerous development Brian. Do tell us when subversive or subliminal messages start appearing on motorway signs. They will need to be pretty succinct as those motorway signs can only fit a handful of words on them.

Could there be a spot of speculation in this?
  • Pross
    The signs are run by Highways England who are pretty autonomous these days so I don't see that becoming an issue. They've obviously been ask to put the current message up but the message is just useless. Something like 'Changes to EU freight 1 November check www.insertwebsite.com' would be more help.
  • Pross wrote:
    The signs are run by Highways England who are pretty autonomous these days so I don't see that becoming an issue. They've obviously been ask to put the current message up but the message is just useless. Something like 'Changes to EU freight 1 November check http://www.insertwebsite.com' would be more help.

Might encourage people to write down the address.....

On the plus side, apart from all the anguished gnashing of teeth these notices bring the whole thing into sharp focus. Maybe they’ll encourage our representatives to pull their fingers out and sort the mess.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Motorway signs. Insert ads on podcasts various, with no actual information. Billboard posters advertising 20,000 police jobs. Keep on banging out the political messages. Habitualisation, innit. There's one of those 20,000 new police jobs, apply now billboards on the plaza outside Reading station for example; targeting who? Rail travelling commuters? The homeless rough sleepers? Or just political propaganda?
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Well thanks for warning us about this dangerous development Brian. Do tell us when subversive or subliminal messages start appearing on motorway signs. They will need to be pretty succinct as those motorway signs can only fit a handful of words on them.

Could there be a spot of speculation in this?
    Yes.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Regardless of where you sit politically or regarding BJ, yesterday's judgement throws our Constitution into the limelight for those that are interested.

eg
    https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2019/09 ... vereignty/

I accept that some/most will find it a bit dry. :)
  • Rees Mog is angry that the thickos in the supreme court have got it wrong and has called it a constitutional coup. Playing to the rabble rather than facts.

Id like to burn him alive in parliament square but sadly he will carry on as normal.

JUST GET BREXIT SORTED BUT DO IT LEGALY
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Regardless of where you sit politically or regarding BJ, yesterday's judgement throws our Constitution into the limelight for those that are interested.

eg
    https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2019/09 ... vereignty/

I accept that some/most will find it a bit dry. :)

I think the sc managed to deliver a verdict that walked through the commentators concerns. A good opinion piece.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Rees Mog is angry that the thickos in the supreme court have got it wrong and has called it a constitutional coup. Playing to the rabble rather than facts.

Id like to burn him alive in parliament square but sadly he will carry on as normal.

The irony of Rees-Mogg dismissing those who claimed the prorogation amounted to a coup as hysterical, and then a week or so later using the same language himself about the SC ruling, is now so 'normal' that it barely raises an eyebrow.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Rees Mog is angry that the thickos in the supreme court have got it wrong and has called it a constitutional coup. Playing to the rabble rather than facts.

I don't understand the claim that the Court are getting involved in politics. Someone raised a case through the Courts about the lawfulness of the decision which was then appealed to the Supreme Court. Surely they were obliged to hear the case and the fact that it was a unanimous decision that it was unlawful suggests that there were strong reasons for determining as they did? If it was a close decision I could perhaps understand the decision but given how much lawyers like to argue over points of law the decision seems pretty unequivocal. Also, the judges are appointed by the Queen on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. Of the 11, 3 were appointed when Cameron was PM and 6 when May was PM with the other 2 remaining from Gordon Brown's time so over half were appointed since the last General Election during a Tory government.
  • Pross wrote:
    Also, the judges are appointed by the Queen on the recommendation of the Prime Minister.

There's a delicious symmetry in that.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Isn't "constitutional coup" an oxymoron?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    If i was in Government, i'd be seriously concerned over the competence of my legal advisors right now, unless of course they completely disregarded what they had been told.

11-0 seems like a pretty damning verdict.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    If i was in Government, i'd be seriously concerned over the competence of my legal advisors right now, unless of course they completely disregarded what they had been told.

11-0 seems like a pretty damning verdict.

It's worth bearing in mind that the judges in the high court who said that it was not justiciable aren't a bunch of know nothing idiots who don't understand the law.
  • The Times wrote:
    Michael Gove has said Boris Johnson is a "born winner" like Pep Guardiola
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think that's Johnsons problem. Born into the right circles and never had to work hard in his life - bumbling from one thing to the next. No matter how lucky you are - you're not going to solve Brexit.

I'm not sure anyone could in any case.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593
    But the time is coming, the time is coming Mr Speaker, when even these turkeys won’t be able to prevent Christmas.